Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:34:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 286
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 288
Total: 288

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I was just told my daughter is HIV+  (Read 7021 times)

Offline Mother Teresa

I was just told my daughter is HIV+
« on: May 29, 2010, 08:50:39 am »
My daughter told me this week that she tested positive for HIV and she sent me a link to this forum.  So I started reading some of the comments and going through the categories that I thought would be associated with what she is going through.  I read her post here and can't believe how strong my little girl is and what she went through.  I want to thank everyone that has responded to her post and given her encouragement.  I too was very unknowledgeable about HIV until I started reading on the forum and now I have a better sense of what to expect and since she is so strong I know she will do whatever it takes to keep herself healthy for her children and her husband.  Is there any advice anyone can give me to be support to her?  I love my daughter and to me nothing will ever change that.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: I was just told my daughter is HIV+
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 09:01:22 am »
Welcome to the Forums MT .

I'm sorry your daughter tested poz . Its wonderful you are taking the time to educate your self about HIV , that in it self is a great way to support your daughter .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 09:15:46 am »
I see the apple doesnt fall far from the tree. Glad to hear you are as strong and open as she is! Welcome
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 11:16:08 pm »
Not only have you given your child life, you are there to support her as she goes through it.

You are a wonderful Mother.

Welcome to the Forums.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline TabooPrincess

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 09:47:22 am »
This is inspiring.  I can't find enough courage to tell my mum - I don't think I could bear to see the look in her eyes although I think she would respond very much like you have. 
09/ 2008 - Seroconversion
11/2008 - Tested pos, cd4 640 vl 25400
12/2008 - cd4 794 vl 27798, 35%
03/2009 - cd4 844 vl 68846, 35%
06/2009 - cd4 476 vl 49151, 33% (pregnancy confirmed)
08/2009 - cd4 464 vl 54662, 32%
Started meds for pregnancy (Kaletra, AZT, Viread)
09/2009 - cd4 841 vl 3213, 42%
10/2009 - cd4 860 vl 1088, 41%
11/2009 - cd4 771 vl 563, 38%
12/2009 - cd4 885 vl 151 42%
Discontinued meds after baby born
02/2010 - cd4 841 vl 63781, 38%
05/2010 - cd4 1080 vl 113000, 39%
08/2010 - cd4 770 vl 109242
12/2010 - cd4 642 vl 111000, 34%
06/2011 - cd4 450 vl 222000, 33%
11/2011 - cd4 419 vl 212000, 24%
03/2012 - cd4 280 vl 118000, 26% (repeated Cd4 at 360)
05/2012 -cd4 360 vl 99,190
10/2012 Atripla, cd4 690, vl 80
12/2012 Darunavir, norvir, truvada, Cd4 680, vl u/d
07/2013 cd4 750,ud

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 10:02:20 am »
To answer your question; Love her my dear, just love and support her in her life. 

In the bar above these forums, there is a button "All About HIV", go in there and read all the lessons, and learn, learn, learn.  I have found in the last 27 years I have been living with this bug, that knowledge is definitely power.  Also, it is really important for her continuing good health to have a doctor that is really knowledgeable about this disease.  If she cannot find one locally, then she must spread out her search, because many doctors in this country are really poorly informed about this disease, and it is a life and death issue to not have a doctor of real knowledge.  A teaching hospital is usually the best to find doctors with knowledge, and this can mean the difference between handling the disease, and mastering it.  I think you get it.  :)

Just be there for her, and do all you can to make it easy for her to keep HIV a part of her life, and not the master of it.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Mother Teresa

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 08:30:00 pm »
Thank you all for your encouraging words.   :-* I believe she has found a wonderful doctor that specializes only in HIV and it is a teaching/learning environment.  She has her appointment tomorrow to see what meds they are going to start her on and they ran numerous other tests to see if this person infected her with anything else.  I only pray that this was all.  I have been reading the lessons and my daughter is teaching me things that she has researched since she was notified of her condition. 

I have read alot of the posts throughout the site and I am reassured that she can maintain a long life, barring any accidents of course ::) , and seeing her own daughters grown up and have families of their own.

Oh and I plan on just keep loving her and supporting her for as long as I draw breath.

Thanks
MT

Offline squaw

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 07:20:14 pm »
Mother Teresa,

We are in the same boat.  My 28 year old son just told me last week that he is HIV positive.  I am so happy for your daughter that she has your love and encouragement.  Like you, I love and support my child regardless.  I will keep you and your daughter and my thoughts and prayers as we all go through this journey together.  Feel free to contact me if you want to talk.

Squaw

Offline Mother Teresa

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 10:31:10 am »
Sorry Squaw, I haven't been on for awhile :-[ have so much going on in my own life.  Yeah my daughter is doing wonderfully...had a bad reaction to the Bactrum and thankfully she got off of it in time....her pharmacists said her symptoms were like Stevens-Johnson Syndrome....so I am glad she stopped it when she did....her counts were doing better and we should know this next lab result if they will have to put her on a new antibotic. 

She will do fine as I am sure your son will do too.  Ditto on the contacting thing....I am only as far as the computer keyboard.

Teresa :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.