POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 10:12:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 22212
  • Latest: glo9003
Stats
  • Total Posts: 620177
  • Total Topics: 46725
  • Online Today: 216
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: PBS Report on Elite Controllers  (Read 1377 times)

Offline tednlou2

PBS Report on Elite Controllers
« on: April 07, 2010, 02:19:40 AM »
Much of the info in this piece is stuff many of you already know.  I'm still learning about all this and found it interesting.  The segment about MIT studying the killer T-cells was very interesting.  More than anything, I'm just happy to see HIV getting more coverage.  Obviously the "60 Minutes" piece got more viewers as they are usually No 1 in the ratings.  I'm still happy even with PBS's viewers.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/health/jan-june10/peru_04-01.html

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: PBS Report on Elite Controllers
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 04:25:03 AM »
Ted, you may be interested in reading the articles at http://www.zephyrfoundation.org/
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 12:29:50 AM »
Ted, you may be interested in reading the articles at http://www.zephyrfoundation.org/

Thanks Ann for the link.  I'm going to read it now.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 01:30:54 AM »
I noticed that site had a link to the PBS report from Peru.  I watched it again.  The man they profiled tested poz 8 years ago they said and has never gotten sick.  They never told what his vl is.  We know many people poz for 8 years and not sick so far.  I suppose we can assume his vl met the requirement for being an elite controller and they just didn't say it--although it would have been helpful for people who don't know what it means.

Anyway, also on the link Ann provided, I came across another video report about a man poz since 1984 I believe he said and has vl of 0.  I found that interesting, too.  It is amazing how differently the virus acts in different people.  Anyone interested can watch that at the link below.

http://www.zephyrfoundation.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44:life-as-an-hiv-elite-controller&catid=17:hiv&Itemid=8

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 07:56:26 AM »
Ted, the woman who started the Zephyr Foundation is an elite controller (diagnosed in '92) and a member of these forums, although she doesn't come here very often any more. I suspect she's busy with LTNP stuff.

Anyway, if I remember correctly, she's never been sick either (aside from colds etc that anyone can get) and I think her VL is consistently undetectable.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 09:12:20 AM »
The DC elite controller certainly went through hell, but he's kind of deluded today.  There are certainly lots of gay men in DC and even his age.  Its sad hes so scarred that he's become a hermit.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Online leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 09:56:01 AM »
Its sad hes so scarred that he's become a hermit.
I was thinking the same thing. I was kinda a hermit too for years because many of my friends died; but I was also sick myself and didn't/couldn't go out, and didn't make new friends during the years after everyone else died. That guy could have.

I guess it's another example of PTSD because of HIV. Just like my first ID doc became a drunk and lost his license "trying" to cope with the death of so many of his patients, just like 4 RNs I know that quit and threw away their life's work to go into other jobs, there's a subsidiary group of people, not poz, who were also devastated by the AIDS epidemic.
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Oh my friends, my friends forgive me
That I live and you are gone.
There's a grief that can't be spoken.
There's a pain goes on and on.
Empty chairs at empty tables
Where my friends will meet no more.

"Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" from Les Miserables

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 01:39:51 PM »
Ted, the woman who started the Zephyr Foundation is an elite controller (diagnosed in '92) and a member of these forums, although she doesn't come here very often any more. I suspect she's busy with LTNP stuff.

Anyway, if I remember correctly, she's never been sick either (aside from colds etc that anyone can get) and I think her VL is consistently undetectable.

Not only that but her lowest CD4 reading was 1100 and they have reached as high as 2000! Her first CD4 reading after finding out she had HIV was 1854. It's insane, lol. Her name is Loreen Willenberg, she's a very kind-hearted person, also very smart and making a real effort in advancing research with elite controllers to help find a cure. One of the hottest areas of HIV research entails investigating ways to mimic in the general HIV population whatever it is that's going on naturally in the bodies of elite controllers so it's important that as many of them as possible be studied.

Below is an interview of her from thebody.com

LINK:

http://www.thebody.com/content/art45911.html

Online leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 02:16:58 PM »
Do you do meditation or yoga?
Actually, I center myself with gardening. This is how I center myself. I love to work with the earth. That's very therapeutic for me, and I've done that both personally and professionally all my life, worked with the plants, worked with mother earth.

seems she was diagnosed in 92, same year as me. Wonder if it's our shared enthusiasm of gardening that's keeping us alive all these years? LOL

leatherman
(who just got caught in a downpour planting pots of flowers to go around the new above ground fountain he just built in his side yard, and came inside to dry out)
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Oh my friends, my friends forgive me
That I live and you are gone.
There's a grief that can't be spoken.
There's a pain goes on and on.
Empty chairs at empty tables
Where my friends will meet no more.

"Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" from Les Miserables

Offline bobino

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 10:37:44 PM »

Loreen also blogs over at TheBody about her Life as an Elite Controller.  Check it out.

John
Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.