Main Forums > Living With HIV

Swollen lymph nodes??

(1/4) > >>

otherplaces:

Here's something I wonder about. I was infected about 9 months ago. I had the whole crazy flu thing that was nothing like a normal flu thing. I felt pretty damn sick. My doc said it was a moderate primary infection. Whatever. Swollen lymph nodes was a part of that whole thing. But they've never really gone away. I got over the illness. I've gained back the weight. But my left lymph node almost always feels just off. It doesn't hurt. I don't feel bad physically at all. But it's almost always there. Sometimes my right one too but alot less...could one side of my body be more heavily infectedjavascript:void(0);. And sometimes it just goes away. Stress does seem to be a factor, but not always. If I haven't eaten it seems to be a factor, but that doesn't mean it goes away when I've eaten well during the day. Not much rhyme or reason to it all. My doc said swollen lymph nodes in HIV+ people isn't unusual...don't worry about it. I even read a post from a doc on thebody.com that swollen lymph nodes could be good. But my favorite is the suggestion that it's psychosomatic. Considering the same people told me my flu was psychosomatic and not HIV....I'm tired of this explanation.

What are your experiences?

thanks,
OP

Matty the Damned:

--- Quote from: otherplaces on June 02, 2006, 02:11:20 AM ---Here's something I wonder about. I was infected about 9 months ago. I had the whole crazy flu thing that was nothing like a normal flu thing. I felt pretty damn sick. My doc said it was a moderate primary infection. Whatever. Swollen lymph nodes was a part of that whole thing. But they've never really gone away. I got over the illness. I've gained back the weight. But my left lymph node almost always feels just off. It doesn't hurt. I don't feel bad physically at all. But it's almost always there. Sometimes my right one too but alot less...could one side of my body be more heavily infectedjavascript:void(0);. And sometimes it just goes away. Stress does seem to be a factor, but not always. If I haven't eaten it seems to be a factor, but that doesn't mean it goes away when I've eaten well during the day. Not much rhyme or reason to it all. My doc said swollen lymph nodes in HIV+ people isn't unusual...don't worry about it. I even read a post from a doc on thebody.com that swollen lymph nodes could be good. But my favorite is the suggestion that it's psychosomatic. Considering the same people told me my flu was psychosomatic and not HIV....I'm tired of this explanation.

What are your experiences?

thanks,
OP

--- End quote ---

OP,

What you experienced was the dreaded seroconversion illness, but you know that now. ;) Many HIV positive types have chronically swollen lymph nodes. I know I do. It's common early in the infection, but also later on. They will probably go down as your immune system begins to fight back against the virus.

Try not to prod your glands too much -- that also makes them swell. They're fussy little buggers.

MtD

WARNING TO ANY WORRIED WELLS THAT MAY BE READING THIS: My comments to OP about his glands are specific to his case. They have nothing to do with your stuff. I better not see comments about 'Matty the Damned said swollen glands . . . .' in the Am I Infected Forum or christ help you. I mean it. Symptom shopping is REALLY uncool and will earn my HUGE pissed offness and that of other experts and regular contributors too. You will learn that the Fear of HIV is nothing compared to the Fear of MtD.

otherplaces:

Yeah, but this is 9 months after seroconversion. I'm a done seroconverting. Someone needs to tell my lymph nodes to chill...shows over.

Tar Heel:
I was exposed May 05 and got sick the next week with bad swollen nodes etc....   The nodes flared up every few weekls until i past the year mark.  In the last few months, I feel better than i have felt in a long time (partly because I'm looking forward to this summer when last summer I was sick off and on the entire time.)

But give your body a year to adjust to the HIV.  From what I have seen and heard, most people with a decent immune system do well after that mark.  My doctor called what you are going thru as "trying to find the viral set point" which he explained as a period of time your body and the HIV battle pretty hard.

If that's the case, I'm glad I went thru it.  That means my body is on alert for problems.

Matty the Damned:

--- Quote from: otherplaces on June 02, 2006, 02:22:52 AM ---Yeah, but this is 9 months after seroconversion. I'm a done seroconverting. Someone needs to tell my lymph nodes to chill...shows over.

--- End quote ---

Babe,

I seroconverted about 5-6 years ago (I didn't get seroconversion illness though) and my glands are STILL swollen. They go up and down, but they're always a bit cranky. And not just the ones in my neck either. ;)

Nodes do what they do. We have little control over the blighters.

MtD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version