HIV Transmission and Testing > Am I Infected?

3 or 6 months?

(1/1)

newgirl:
hi! I'm new here- and would appreciate all your help :)

over a year ago I got very stupid and had sex without a condom several times with a guy that was at that time my boyfriend...--- after 14 weeks from our last time I had a HIV Duo Quick test (HIV fv) and it came up negative to my great relieve!

lately I've run into some information that some people should take a test one more time after 6 months----so I got really scared  if I should take the test again??????

I know the duo quick tests can be done already after a few weeks from the unprotected relation date- but are they equaly reliable after 14 weeks???

do I need another test? I suppose not, but we all know that our imagination can turn into an enemy sometimes?....

goNDdomers:
If you want to get tested for piece of mind, please do so.........it seems like it is bothering you a lot.  You don't even know if your boyfriend had HIV in the first place, do you?   Anyways.........13 weeks is sufficient.........the majority of people, 99%, seroconvert within the first 3 months.  I would test at the 6 month period ONLY for piece of mind, you'll be fine........I promise!

jkinatl2:
The six months information is outdated. Three months is considered definitive.

And believe me, I understand about the imagination. It's a powerful allay, and a powerful enemy. You are reliably HIv negative. Of course, you don't need the condom lecture <grin> but I always take the chance to remind anyone who is sexually active, even with condoms, that getting a full STD panel, including an HIV test, twice a year is the most responsible thing to do. It also takes a LOT of the panic and stigma away from an HIV test when it becomes part of a health maintenance program, and routine.

newgirl:
thanks guys! I know I worry too much but thank you for answering!:)
so it doesn't matter that I had "duo quick" test not "elisa" after 3 months? it's not that duo quick is only for the shorter time period?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version