Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

through tearful eyes

(1/4) > >>

Regretsafew:
First of all... I'd like to thank the creators and all the people on this site... It sure is a Godsend. 

Well here goes... This is my story.  I just learned I was HIV positive the beginning of this month. 

I started not feeling well the beginning of July.  I am a nurse and work in an Emergency Room in  the suburbs and I think I've only seen 1 or 2  patients with HIV in the 4 years I've been there.  So HIV is uncommon to my colleagues and pretty much myself.  I was seen by one of the docs there because I was feeling tired and was running a low grade fever.  He said  probably just a sinus infection and put me on some antibiotics.  Hover I got worse.  I went to my primary doctor a few days later  He did some blood work (not HIV)  and said that I had mono.  I went back to him a few times and was not getting any better.  Fevers over 102.  etc.  All I could do was drink water and Gatorade and pop tylenols and Advil's.  He then referred me to an Infectious Disease doctor. 

I went and seen her.  She reviewed my labs from the mono and asked a bunch of questions.  Later I was becoming very dizzy and still running fevers.  I ended up in the ER- where I work at.  and was admitted because my sodium level was very low.  While I was in the hospital  they did my HIV test.  I asked them to keep it confidential because everything at work is put into a computer where anyone can gain access to.  They did, thankfully.  I was in the hospital for 4 days.  After I came home a few days the ID doctor called me and told me my HIV came back positive.  I was completely devastated and she reminded me to keep my appointment with her 2 days later.

I went to her office.... I was scared to death.  She gave me per scriptions for 2 medications.  Combivir and Sustiva and sent me to another hospital lab for my CD4 and Viral Load test for confidentiality.    She called me about a week later and told me she had some good news  that my T cells were 357.  My viral load was high ... greater than 100,000  CD4  was 7%  but she said with the meds  those would improve.   She also said that the hospital had a committee and they discuss employees who are HIV pos, have  Hep B etc  and that they had to tell the director (my boss)  OMG  i was so scared I would be fired.  I met with her before I returned to work and thankfully she was very supportive.  You just never know how people will react to this.  She assured me she wouldn't tell anyone and anything I needed just to come to her. 

I started back to work last week.  I'm a lil tired but I'm dealing with so much and trying to learn new things. I'm the happy go lucky guy normally and I feel like I have this huge weight on me now.  The hardest thing was telling my mom  and my close friends.  I'm trying to hang in there  but sometimes I just break down and cry.  Any support or guidance would sure be appreciated.  I think I need a hug. 

Thanks for reading this. 

Joey

jkinatl2:
Joey, it is with regret that I welcome you to the forum. But you could NOT have found a better place to discuss your concerns and get the best information anywhere.

Hang in there, ok? You're among friends.

ACinKC:
Im sorry you have to be part of our family...but you are that to us now.... FAMILY!

Welcome and big hugs!

Andrew

LatinAlexander:
The virus? That bastard is gonna be killed soon, brought to it by YOU AND YOUR ID.

You, WELCOME!!!!!! I was diagnosed like 6 weeks ago. We all know exactly how scared you feel, and difficult can this thing be...But guess what? WE ARE STILL ALIVE....YOU ARE ALIVE!!!!!!

A warm but strong huge in these moments of confussion

Alex

frenchpat:
Bonjour Joey,

((((((((((((((((Joey))))))))))))))))

this, I learned here, is a big hug.

Welcome here. We're all in this together.

Pat

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version