Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Forum

IMPORTANT: PERSONALIZED AVATARS/FORUMS PICTURES

<< < (2/11) > >>

mecch:
And, please, why would hackers be interested in seeding this havoc on this Forum?

emeraldize:
Another question...does this have anything to do with the recent, seeming to be site-related spam e-mails I'm receiving? Not knowing what form the hacking takes and if they're accessing personal e-mail addresses I've gotten a half dozen within the last two weeks which then link to Canadian drug sources. Thanks much.

leatherman:

--- Quote from: mecch on May 01, 2010, 04:16:36 PM ---And, please, why would hackers be interested in seeding this havoc on this Forum?

--- End quote ---
for the same reason any virus/spam happens - because some fool out there will respond and send money. spamming/hacking takes next to no effort on the other end and if just one idiot responds that's money somebody didn't even have to work for.

unforuntately spamming makes easy money so there's just no stopping it.

Tim Horn:

--- Quote from: mecch on May 01, 2010, 04:16:36 PM ---And, please, why would hackers be interested in seeding this havoc on this Forum?

--- End quote ---

As Leatherman points out, this isn't so much about maliciously sabotaging the Forums as it is about hackers taking advantage of the Forums' high traffic to promote the sale, through clandestine methods, of erectile dysfunction drugs and controlled substances from off shore distributors. Needless o say, these ads are not authorized by us. 

The moderators are continuously blocking new accounts from tried and true spammers. Some, however, really want to play hardball and attempt to insert malicious code onto our server to generate unauthorized popups. Though their efforts usually fail, they do damage in the process.

--- Quote from: emeraldize on May 01, 2010, 05:34:43 PM ---Another question...does this have anything to do with the recent, seeming to be site-related spam e-mails I'm receiving? Not knowing what form the hacking takes and if they're accessing personal e-mail addresses I've gotten a half dozen within the last two weeks which then link to Canadian drug sources. Thanks much.

--- End quote ---

We *do not* believe that the e-mail-related spam being received by some members of the Forums and POZ Personals is related to the website hacks we've been experiencing as of late. There's been an upswing in Malware-generated e-mail hacks affecting a variety of e-mail networks, not just those related to POZ or AIDSmeds. We have absolutely no reason to believe that anyone's Forums account has been compromised.

We've implemented some important additional security precautions this weekend. Hopefully, we're now one step ahead of the hack attempts -- and we're going to be rolling out some additional precautions in coming weeks. Unfortunately, this is not an uncommon problem among online community forums; fortunately, we continue to learn from the experiences of others in this regard.

Keep your antiviral software up to date and operating at all times. And don't click on any questionable links, or open questionable attachments, included in e-mails -- no matter who is sending them. When in doubt, send an e-mail to the sender asking for clarification.

Tim    

aztecan:
Well butter my butt and call me biscuit . . .  I figured out how to do it!  ;D

Seems you can teach an old dog new tricks.

HUGS,

Mark

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version