Main Forums > Living With HIV

Pawsitive Praise

<< < (2/12) > >>

mecch:
I think that lady has a good case.  Expecting to be in a printed magazine for a certain audience is not the same as being forever plastered all over the Internet.

leatherman:

--- Quote from: mecch on May 28, 2010, 04:18:48 PM ---Expecting to be in a printed magazine for a certain audience is not the same as being forever plastered all over the Internet.

--- End quote ---
yep but once you sign that open-ended agreement, just like we've been talking about being exposed on the internet, I think all bets are off (legally). I guess what we're learning, as the digital age progresses, is that everyone is exposed unless you stay in your home AND off the net. With cameras every where (much less stepping in front of one for money as this lady did) and blogs, your face or info could end up pretty much anywhere.

mecch:
I think you could have a contract for use in print that forbids internet use by the company paying you for the image.  Of course another person could plaster you all over, but that would not be the same. 

For example, if a Hollywood star does and embarrassing but lucrative commercial for Japan, the company is forbidden to use that material in a different format in a different country.  We might be able to sleuth it up on the Internet however, of course.

I don't think this women expected such wide exposure, but it would come down to her contract wether the company is within its rights or not.

Back to the other topic.  Isn't there any kind of dog that would be happy with 8 hour stretches inside? I asked around here and they all told me - really impossible, not nice at all to any dog.

Inchlingblue:

--- Quote from: mecch on May 28, 2010, 04:48:56 PM ---
Back to the other topic.  Isn't there any kind of dog that would be happy with 8 hour stretches inside? I asked around here and they all told me - really impossible, not nice at all to any dog.

--- End quote ---

In general it's not a good idea but it depends. What a lot of people do in bigger cities, for example, is hire a dog walker who can come in the middle of the day and walk the dog.

There are also lots of doggie day care centers becoming more popular where people can leave their dogs interacting all day with other dogs while they are at work. They even have cameras set up so people can log in and check up on their dogs in real time.

Dogs are pack animals so spending 8+ hours alone is not good for most dogs. In that kind of situation it's sometimes better to get two dogs who can keep each other company.

Dogs like routine so if you had two dogs who could keep each other company all day that could work, as long as they knew you were coming home at a specific time, they can get used to they're routine and be fine. Of course, you'd have to make sure to take them out for good walks or runs before and after work. If you have a house with a yard, it's possible to put in a dog door so that they can go outside if necessary.

Some dogs need more exercise than others. Another option is to adopt a couple of senior dogs, who can be very loving and are way past the puppy phase so they don't need as much activity.

Is the situation with animals (especially dogs and cats) as bad in Europe as it is in the US? What I mean is, it's much better to adopt a dog from a rescue organization or a local shelter as opposed to buying a dog online or going through a breeder. Yes, there are some responsible breeders out there but there are many irresponsible ones who claim to be responsible and are just adding to the overpopulation and suffering of animals. And as far as pet shops go, fuggedaboutit, those poor dogs are all from puppy mills, very sad.

If you do get a dog it's important to get them spayed or neutered. Not only does this prevent unwanted pregnancies but it really tends to calm the animal down overall.

mecch:
I wouldnt be away every day for 8 hours.
I was given the same advice you just gave me. But so many thanks for suggestions of work arounds - like a dog walker and 2 dogs.

Here in Switzerland you are practically required to get two cats, now, instead of one. Not sure of dogs.  But yeah, there is sense that its important to adopt.  But also people are snobs, so many people have money, so pure breds are highly popular.  Maybe adobt a purebred!
I spend my weekends with magnificent purebreds on a farm. Incredible dogs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version