POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 03:24:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 632479
  • Total Topics: 47901
  • Online Today: 262
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 201
Total: 203

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Timeline for Rapid Testing  (Read 1618 times)

Offline Nailz75253

Timeline for Rapid Testing
« on: April 27, 2010, 04:09:08 PM »
Hello,

My question is related to a single potential exposure: Several weeks ago, I had unprotected vaginal intercourse with a female of unknown status. Therefore, my risk is one episode of insertive vaginal intercourse.

Because she is of unknown status, I immediately became concerned about HIV.

I underwent a rapid test at six-and-a-half weeks. It was the Uni-Gold Recombigen rapid test. The result was negative.

Then, I underwent a rapid test at ten weeks and two days. It was the Uni-Gold Recombigen rapid test again. The result was once again negative.

I am aware that three months is the standard for a conclusive and definitive antibody test result, meaning 12 or 13 weeks. However, even acknowledging that fact, I’d like to know your perspective on my risk.

Should I be reassured that I tested negative at six-and-a-half weeks, and then tested negative again at ten weeks and two days?

Would the majority (or even the vast majority) of people have seroconverted and tested positive by ten weeks and two days?

Thank you.

--Scott

Online Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
Re: Timeline for Rapid Testing
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 04:15:18 PM »
Scott,

Your risk was very low but you were right to get tested. HIV is difficult to transmit, particularly from female to male during vaginal sex.

Your six and 10 week results indicate that you will almost certainly test negative at the end of the window period of 12 weeks. I am obliged to tell you that your 10 week negative test must be confirmed by a 12 week test to be considered definitive.

That said, a 12 week test in your case is strictly a formality. I have never heard of anyone testing positive after testing negative at 10 weeks.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 04:15:23 PM »
Hi Scott,

It is significantly harder to transmit HIV from female to male than the other way round. But lower risk is not the same as no risk, so testing is definitely indicated when unprotected vaginal or anal intercourse has occured.

The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure.

With those two negative results you have received you are definitely on course to continue to test negative at 13 weeks.

You do need to learn from this experience. You can have intercourse with anyone you want to. Just do it the safer way which means using a condom everytime. No exceptions.

I expect you to continue to test negative.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline Nailz75253

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 06:54:02 PM »
Thank you very much for those answers.

I must say, I found the information that you provided to be quite a relief. Knowing that the average time to seroconversion is 22 days, with almost everybody seroconverting by six weeks, makes me confident that any future testing due to this incident will remain negative.

I was especially heartened by Matty's comment that he has never heard of anyone testing positive following a negative test at 10 weeks. I assumed that, even if three months is the gold standard, the closer somebody gets to three months the more certain the result is.

I will learn from this incident and, going forward, always use condoms.

Thank you.

--Scott

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 08:34:40 PM »
That's right, the closer your negative is to 13 weeks, the more certain it is that you will continue to test negative.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline Nailz75253

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 01:50:48 PM »
Even though I know that, prior to the conclusive and definitive 13-week test, this is all kind of mental masturbation, I'm curious to know this anyway.

Andy, are you, like Matty, unaware of anyone testing positive after testing negative out to 10 weeks, given the sensitivity of rapid tests that are now in use?

Thank you.

--Scott

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 03:19:50 PM »
Scott, I don't expect anything other than another negative result for you.

Beyond that you're just going to have to be patient or impatient until you can test again for what I fully expect will be a happy conclusion to your concern.
Andy Velez

Offline Nailz75253

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 03:43:21 PM »
Question about unprotected oral sex:

Is it factually correct to say, for a man who has oral sex performed on him, the risk of his contracting HIV infection is zero, and for a woman who performs oral sex on a man, the risk of her contracting HIV infection is low? That is, is it factually correct to say insertive oral sex carries zero risk, whereas receptive oral sex carries low risk?

Thanks.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 05:55:16 PM »
Theoretically any sex with other than your own hand has some risk. But in the real world of HIV the only CONFIRMED risks for the sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse.

From time to time we hear of someone claiming to have become infected through giving oral. For a variety of reasons those claims never seem to hold up under careful scrutiny. And in the entire history of the epidemic there has never been a single confirmed case of a guy becoming infected through his receiving oral. You do the math.

Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.