HIV Prevention and Testing > Am I Infected?

acute hiv infection- scared, need pals

(1/2) > >>

chm02:
I am in the 7th day of what i believe is a primary hiv infection. I have all the symptoms, and none og the non-symptoms...if that makes sense. Almost constant fever, rash, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, no apitite, body aches!! ouch! I'll get tested after i feel better, if that ever happens. And yes, several very risky sexual encounters in the last few months.
i'm in a new city, have no friends, no family, no one to care... :'( and my insurance hasn't kicked in at my new job yet. for the past 5 days i have just been laying in bed, going crazy. It's almost more than i can take. I'd sure appreciate someone to talk to. Thanks! -chm02

Ann:
chm

Symptoms or the lack of symptoms means nothing when it comes to hiv infection. Only the appropriate test at the appropriate time will reliably inform you of your hiv status.

Unless you've been having unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse, you are unlikely to be infected. You need to test no sooner than six weeks after your last unprotected encounter. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being 22 days. A negative result at six weeks MUST be confirmed at 12-13 weeks.

Seriously, symptoms mean nothing. You could very easily have the flu. Don't assume, test.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

If you tell us a few more details about your situation (NOT your symptoms, but what you think was a risk) we can be of more specific help to you.

Ann

chm02:
Thanks for your reply, Ann. I had unprotected anal sex , top, twice . First was 2 months ago, then again about 5 wks ago.
from what i understand, antibodies won't be producing yet, if this is the time of primary infection.

Matty the Damned:
CM,

Unprotected anal sex is a risk, even for the top. You need to test at the 13 week mark for a definitive result, but you should know that the majority of people who test positive have done so at the 6 week mark.

Also, there are other sexually transmitted infections such as gonorrhoea which are far more prevalent and contagious than HIV. I would recommend that you have a full STD screen performed, which will include a test for HIV.

Regards,

MtD

tritonrex:
hi there, where are u from chm...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version