POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 08:09:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 636404
  • Total Topics: 48299
  • Online Today: 165
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I got World Cup Tickets!  (Read 1198 times)

Offline PozBrian

I got World Cup Tickets!
« on: January 22, 2010, 11:54:09 PM »
OMG!!! I feel like a 12 year girl at a Jonas Bros concert! Going to see USA v Algeria on the 23rd in Pretoria. I travel quite a lot for work (3 or 4 of the last 12 months) but this is the first international travel I've done since testing HIV+. I've checked out the HIV Travel site mentioned in other topics so I know that South Africa shouldn't present any entry problems. I'm a little more concerned about coming into contact with things I've not been exposed to before and now might have problems with.  One big bonus is the ID clinic I use also does travel medicine, so I'm pretty sure that I can get any shots that I might need. Is that a legitimate concern? What can I do, if anything, to boost my system for the trip? I mostly scared that I'll have some medical crisis and have to deal with an unfamiliar medical system.

On another note, one life goal I've had for a long time is to visit all the continents in the world. Africa and Antarctica are the last two. This summer it will be just Antarctica. I'll probably be there for about a week any suggestions for sites to see?

And at the risk of starting a soccer (football) flame war.... USA, USA!
3/8 CD4: 495, 31%, VL UD
2/1 CD4: 564, 20%.VL UD, switching to Issentress & truvada
10/11 CD4: 446, 29%, VL UD
7/11 CD4: 873, 35%, VL UD
4/11 CD4: 573, 34% VL 0
12/10 CD4: 405, 30% VL UD
9/10 CD4: 416, 31% VL UD
5/10 CD4: 393, 29% VL: UD
02/10 CD4: 423, 37% VL: UD
11/09 CD4: 379, 25% VL: UNDETECTABLE!!
10/09 CD4: 245, 25% VL: 87
9/09 CD4: 246, 24% VL: 49!
8/09 CD4: 277, 26% VL: 115
7/09 CD4: 346, 24% VL: 221
6/09 started Atripla
5/09 CD4: 326, 16%  VL:125000
4/09 HIV +, CD4: 397, 16%  VL:195000, PPD reactive

Offline Peacock

Re: I got World Cup Tickets!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 02:31:31 AM »
Fab! Its nice to hear of someone who is exited to visit our country for the 2010 soccer! I dont travel much and can only suggest that for emergencies you should have travel insurance..and when i refer to emergencies Im not refering to the 'drama queen'crime statistic type of emergency, just the usual medical probs. Heres a few tips on what to taste:
KOEKSISTERS- are a very sweet surupy twisted crunchy Afrikaans treat
PUTU is a maize (that looks similar to mashed potatoe but its very course)-I think its divine with a spicey tomato and onion sauce.
BOEREWORS- is a spicey beefy sausage that the whole nation loves to barbeque.
and by the way we dont Barbeque... we 'BRAAI'.
VETKOEK is almost like a round ball doughnut, that gets filled with spicey mince, curry or you can have it sweet. BILTONG is like a beef jerky..but better because you can get so many varieties of dried game meat.
If youre going to a Malaria area then take your Malaria tabs-better safe than sorry.
theres no problem travelling with your meds at the airports.
I hope you have a wonderful holiday!!and WELCOME to Sunny South Africa!!

Peacock,Steve
Diagnosed 07/01/2002
Started Haart- 25/11/04 Cd4: 205 VL: 76'500
                      19/12/08 Cd4: 623 VL: UD
      26/03/12 Cd4: 497 Cd4%: 30.10 VL: UD
Combivir and Nevirapine(200mg) x1 of each-Am & pm
Not changed Meds since starting on HAART
Green Tea,Multivit,Selenium ACE,Folic acid,Vit C,Aciclovir 200mg 5x per day for 3 days-(ONLY when I have Shingles!)
100 percent adherence-with the help of a wristwatch!

Offline Cliff

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 06:36:08 AM »
World Cup tickets?!?  I am extremely jealous.  You should be fine.  You don't really need any special shots or take extra precautions unless you're going to the game parks/reserves. 

Does your medical insurance cover you overseas?  If not, you may want to look to get some health cover.

Have fun and go USA!

Offline veritas

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 09:27:47 AM »

Brian,

Go and have a GREAT TIME !

v

Offline chguy78

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 10:33:13 AM »
South Africa is great country with wonderful things to see, do and eat!  Capetown is great but quite a long way from you. The national parks in both South Africa and Botswana are within reach so you must go to one of them.  I second the recommendations of biltong (peri peri) and boerewors.  Lots of meat to eat in SA.

Have a great time!
01/11: CD4=753 (36%), VL=Undetectable
07/10: CD4=531 (33%), VL=Undetectable
04/10: CD4=746 (33%), VL=Undetectable
01/10: CD4=566 (35%), VL=Undetectable
10/09: CD4=436 (31%), VL=405
07/09: CD4=631 (27%), VL=847
06/09: Started: Truvada, Reyataz, Norvir
05/09: CD4=426 (28%), VL=38,300
04/09: Positive; CD4=466 (28%), VL=39,700
10/08: Negative

Offline Angel-Ronnie

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 06:52:36 AM »
brian you will not have any problems getting into South Africa. We have alot to offer and it is a beautiful country. if you have travelled to any african country like Angola, ethiopia then you will need yellow fever injections if not it is a bonus yellow fever is only required when you were in countries that fall under the yellow fever map this you can find on www.travelclinic.co.za. also the regions for malaria can also be checked on this website.

hope that you will have a blast when visiting us. there are restaurants and Macdonalds here so there is food other than BBQ.

Bide the Wiccan law ye must,
In perfect love and perfect trust
Eight words the Wiccan Rede fulfill
An' ye harm none, do what ye will.

What ye send forth comes back to thee,
so ever mind the Law of three,
follow this with mind and heart,
Merry ye meet, and merry ye part.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 12:38:55 PM »
Yellow Fever and Malaria aren't the same thing?  I could swear in the US they refer to them interchangably.

Offline Angel-Ronnie

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 03:55:37 AM »
no they aren't the same that is why i gave the link so that who ever visits South Africa or Africa as a whole knows what is needed for their safety. Yellow fever will not be given if CD4 is to low. Health professionals should be consulted before the time.
Bide the Wiccan law ye must,
In perfect love and perfect trust
Eight words the Wiccan Rede fulfill
An' ye harm none, do what ye will.

What ye send forth comes back to thee,
so ever mind the Law of three,
follow this with mind and heart,
Merry ye meet, and merry ye part.

Offline bigpa

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 09:35:03 AM »
Hi PozBrian

You will love South Africa. No need to worry about ANY medical condition that you may have or contract. After all we are NOT a low class country. We got the best infra structure in Africa.

Give me a call when you are in South Africa.
 ;)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.