POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 01:12:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650045
  • Total Topics: 49619
  • Online Today: 177
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 133
Total: 136

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Possible HIV - very scared - PLEASE HELP  (Read 3478 times)

Offline scarredman

Possible HIV - very scared - PLEASE HELP
« on: May 20, 2010, 06:24:36 AM »
Hello !
Please, please sorry for my longer message.

I had protected vaginal sex with prostitute on April, 3. As I said, the sex was with condom, but 3-4 hours before the sex, I've shaved some muff at root and down part of my penis, without any visible skin injury or bleeding. During the intercourse, I?ve spotted that the condom is moved up little, and I returned it to the base of the penis again.

When I got home I started to think what I did and started to worry and thinking about what maybe be happening. Three days later (April, 6.) I developed low grade fever 37.2 C (99F) and mild sore throat. I was scared. The fever was present only during the day in range 37.0-37.3 C (98.6-99.2 F). After 10:00PM approximatively, it stops and I feel better (the temperature is in range 36.3-36.7 C). From 10:00 or 11:00 AM, the fever backs. Also, I sometimes felt my hand or some part of body are very hot. I developed some sort of dizziness (lightheadedness) after 3-4 days and feel little lack of power in my knees and legs. I think that my tongue was little white (not sure) and little rough. Sometimes I had strange cold-sweats. This condition lasts from April, 6. I must mention that I had/have huge huge stress, I'm constantly thinking about this. For the first 2 weeks I didn?t eat and lost some kilos. I could not say that my lack of appetite was bound to this, because, when I felt little relaxed, I felt little hungry. I don't know did I developed rush, but I spotted two little red raised spots on my left forearm and one little red spot on my right forearm. All three were in center of a hair. They resolved after 3-4 days.

On April 13, I did standard blood test, just to see what is the current blood state. Everything was OK.
Also, on April 16 (2 weeks after possible exposure), I did ELFA-HIV-Antigen test and it was negative. It was relaxed me little.

I didn't develop headaches, join pain, vomiting or nausea. Sometimes, I felt pain in my neck, but nothing was swollen (just as you sleep in wrong position) ? resolved in one day.

Around April 20, I developed some type of muscle twitching. It lasted a few days. Also, I noticed 3 red small bumps at my right thigh ? don?t know can it be in a relation with hiv rash.

From April 21, my body temperature backed to normal ranges. Also, I relaxed myself little ? started to eat, etc. Muscle twitching was occurred sometimes, but more rarely. I had dizziness (lightheadedness) sometimes.

I have had some exams with doctors: infectology expert and dermatovenerology expert, but all said to me that everything is OK and this state is projection of my huge fear and stress. But? I?m so worried.

From April 25 to May 03, my body temperature increased again to range 37.0-37.3 C (98.6-99.2 F) for only few hours per day. Also, during nights everything is OK. My stress is raised again.

On May 04 (31st day from potential exposure) I did mini-Vidas ELFA HIV DUO Anitgen/Antibody test. It was negative. Doctor said to me that I can rely on this result, because the manufacturer?s recommendation for test is 28 days from potential exposure. Again, my body temperature backed in normal range.

Sometimes I feel some very little pain in my neck and armpits. One day it is neck, one day it is left armpit, other day right armpit, etc. Also, I think that I have something little swollen, but I?m not sure, because I constantly weigh on my neck and armpits with my fingers, so maybe it causes small pain I have.

During this 6 weeks, I very often had/have diarrhea, but only once per day without any other stomach problem or pain.

Also, I?m not sure, but I think that it was about several days or maybe during the second week, I developed or spotted (maybe I did not notice it before) one white thick line on my inner cheek (1,5-2cm in length) and one very small while lesion on my right cheek. The dentist told me that it is bound to the irritation caused by small bites of my teeth (she said that I constantly bite myself ? cheek). It is sometimes almost unnoticeable and sometimes is visible. But, I?m scared that it maybe oral hair leukoplakia. Just to notice: I have no any changes on the lateral sides of my tongue. Also, maybe my tongue is little white, but the dentist said to me that everything is normal with my tongue.

On May 17 (today) ? 6 weeks after potential exposure -  I did another HIV test. It was Roche HIV Combi Ag/Ab test. Result = negative (non-reactive).

I'm still concern about window period and what if I did not develop detectable amount of antigens or antibodies during this first 6 weeks. And millions of "what if" questions...

I feel much better now, but I still have panic attacks and I'm constantly thinking about my situation. I don't know is it possible for ARS symptoms to show during some days, then disappear, and show again after few days (for example neck pain, watery stool (some days I have normal stool and one day I have watery), raised body temperature to 37.1C (98.8F) for one or two hour, etc).

I did again complete blood test, with liver enzymes and thyroid hormones, CRP and erythrocyte sedimentation and everything is OK and in normal ranges.

Because of OHL assumption, I did Epstein-Barr virus test (I?ve read that the OHL is related to EBV in HIV infected person). The results:
Epstein-Barr CA IgM At = <10,0 U/ml (ref.value <20,0) => OK
Epstein-Barr CA IgG At = 655,0 U/ml (ref.value <20,0) => not OK.
In laboratory, the doctor said to me that I had the infection in the past (not known when), and said that everything is OK. But, I'm very scared and concerned.

What do you think about my concerning and these questions:
1. What are the chances of me getting HIV?
2. Could this be a sign of some ARS or early HIV symptoms?
3. Is the temperature of 37.2C (99F) considered as ARS fever?
4. Can the white appearances in my mouth be considered as oral hairy leukoplakia?
5. Can HIV damage the immune system so fast, for 6 weeks, and some of such infections can show or reactivate?
6. Could this really be a projection of my very huge scare, stress and anxiety?
7. Can I rely on my HIV test results and can I say that it is conclusive?

Thank you in advance!
Best regards !
P.S. Sorry for this long post.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
Re: Possible HIV - very scared - PLEASE HELP
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 06:41:37 AM »
Scarred,

The only part of your post we need to be concerned with is this:

I had protected vaginal sex with prostitute on April, 3. As I said, the sex was with condom, but 3-4 hours before the sex, I've shaved some muff at root and down part of my penis, without any visible skin injury or bleeding. During the intercourse, I?ve spotted that the condom is moved up little, and I returned it to the base of the penis again.

You had protected vaginal sex and you were not at any risk of HIV infection. It doesn't matter that the condom moved up a little bit - that happens. It doesn't matter that you shaved the base of your dangler a few hours before.

HIV cannot penetrate your skin, even after you shave.

So let me make this very clear: you were not at risk of HIV infection from this encounter and you did not need to be tested for HIV.

Your 6 week negative HIV test result is conclusive. You are HIV negative.

Whatever is causing the symptoms you've described at painful length, it isn't HIV. If you feel ill please work with your doctor to determine the cause.

I would also ask that you take the time to read our Welcome Thread and follow the links to our lessons on HIV transmission and our posting guidelines.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.