HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

Don't know what's next??

(1/8) > >>

mannybolla:
Hi, I recently had an sexual encounter where I am concerned that I may have been exposed to HIV.  I am a male and in the process of putting on a condem on a someone (who was a casual sexual encounter) I at first put it on the wrong way, I immidiately noticed it and turned it around, kind of rub it with my fingers to wipe away any pre-cum and then we had anal sex ( I was bottom).  Would this incident put me at risk?  I am considering going to an ER to see if I can get PEP, is this an over reaction?

Thanks

hm

Ann:
Manny,

Yes, going for PEP is an overreaction.

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus that does not survive in an infectable state when it is exposed to the environment outside the human body, as any precum would have been in this case. You would not have become infected from this.

It's good to hear you are making sure condoms are being used. You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Although you do not need testing over this incident, let alone PEP, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann

mannybolla:
Would this be true also if the time frame from when I used my fingers to wipe off any precum from putting on the condom inside out to the time he put it in was about 30 seconds?

RapidRod:
Like Ann has said in her post. You didn't have a risk, by flipping the condom over and putting it on correctly.

Andy Velez:
And even assuming the fella you were with is HIV+ (which you don't know) and some precum got on to the condom, HIV is a fragile virus and would not be lurking on the condom waiting for it to be transmitted in this beyond unlikely manner.

Please read the lesson on transmission (link in first thread in this section) so that you are down with the basics about this subject.

Cheers,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version