POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 11:59:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 632652
  • Total Topics: 47924
  • Online Today: 288
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I test positive on April 21st!  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Jayad

I test positive on April 21st!
« on: June 23, 2010, 01:16:08 AM »
Hello all this is my first post since finding out I was positive on April 21st.  I am a 31 year old male.  Let me tell you, I was a wreck when I first found out I was poz.  I was uneducated and I thought I was going to be dead in 10 years.  When I look back I laugh that I even thought that way.  I am now educated about the disease and know it is not a death sentence.  It is so weird, but I am now happier than I have ever been in my life.  As anyone else had this happen to them? I am so happy and content with everything in my life much more so than when I was negative.  Is it because I now feel that I am part of as group?  I don't know but I feel as if I was destined to get HIV.  I also have another question, I want to work in the field of HIV now, maybe as a counselor or a case worker for HIV infected people.  First of all, can someone that is poz be a case worker or counselor for people that are poz, and if so, what kind of education or degree do I need to get a job like that?  Thanks for everyones time.

Good Health!!

Jayad

Tested Poz--Apr 21, 2010
CD4-692--Viral Load 17100--May 2010
April 21, 2010-Tested Positive
May 26, 2010-CD4-692 (39%) VL 17100. No Meds.
September 8, 2010-CD4-551 (37%) VL 10241 Still no Meds
Found to have resistance to Videx, Rescriptor, Sustiva, Viramune, Viracept.
December 1, 2010-CD4-476 (34%) VL 38000.
December 5, 2010-Started Combivir.
January 13, 2011-No CD4 Count Done. VL 190!!!!!!
January 15, 2011-Started Viread and Intelence
Feb 15, 2011-Undetectable!!!
April 15, 2011-CD4 898 (43.4%) U/D

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: I test positive on April 21st!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 01:37:41 AM »
Welcome to the forums Jayad .

If you are for real about finding joy in your new status with HIV I would suggest some counseling before I considered pursuing your dream of counseling others with Aids . I am pretty sure you are alone about feeling happy to being diagnosed with HIV and may have a problem relating to how others feel about testing positive .  

Offline Jayad

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 01:42:17 AM »
Well let me clarify, I am not happy that I am HIV positive, but I am happy living with the disease.  I would love to be HIV neg, but after my grieving process, I realized I am going to be OK, I also suspected I had it for a while and I guess getting the test and finally knowing was also a relief and made me a happier person.  Everyone's case with HIV is different and I know this, that's why I think I would be a good counselor or case worker. 

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 01:48:28 AM »
Well let me clarify, I am not happy that I am HIV positive, but I am happy living with the disease.  I would love to be HIV neg, but after my grieving process, I realized I am going to be OK, I also suspected I had it for a while and I guess getting the test and finally knowing was also a relief and made me a happier person.  Everyone's case with HIV is different and I know this, that's why I think I would be a good counselor or case worker. 

Hey Jayad,

I'm sure you'd make a smashing counsellor too. What JG is saying is you should settle into your diagnosis (it can take longer than you might think) and then undertake some professional training in working with people with HIV.

Also, welcome to the Forums. :)

MtD

Offline Jayad

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 01:53:03 AM »
Thanks.  Well I don't think I can just get hired right off the bat too, I know its going to take some schooling.  But thanks both of you for the insight, I appreciate it greatly.  Also I had another question, is anyone on here going on that HIV cruise in October?

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 09:34:23 AM »
Jayad,
  Welcome to the forums.  Most organizations who provide counseling services do not discriminate on the basis of HIV status.  So, yes, you could certainly volunteer or work as a counselor, peer mentor, or case worker.  Some positions may require more training than others.

I would suggest that you look for a social group near where you live as that may help you acclimate better. 

I'm not going on the cruise in October, but a vacation with other guys can be alot of fun.  I went on one in January.  Almost everyone had a good time. 

Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.