POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 10:27:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 639069
  • Total Topics: 48515
  • Online Today: 205
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Idea for a new forum feature - Sticky Threads for each cocktail experience  (Read 790 times)

Offline Boze

As someone who is considering starting treatment I have parsed these boards for information which drug combination would work best for me. In the process I identified something that I think is missing and I think would make a great addition to this forum. Let me describe it below:

Create new sticky threads (ie they always stay on top, one thread per cocktail) where people would describe their experience with the drugs they are currently taking. I get the feeling now that the boards are more representative of people who experience side-effects - and are looking for advice. But maybe for each individual with an issue there are 3 or 4 who have none? This would also simplify the process of considering different options - as opposed to reading tens of different threads discussing various issues, one could simply open the thread corresponding to the treatment under consideration and get a good idea of what people who take it experience.

The information provided should probably be concise and twofold - first describe the condition of the individual (age, time poz, vitals now cd4/vl and when treatment commenced, etc) and then their experience with the cocktail (side effects, vl suppression, etc). 

For example - right now I am trying to decide between Atripla and Issentra/Truvada. From what I read here I get the idea that Atripla users have a common incidence of CNS issues, rash, dizziness and problem taking it with a meal. I have not read any complains about Issentra/Truvada - but there must be some, otherwise everybody would be on it. So having two separate threads where people would describe their experience with each combination would be really great. Also - I think that this structure would encourage more people to provide informatin - it's a lot easier to respond to a going thread with a few lines than start a new one (just to say that you've been taking drug X for some time and have no issues).

The only complication I see is that actual discussions (ie advice for those who report problems) should not happen in the thread - as it would dilute them and make it difficult to follow. The way I see it - the thread should be a form of a database, with discussions taking place somewhere else.

This is just an idea up for consideration - would be great to hear feedback.

Best,

Borzel
==========
Aug08 - Seroconversion
Mar10 - Diagnosis; cd4 690 - VL 19,000
Apr10 - cd4 600
May10 - VL 4,500
Jun10 - started Atripla ; VL 113
Jul 10 - UD vl, CD4 590
Aug 10 - UD, CD4 810, 52%
Nov 10 - UD, CD4 980

Offline Tim Horn

Borzel:

While I appreciate your idea in theory, I'm not inclined to act upon it for a variety of reasons.

First, the first few pages of this forum -- Questions and Treatment and Side Effects -- would fill up very quickly with sticky threads, meaning that someone would need to venture deep into the forum to find an actual discussion -- a thread with actual questions and shared experiences (this is what the Forums are about).

Second, it wouldn't simply be one stickied thread per combo. Case in point: Many forums members are on Atripla, each of different ages, length of time living with HIV, reservations and questions prior to beginning treatment, current/baseline CD4s/VLs, treatment efficacy experiences and side effects. In turn, you'd likely end up with pages upon pages of individuals posting sticky threads detailing their Atripla experiences.

Third, if someone is particularly interested in a drug regimen, AIDSmeds maintains detailed reviews of each antiretroviral. Ideally, people considering a new regimen would read these first -- along with other information they gather from their providers and elsewhere on the web -- and use these forums to discuss the information make sense of it all.

Fourth, these Forums do have a search function -- searching on Isentress and Truvada yielded a number of interesting threads.

Fifth, if you're looking for information, simply start a new thread requesting it. A header reading "Anyone taking Isentress and Truvada?" would certainly grab the attention of those using the combination or who have had experience using these meds.

Sixth, the responsibility of cataloging threads would fall on the moderators who, quite frankly, already have enough to do.

Tim
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 03:26:57 PM by Tim Horn »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.