POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 01:50:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 643016
  • Total Topics: 48924
  • Online Today: 196
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Just got older and checking in to say hey  (Read 998 times)

Offline MarcoPoz

Just got older and checking in to say hey
« on: June 01, 2010, 10:23:04 AM »
Hey all,
Been awhile since I've checked in here and I just want to say hi to everyone.  I just turned 45 and am staring down the barrell of a 20 year diagnosis with HIV. It seems the only place I ever really 'talk' about my personal walk with HIV is here--despite the fact that I've worked in HIV care, prevention, policy and advocacy since 1994.  I think other people's issues are more important and far more interesting than mine ;)  Sure, I give advice etc when asked, but I'm not one to 'over share' I quess.

So this year I've had a few thoughts about my impending 2 decades living with HIV:

Most of alll of my time and energy goes into fighting this disease.  I work to help improve prevention efforts, care paractices and access, policy changes and accountability/quality enhancement of our services.  I counsel, write, consult, balance budgets, quality assure, provide technical assistance, whine, bitch and pressure legislators.  I've protested, been arrested and helped at Hospice.

When I started working in HIV, I thought it was a good way to give back to those who gave me so much support early on in my diagnosis.  I felt like the odd-man-out quite often because there were so few straight men living with HIV like me around to give and receive support.  I had no idea I'd still be working at this for so long and how it would encompass so much of 'me'.

I went too far and broke.  In my desire to give back--and maybe bury myself in work, I forgot to 'live'.  I slowly built my life back by giving myself permission to live rather than exist.  I dove head first back into my passions and reclaimed what I thought HIV had taken from me.  I've reclaimed my music, art, passions and become a competitive athlete again. At the same time, I've been re-energized in my advocacy efforts and have helped take a little organization into the national debates about HIV.

Now, maybe I'm not soley defined by HIV.  Perhaps now I've come closer to becoming the man I always wanted to be.  I love more freely and in ways I'm only beginig to understand.  I do not suffer fools--or argue with them anymore.  I simply remind myself of the danger of not seeing a problem more clearly and thoughtfully.

I've learned that I cannot be a teacher as if I had some grand wisdom to pass on--but rather I can be a listener who perhaps can empathize more because of my history and my path.

I go still from anger, sadness, grief, acceptance, understanding and joy---sometimes all in one day if my meds haven't been 'calibrated' in awhile :D  But I've realized that this is how it is going to be for me--no plateau of divine acceptance and zen-like understanding of my place--but a daily experience of what it is like to LIVE with HIV--good and bad.

Maybe the best I can do is keep pushing through the 'bad' and seek out the sublime wherever it is?  If that's NOT it--please don't tell me.  I look forward to hunting the sublime.

Peace

Offline MarcoPoz

Re: Just got older and checking in to say hey
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 10:27:19 AM »
Sheesh!  I guess I DID over-share.  Yikes, sorry.

-Peace

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.