POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 04:34:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 640650
  • Total Topics: 48665
  • Online Today: 181
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 141
Total: 144

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Started Atripla last nite 6/6  (Read 3251 times)

Offline kevykev110

Started Atripla last nite 6/6
« on: June 07, 2010, 09:16:38 AM »
I took my first Atripla pill just after midnite on 7/7/10, after several failed attempteds over the last few months. Im at work now and im am DIZZZZZZZYYYYYYYYY as  hell. I dont think i can drive a car in this state. Dam i cant even walk a strate line. Is there anything that can be done to help alleviate the drunkeness?  its not a good feeeling. omg!!!.. i just wanna shoot everyone lol

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Re: Started Atripla last nite 6/6
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 12:42:20 PM »
I'm not on Atripla but I know that the reason they recommend that it be taken on an empty stomach is in order to minimize the side effects. Did you take it on an empty stomach?

Also, initial side effects tend to get better over time (after a couple of weeks).

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 02:06:18 PM »
Dear, I am so happy you finally started. Please chill out.
And I thought you were gonna start on Friday.  This might have helped a bit. Now you just have to stick it out.

By the way, the high I got in the first days/weeks of sustiva was not unpleasant. Are you sure you can't chlll and look at the sensations in a different light.

But yeah, avoid driving if you are dizzy.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 02:59:43 PM »
the first dose is the strongest.  Glad you started.

Offline kevykev110

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 04:32:52 PM »
I'm not on Atripla but I know that the reason they recommend that it be taken on an empty stomach is in order to minimize the side effects. Did you take it on an empty stomach?

Also, initial side effects tend to get better over time (after a couple of weeks).

What really is an "emtpy stomach"? i mean i wasnt hungry. i had some buffalo wings and a large glass of pina colada (virgin)around 9pm and i took the pill just after mid nite...would that constitute an empty stomach???

Offline kevykev110

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 04:37:03 PM »
Dear, I am so happy you finally started. Please chill out.
And I thought you were gonna start on Friday.  This might have helped a bit. Now you just have to stick it out.

By the way, the high I got in the first days/weeks of sustiva was not unpleasant. Are you sure you can't chlll and look at the sensations in a different light.

But yeah, avoid driving if you are dizzy.

i was gonna start on fri but i went to a party instead....its 435pm now and im still dizzy, im not as dizzy as this  morning wen i first woke up but im still dizzzy. may be i should take it a bit more early/? like 10pm instead of mid nite

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 04:46:44 PM »
i was gonna start on fri but i went to a party instead....its 435pm now and im still dizzy, im not as dizzy as this  morning wen i first woke up but im still dizzzy. may be i should take it a bit more early/? like 10pm instead of mid nite

Like I said previously the first dose is the worst.  I wasn't dizzy the next day but when I woke up in the middle of the night I could barely walk.  Most likely you'll handle tomorrow better than you did today but yes I would try to take it very early (2-3 hours after dinner) and maybe take something to put you to sleep so you won't have to deal with the side effects. You may want to try eating very early to make sure there's nothing in your stomach to intensify the side effects of the drugs.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 07:00:33 PM »
Hey Kev,

I was scared when I took my first dose basck on March 22nd.  The reading materials that come with this medication list a multitude of possible side effects (some of which are not very good).  I did not know what to expect.  In my case, the dreams and dizziness were the only ones.  Those dreams were very strange... (nothing 'night-mareish', just out there).  Getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom I did notice that it was slightly hard to keep my balance.  Of course I was halfway asleep too, that was not the case after the second week. 

Its 7:00PM now so I would guess you have already left the office for the day.  Hope the trip home was uneventful.

I like mecch's advice on looking at this sensation in a different light if you can. 

Offline kevykev110

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 08:41:21 AM »
Most likely you'll handle tomorrow better than you did today but yes I would try to take it very early (2-3 hours after dinner) and maybe take something to put you to sleep so you won't have to deal with the side effects. You may want to try eating very early to make sure there's nothing in your stomach to intensify the side effects of the drugs.
[/quote]

Night #2: I Took it around 11:45pm , I had trouble falling asleep at first but when I did eventually, i was knocked out until the alarm sounded this morning @ 6:35am. I woke up dizzy, of course, but not as dizzy as day one. I am feeling much more energetic and more optimistic.

