POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 14, 2014, 10:51:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 638714
  • Total Topics: 48488
  • Online Today: 204
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Wedding and School Reunion Season  (Read 1231 times)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Wedding and School Reunion Season
« on: May 22, 2010, 07:21:14 AM »
Please share your thoughts and stories about weddings and school reunions. 

You see people you don't see that often but still have lifelong connection - family, friends, enemies, hehehe.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

Re: Wedding and School Reunion Season
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 07:46:24 AM »
The first one I want to share is about weddings, renunions and "radiance", for lack of better word.

In high school and college we used to gossip about when people "peaked".  Peaking could be beauty or social status or appeal, or some combination.  For instance I had buddies who were just brilliant at 13 or 14 and by senior year seemed uninteresting, maybe on the wrong path. (As if there is a right path!)  Or there were those vivacious girls, the nice ones and with big boobs, who were the cats meow in junior high, then faded from the radar. Or the reverse.  Suddenly the frog turns into a prince.  This one shy chinese boy was suddenly big and bold and going to Harvard.  Some people don't change much and some do.  Some people stay appealing forever.  Or always kinda bleh, or so on, or worse.

My goldenboy cousin was the star quarterback and he was gorgeous and funny and fun and kind.  He had beautiful curly hair.  In all the right places!  His brother was smarter and became a stud in college, then a successful doctor.  The quarterback was washed up by 35 with troubles, bad marriage, drinking, injuries. He disappeared from family events.  But then last year he was back and in form again, it made me so happy.

I went to a pretty small high school so we all knew each other.  I mention that because it seems how much we notice people goes in waves.  You have a relationship for a moment, a time, and then you maybe stop looking and appreciating people for who they are in the new moment and then something goes pop and realise that time has passed - and you look again and the person is the same, or really not the same at all!  

Doesn't this happen to you, in your work, family, old friends?  Oh my, mom is an old lady!  Your cousins married with children in college.  Your best friend from 10 years old, who you didn't like so much at 16, contacts you on Facebook and seems like such a cool guy. Oh, there he is, Scotty or Jimmy or Bobby, but with a middle-aged face and doughy body!  

« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 08:03:08 AM by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 08:00:51 AM »
Another one - first time I took a boy friend to a family wedding.

I was in my early 30's. I came out to my folks in my late 20's and then the boyfriends and the weddings never really coincided or seemed like a good idea.  Well, once it did, but my bf was just too bizarre, I thought, but maybe I wasn't ready.

So finally the big day arrives and it was just a gorgeous wedding and everyone was so nice to me and my bf.  (Well he was a "prize", too - a handsome charming young doctor - what is it about families and doctors - everyone is so happy when you have a doctor bf!)  

Had to wonder why 10 years before I worried about such things.  But I rethought and maybe I was just waiting to be sure of myself, and it didn't have much at all to do with family.

However, this was also the first time in all my big extended family history, anyone had brought an announced, same sex partner to a wedding or family party of some sort.

I have heard such horror stories and should just thank my family for being both nice and finally blase about it.

(Now, I'll have to go to my grave wondering how my clearly transvestite boyfriend would have gone over.)   ::) ??? :o

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 10:25:33 AM »
I don't think my boyfriend would appreciate the homophobia and name calling that occurs at my family gatherings.  As for people peaking...I really don't think about people in terms of their success but more their accumulated wisdom.  Some people never seem to learn anything, this inevitably leads to them repeating the same mistakes over and over again instead of finding some sort of bliss in their all too short lives.

Offline mecch

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 11:28:02 AM »
Hell, is the family homophobic to your face, knowing you are gay? Or they don't know? Curious.

Offline mecch

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 11:41:40 AM »
Janis Joplin at her 10th high-school reunion!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mOP8ucVAD0

Justin/Austin dance at Hilda's Wedding, Ugly Betty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oda0TjDV1cM
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 11:55:41 AM by mecch »

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 07:24:35 PM »
Hell, is the family homophobic to your face, knowing you are gay? Or they don't know? Curious.
I'm a confirmed bachelor.  I'm sure at the age of 28 and being unmarried and not dating they either assume I'm really weird or gay (I don't really question or care).  I'm not out to my extended family however.

Offline WillyWump

• your ramblings bore Yamaguchi Kitteh
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 07:54:59 PM »
School reunions suck. Ive never been to one. I dont want to see all the now fat, bald football players that were once the "apple of my eye". It only reinforeces the fact that im getting old.

Weddings, on the other hand, are delighful! I cant wait for mine!

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Online leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 08:24:28 PM »
Weddings, on the other hand, are delightful!
I missed my mom's 2nd marriage and both my brother's weddings because I was living over 500 miles away. One ex-roommate (the RN that was also sick when I was sick with pneumonia and no help at all LOL) snuck off and got married by the justice of the peace at 4:45 on a friday afternoon and then she didn't tell me for three days. So I've only attend the one wedding of a very close friend. (I also did photography for her ceremony too) But since her and hubby divorced 9 months later, I haven't attended any others.  ::)   :D

As far as reunions, even though I wasn't able to attend any reunions here in NC while I was living in OH, now that I'm back, I'm really anxious for a reunion. A lot has changed in 30 yrs (but not my weight LOL) and I'd love to see those people from my Baptist high school and freak them out :o with my tales of being gay, having AIDS, drugs, sex and rock-n-roll.  ;D
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 01:18:52 AM »
School reunions suck. Ive never been to one.

Now you're just talkin' shit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39kgDpFVLws
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 02:28:46 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8wQppcVkUQ&feature=related

Edit:  Miss P I love you a little bit more for linking that by the way.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 02:29:42 AM »
It should go without saying that I can watch that film over and over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJatHPrvCiU&NR
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 05:51:02 AM »

Davy - the only gay in the village - goes to a wedding:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/52119/gay_at_the_wedding/

Offline northernguy

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 06:05:29 PM »
At 45 all my friends are now married off or never will be.  Remarriages after divorce don't seem to be celebrated with the same public display.

Never been to a high school reunion, and now that HIV has wrecked my skin I doubt I ever will, don't want to deal with the questions.
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline weasel

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »

Right After the LAS VEGAS  Gathering I am heading to Connecticut !

A class Reunion !  I LOVE CLASS REUINONS !

I may not be the youngest looking . But I have a ball when I go !

Yes some look   awful !  fat , bald , just icky !

Who cares ?

The fun is just seeing people  I have liked for   over 50 years  :o

I shall always make time for a reunion of any kind !

My family reunions are like a bad " B "   movie ,at some point there IS ALWAYS   a fight   ::)

last July bob and I got Married IT WAS FABULOUS !

Maybe I can get the wedding licence this year  ???

weasel
" Live and let Live "

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.