Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Insurance, Benefits Programs & HIV

Health Care Reform: What It Means for PLWHIV

(1/12) > >>

Tim Horn:
Okay, I'm going to start up another thread regarding health care reform, given that two threads started earlier this week needed to be shut down because the rhetoric started to spiral out of control. As controversial as HCR may be, it is now law in the United States. And because it does have many implications for people living with HIV, it absolutely must be discussed and understood.

I know that policy wonks at a number of AIDS organizations are scrambling to make sense of the legislation. Fact is, the details of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 are fuzzy and it is not yet clear how things will change over the next several years for people living with HIV. For example, many people living with HIV will soon qualify for private health insurance without the risk of lifetime caps, possibly with subsidies -- this may change ADAP requirements throughout the U.S.  

I'm working to find someone who can spell all this out in a detailed overview for AIDSmeds and POZ. In the meantime, I've been relying heavily on some extremely helpful overviews produced by the Kaiser Family Foundation:

Kaiser Family Foundation's Health Care Reform Page

Please -- feel free to use this thread to ask questions about HCR and discuss your understanding of what the legislation means for us.

I'm requesting that this thread remain informational and educational in nature. While it's difficult to keep politics out of threads such as this, I'm asking that anyone who wishes to debate the merits of health care reform in the United States do so elsewhere, preferably in clearly defined threads started in the off-topic forum. It's basically up to you guys to keep this thread on course.

Tim  

Dachshund:
The part of the bill that interests me is the provision that folks without insurance (me) and a preexisting condition (me again) will be able to acquire it through a high risk pool withen ninety days. It looks like there will be subsidies provided for folks on the lower end of the economic scale (definately me) to make it affordable. Also if I read the bill correctly, folks over a certain age and making under a certain amount will have the option to obtain medicaid. Not sure about that one. Anyway, I can't wait. I've been without insurance for a decade.

skeebo1969:

Where can I find information regarding how this will affect people like my wife and I, who fall under the so-called "middle class" with insurance?  We are slowly sinking into major debt because of our medical bills and I would like to find out if any of this will bring relief to us, but I don't know exactly where to look.

Tim Horn:
Skeebo:

There's a lot of really great information on the Kaiser site I link to above.

I suppose it all depends on the factors are at play here. For example, if you're facing medical bills because of annual (or lifetime) limits of coverage, the passed legislation will certainly remedy this. It also prohibits rescissions of coverage.

Here's a comprehensive, yet simplified, review of the legislation: http://www.kff.org/healthreform/upload/finalhcr.pdf

Here's a good timeline of the HCR roll out: http://www.kff.org/healthreform/8060.cfm

Tim

skeebo1969:

--- Quote from: Tim Horn on March 27, 2010, 10:12:56 AM ---Skeebo:

There's a lot of really great information on the Kaiser site I link to above.

I suppose it all depends on the factors are at play here. For example, if you're facing medical bills because of annual (or lifetime) limits of coverage, the passed legislation will certainly remedy this. It also prohibits rescissions of coverage.

Here's a comprehensive, yet simplified, review of the legislation: http://www.kff.org/healthreform/upload/finalhcr.pdf

Here's a good timeline of the HCR roll out: http://www.kff.org/healthreform/8060.cfm

Tim

--- End quote ---

Thanks Tim, if I am understanding this correctly annual limits will be eliminated by 2014.  

Edited to add:  I've reviewed it further and it looks like our annual limit would remain effective even after 2014.  From what I gather, it seems to state the limit cannot exceed $2000 annually per individual, $4000 family.  Our limit right now is $2500, which we usually meet around the end of the fiscal year, just in time for it to reset. 

So I don't stray this topic on my own individual needs if I am missing something, please provide me any info to the contrary via PM. Indeed, I do hope I am wrong about this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version