Offline kevykev110

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 08:59:05 AM »
Hey Kev,

I was scared when I took my first dose basck on March 22nd.  The reading materials that come with this medication list a multitude of possible side effects (some of which are not very good).  I did not know what to expect.  In my case, the dreams and dizziness were the only ones.  Those dreams were very strange... (nothing 'night-mareish', just out there).  Getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom I did notice that it was slightly hard to keep my balance.  Of course I was halfway asleep too, that was not the case after the second week. 

Its 7:00PM now so I would guess you have already left the office for the day.  Hope the trip home was uneventful.

I like mecch's advice on looking at this sensation in a different light if you can. 

Do you still feel dizzy in the mornings?  and do u have a hard time falling asleep?

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 09:09:31 AM »
Good to hear you're well on your way, once again I think you can avoid the dizziness the next morning if you just dose earlier the evening before.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 09:42:34 AM »
Kev,

I have never really had any issues with getting to sleep so I may not be the best 'barometer' when it comes to that particular side effect.  The first few nights I took Atripla, I do remember wondering as I drifted off to sleep, what to expect.  The dizziness is gone and I dont feel abnormal during the day either.  I hope today is much better for you. 

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
by the way... last night I dreamed that I hit a slot machine jackpot of 750,000 bucks...!  They issued a check and I put it in my wallet.  The only bad part was waking up to find it was just a dream.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 09:46:07 AM »
by the way... last night I dreamed that I hit a slot machine jackpot of 750,000 bucks...!  They issued a check and I put it in my wallet.  The only bad part was waking up to find it was just a dream.

I had a dream one of my aunts had died and I was clearing out her house and found a giant jar of pepperccinis or however the hell you spell those damn peppers.  I have an unnatural love of pickled peppers.

Offline kevykev110

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 10:37:26 AM »

LMAFO!!!....i dreamt  i found a baby in an ice-cream bowl. i later adopted the baby. these dreams are so stupid. i be dreaming in 3D--Vivid.

Offline kevykev110

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
Kev,

I have never really had any issues with getting to sleep so I may not be the best 'barometer' when it comes to that particular side effect.  The first few nights I took Atripla, I do remember wondering as I drifted off to sleep, what to expect.  The dizziness is gone and I dont feel abnormal during the day either.  I hope today is much better for you. 

Today is way better, im a bit dizzy, but not as dizzy as yesterday. i can actually walk a strate line and i can drive.. i hope this all clears away in 2weeks or so.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 08:18:33 PM »
I think you'll find it'll be much faster than 2 weeks.

Offline alliance

• hmmmm. . .
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 08:34:21 PM »
I still get the occasional vivid dream. I've had only one that was anywhere near what one --me anyway-- might call disturbing. Otherwise they are entertaining or amusing or just goofy.
It seems like my morning grogginess is still there, but very slowly diminishing.
Considering the alternative - atripla is awesome. I feel so much better now. Make sure you stick to your regimen.
"The influence of each human being on others in this life is a kind of immortality."
10/10/12   CD4=378  %=32   VL=UD
5/10/12     CD4=426  %=32  VL=UD
11/15/11   CD4=296  %=29  VL=UD(20)
6/15/11     CD4=345  %=29  VL=UD(38)
3/15/11     CD4=317  %=31  VL=UD
12/1/10     CD4=315  %=28  VL=UD
8/11/10     CD4=250  %=25  VL=UD
6/10/10     CD4=380  %=24  VL=UD
3/4/10       CD4=340  %=22   VL=UD
1/11/10     CD4=312  %=22   VL =130
11/30/09   CD4=228  %=19  VL=1726
11/20/09    started atripla
10/15/09   CD4=281  %=18   VL=85,000

Offline san2scotts

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 09:32:45 PM »
New to this site, checking out the info. Doc just prescribed Atripla and really do not want to take any meds cause of the side affects. Anyone Not taking meds and still ok. I have been Pos for 16yrs and Never taken anything now hadn't seen a md for over 7years, Healthy as a horse. My ex kept telling me to get my current labs and when I went I found out that I had 147 Tcell and 144,000 Viral. Not sure I want to take anything so sensitive to meds,(Prev antibiotics reaction). Anyone in the same predicument???

