POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 26, 2014, 01:48:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 24297
  • Latest: jose1
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650463
  • Total Topics: 49662
  • Online Today: 181
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What's Coverage like in Texas? Might move there from Cali  (Read 847 times)

Offline jportland

What's Coverage like in Texas? Might move there from Cali
« on: March 19, 2010, 11:34:32 PM »
            I have been in the Los Angeles area now for over 4 years. ( from Portland, OR).  I was laid off from my job about 5 monthes ago and can't find anything! The cost of living here is crazy, etc, etc. So am thinkin of movin to Texas. I have family in Dallas so that's the area I'd move to. I also hear the unemployment level there is below the average and cost of living is cheap compare to anywhere on West Coast.  
         What's coverage like in Texas? Anyone live there and know or know differences from Cali to Texas coverage? I heard Cali is one of the best and Oregon was great, and coverage and care was almost instant in both.  Both also paid almost everything for doctor visits and meds.  I never had to pay out of pocket cuz they said I made less than the amount required. ( I made about $29K a year, but never have had healthcare thru my job as a bartender since becoming poz) But I'm wondering how Texas works? I'm on meds. Poz 7 years and no job right now. Any info/experiences would be great! Especially anyone who WAS from Cali as well and moved to Texas or anyone that knows alot on states coverages and how they are the same or different, or that lives in Texas, etc. etc.!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 12:04:47 AM by jportland »
2001 tested neg
8/2002  seroconvert
9/2002 Tested Poz
No Meds
2/2003 302/25% 76K
9/2004 463/23% 14K
8/2005 342/22% 19K
7/2006 381/29% 24K
3/2007 386/34% 34K
3/2008 230/21% 269K
3/2008  Started Meds
7/2008 485/23% VL 140
9/2008 465/24% VL Undetectable
1/2010 581/29% VL Undectectable

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
Re: What's Coverage like in Texas? Might move there from Cali
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 12:24:53 PM »
  I have a few friends that depend on the local assistance programs for treatment....   the overall answer to your question is Texas  is one of the least generous places for  services  but having said that there are many services available in the larger areas  like Dallas ,Austin and Houston.  the exact requirements vary from place to place ...  the most available and comprehensive services seem to be in Houston and Dallas.....  clinics, agencies, private foundations  etc.   One of my friends has had dental, as well as just about every other medical procedure done through a free clinic... the real answer is to get your name/situation to each of these agencies and start the process.....

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Trace67

• Live, Love, Laugh!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 03:29:30 PM »
I have to agree. I am in San Antonio and San Antonio is very backward and so bureaucratic. There seems to be a long line or long wait for everything. However, I will say that I have been very fortunate and have received very good care and assistance in many different areas. Having lived in Houston, I have to admit that Houston and Dallas are probably your better options for more extensive resources.

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 05:22:10 PM »
Hi J,

I have to tell you, one of the best resources is this site.  In the grey bar above, you will find a button called "All about HIV", and in the drop down menu, there is a search title for finding resources in any given area of the United States.   Try it, and then you will have phone numbers and all the needed information for anywhere, USA.  Works real good.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 09:24:06 PM »
May I make a suggestion?  A move out of state is a very big move.  I have lived with HIV in Los Angeles from 1994 to 2000.  I would first make a call to APLA in L.A. or the Center in Long Beach for case management/counseling, then continue to receive unemployment benefits and network the bars for jobs. 

As a Los Angeles county resident can get signed up at the Care Clinic at St. Mary's and as a client of Care Program at St. Mary's where  you will have the best care and services because they were the first non-profit to work for HIV care and the model everyone has used, since. They are the Best always will be the Best.  They will be the last place in the country to lose their funding.  You may be from Portland but you are an Angeleno now, you are in the system and will be taken care of.  You have to make the calls.   ;D Have the best day
Michael

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.