POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 08:55:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 636539
  • Total Topics: 48312
  • Online Today: 168
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: adherring to meds...  (Read 777 times)

Offline wimble

adherring to meds...
« on: March 14, 2010, 06:00:57 PM »
Hey guys,
Recently got some feedback from my doctor on CD4 and viral counts, my system still seems to be going quite well with a CD4 of 1,089...i cant remember the viral load at this moment but its pretty steep due to recent infection...

Its inevitable that everyone with HIV will have to go on medication eventually (unless they're the messiah), in order to prolong life. However is there anything that suggests medication may speed up viral replication? I've come to realise that you have to be very realistic about life and accept what happens when placed on this journey, which is when i thought about possible negative effects of medication. Science is a great thing, but is there any concrete way of saying to someone, "I have HIV, but don't worry the medicine will keep me alive no problem"...I'm not for one second trying to put a dampener on anything, I'm just wondering whether there is a known percentage of people with the illness that have failed to adhere to medication? Or rather what is the likely hood meds cease to work after a while...again I'm not trying to be negative here and make anyone depressed, heck i believe the majority of sufferers are the happiest people in the world because of optimism and a unique appreciation of life that HIV- people would not be able to forsee...

This is just food for thought I am not assuming anything, i just want opinions, so please no jumping down throats  :)
Peace and love.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: adherring to meds...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 06:21:08 PM »
Erm, meds don't speed up viral replication, they slow it down, that's their job, that's how they work, if you take em right they slow it to down to practically zero, like send it to sleep. They are virostatics (stop the virus moving).

The two factors which affect adherence are your life and side effects. So it's really up to you to crack the taking them on time bit cos of your life, which can be hard I admit, but there are choices we can make and choices we can have made for us, eg when we get ill or die.  Side effects is another matter, but there is a combo for nearly everyone these days without side effects so bad they imapct on timing. Nearly.

Adherence is very important to combo working. Some combos are more forgiving than others in this respect.

It is not inevitable everyone will eventually go on meds, just 95%+ people with the current treatment paradigm.  Which may change in the next 5+ years, and while meds may not be what people wanna do every day, for the time being, it may be extremely valuable to do so.

Not adhering doesn't mean you get ill, it means you get resistance.  My combo is kinda forgiving (and I chose it for this reasons), and from time to time, well my adherence is far from perfect. Whatever a daily routine for day-in-day-out medication, perfect adherence is hard. Us HIV+ folk tend to do well compared to other conditions.

-matt (Sv02 94 and rising, I am glad to say) the newt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.