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 09:38:37 PM »
New to this site, checking out the info. Doc just prescribed Atripla and really do not want to take any meds cause of the side affects. Anyone Not taking meds and still ok. I have been Pos for 16yrs and Never taken anything now hadn't seen a md for over 7years, Healthy as a horse. My ex kept telling me to get my current labs and when I went I found out that I had 147 Tcell and 144,000 Viral. Not sure I want to take anything so sensitive to meds,(Prev antibiotics reaction). Anyone in the same predicument???

You'll find the side effects diminish pretty quickly.  They weren't anything that I wasn't able to deal with and I know some folks have had stronger side effects than others, but even they say that over time it's nothing to get anxious over.  With your numbers I'd be worried about the Opportunistic Infections rather than drug side effects.

Offline keegancassidy83

• Diagnosed Feb 2010
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 09:21:48 PM »
im starting day or night rather "7" of Atripla and i want to kno when will i start feeling normal again??? if ever.....

Offline mecch

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2010, 04:28:30 AM »
im starting day or night rather "7" of Atripla and i want to kno when will i start feeling normal again??? if ever.....

Sorry, I don't understand your comment and the "7".
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline kevykev110

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 11:03:58 AM »
I think you'll find it'll be much faster than 2 weeks.

youre rite, im on day 4 and i woke up this morning with a lilttle dizzyness. On day one the dizzyness was 10/10 and today (day 4) its 4/10. On day one it lasted all day as compared to today the dizziness is out by 1030am. So im definitely making progress.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 11:05:59 AM »
That's generally the case with everyone.  The exceptions seem to be few and far between, it may diminish a little more.  Eventually I got to the point that I only felt dizziness when I ate right before taking the pill, and even that was only for a couple of months.  I think now I could probably stuff myself and take it and be fine.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 09:20:33 PM »
Hi Kev,

Tonight you will be one week on Atripla.  Hope things are going well for you. 

Offline kevykev110

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2010, 09:00:06 AM »
UPDATE:  one week after taking my first Atripla pill, i am doing great. No side effects, --i mean 0. The first few days i was dizzy of course, this morning i woke up with no dizzyness. None whatsoever.
Thanks be to God.

On another note, On sat nite, i went to the club (did not drink). I got home about 5am, took my atripla and then went to bed. I woke up sunday morning about 9am (4hrs after going to bed) with some dizzyness and i went to play basketball. As i began to play the dizzyness subsided. Is that dangerous?  And thats the very first time i took the pill over 4hrs late. I usually take it around 11pm-12 midnite.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2010, 09:25:06 AM »
Hi Kevy -
As long as you don't make switching the times a habit, you should be okay --  I have missed my dose a couple of times since beginning about six months ago and have taken it a little later than usual a couple of times.  I usually take mine between 10 and midnight.  I have been gradually moving it up a bit to see if it alleviates some of the morning grogginess - but I am not much of a morning person anyway, so it may not really make a big difference.

Glad to hear that it is going well with the Atripla - I get my latest numbers this afternoon, so I will be posting them later today.

September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline mecch

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2010, 09:01:51 AM »
On another note, On sat nite, i went to the club (did not drink). I got home about 5am, took my atripla and then went to bed. I woke up sunday morning about 9am (4hrs after going to bed) with some dizzyness and i went to play basketball. As i began to play the dizzyness subsided. Is that dangerous?  And thats the very first time i took the pill over 4hrs late. I usually take it around 11pm-12 midnite.

Enjoy your life. If you are going out, take the pill with you and pop it when is time.

I think you are not supposed to fuck too much with great time differences until you are well and good undetectable.

Offline kevykev110

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2010, 10:12:34 AM »
If you are going out, take the pill with you and pop it when is time.

The thing is,,if  i take the pill while out i may feel dizzy and i have to drive. I was thinkin i should take it like about 330-4:00am , if im at the club. The club usually ends at 4am and im home by 5am. I have never taken the pill without being knocked out within 15-30mins. In other words, once i take the pill im usually i usually fall asleep 15-30 mins later. I dont know what it will be like to be up for a few hrs after takin the pill..

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.