Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Research News & Studies

One more step towards terapeutic HIV vaccine by Spanish researchers.

(1/2) > >>

blondbeauty:
http://www.elpais.es/articulo/salud/paso/vacuna/sida/elpsalpor/20050201elpepisal_6/Tes/

The battle against AIDS has given another return of nut: to demonstrate that the therapeutic vaccine based on a inactivated virus of the own patient can work against this disease. That is what it is come off two new studies. First it takes the company/signature of French investigator Jean-Marie Andrieu and his colleague Louis Wei Lu and has caused surprise in the scientific community, although it only has counted with 18 patients: in four months the viral load of the people infected by the virus of human immunodeficiency (VIH) diminished more of 80%, and a year after the vaccination, more of 90% in eight patients. In addition, "in four of them she was so low that almost people could consider themselves nonpolluting", explains Jean-Marie Andrieu, oncólogo, virólogo and hematologist of the European Hospital the Georges Pompidou (Paris).
The second study will be published shortly and has been made by the group of Infectious Diseases and AIDS of the Clínic Hospital of Barcelona-Idibaps (Institute of Biomedical Investigations August Pi i Sunyer). Although still their definitive results are not known, lay for the same direction, reason why they have appeared in diverse scientific meetings. In both cases a vaccine from the virus inactivated of the own ones has been experienced infected. It is a procedure that already is used for the cancer, but novel in the case of AIDS. The vaccine is based on a type of dendríticas called cells of the organism and that are the ones in charge to alert to the immunological system of possible infections. "When they detect a strange substance - a virus -, they catch it and they process, identifying his more important parts. Next, they emigrate with her to the lymphatic ganglia and they present/display the T4 lymphocytes. This way, the reaction of defense of the immunological system starts up ", explains Josep Maria Gatell, of the Clínic-Idibaps.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Boston:
Great story.  I can't pretend I understand a lot of the technical aspects of these vaccines but would this be an example of the dendritic? vaccine ScienceGuy described so well in the Theravax thread?

The results seem very impressive, lets hope this continues as it is tested in a larger population.   ;D

J220:
Fantastic news...thanks for sharing that! And the translation was excellent, good job on that.

Saludos, J.

Jake72:

--- Quote from: Boston on August 25, 2006, 01:28:19 PM ---Great story.  I can't pretend I understand a lot of the technical aspects of these vaccines but would this be an example of the dendritic? vaccine ScienceGuy described so well in the Theravax thread?

The results seem very impressive, lets hope this continues as it is tested in a larger population.   ;D

--- End quote ---

I've taken a look at the original article in El Pais, and the vaccines are dendritic cell vaccines, it seems.  The Andrieu/Wei Lu vaccine is the French/Brazilian vaccine that was widely publicized a couple years ago. 

The article in El Pais says 'The solution that they have discovered has been to prepare a vaccine using the patients' virus as an antigen in order to 'charge' their own dendritic cells in a laboratory setting.'

As for the research conducted by the Spanish group (Garcia, Gallart, etc.), the article says 'The methodology and working hypothesis are similar to those used in Andrieu's research.' 

Fingers crossed!!

LOVELIFE:
lets take a poll and ask ourselves just how long till we get the cure we need i say with in the next 5 years what about everyone else???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version