POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 02:13:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 636884
  • Total Topics: 48342
  • Online Today: 304
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 170
Total: 176

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Back After Being Gone For A Long Time  (Read 2404 times)

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
Back After Being Gone For A Long Time
« on: March 07, 2010, 12:03:11 AM »
Hello there Kids!

It has been quite sometime since being here on the forums, probably about a year and a half or so. I stopped sometime in the fall of '09. I have missed being here, and being in touch with so many great people. Many interesting things have happened in that time that, if nothing else, has kept life ummmm... interesting I'll give you the Reader's Digest Condensed version of the goings on here in the sticks where we reside.

Those who will remember me, will probably remember too, that I got diagnosed with liver cancer, and went through some Unpleasantness. Several times. They remember too that I was on the waiting list for a transplant as a result of all of this. Had the surgery on Dec 10, '09 in San Francisco at UCSF Medical Center, where there is a program specifically for HIV positive people needing transplants. Everything was textbook. Out of the hospital in 6 days, with 6-8 being the average. Stayed in the area until Jan 23d, then they let me go back home. Drove back with Mom, and Waldo & Baby Elmo, (2 of our four dogs) in a 26' motorhome. Two blown tires, and a ruptured fuel line made the trip adventurous to be sure. Fixed all of it myself since AAA was being most unhelpful. But we survived, and got back home in 3 days.

Recovery was uncomfortable, but uneventful for the most part, and I went back to work as a landscaper in April of last year, and have done well ever since. The abdomen is still pretty numb, and the incision sometimes hurts. Sitting up in bed still takes concentration though. I figure it'll be another year or two before it feels mostly normal, and that it will likely always feel somewhat "off"
   The scar is pretty friggin' enormous. Basically, it follows the shape of the rib line from one side to the other. We stayed at an RV park in Pacifica while we were there. One morning after my shower in the park facility, I was rubbing some cream into the cut, and a little kid about 5 or 6 saw the scar and asked me what happened. I told him I had been out surfing, and a shark had swallowed me feet first, biting down in my middle. His eyes got huge and just said "Wow" kinda quietly.
   I also want to make it known that I owe a huge debt to all my friends that pitched in and helped Norm an I out throughout all of this. And especially to Norm himself, without whom getting through all of this would have been impossible
   Over all, it's been an quite a trip...

We seem to have acquired another dog for our collection. Our neighbors dog seems to have adopted us. This brings the total to five. (That's where having almost two acres of land comes in handy) He is a real sweet boy, about two years old. A Border Collie/German Shepard from the look of him. The kids are all doing fine these days. As a matter of fact, they are clustered around me at this very moment, fast asleep after a busy day. One of them, Mike I'm pretty sure, has gas as an Extra Bonus.

We had, like a lot of people in the US, one hell of a winter. We had over four feet of snow this winter. Our area is mountainous, and our road is dirt which is not maintained so it doesn't get plowed. As a result, all of our cars are 4X4s. Due to the annoyingly capricious nature of the weather here, the melting off of all that snow has stretched out for weeks. This has resulted in a road that was virtually impassable for a time of about 2 to 3 weeks. If you didn't have four wheel drive, you left your car at the end of the pavement and walked the rest of the way in, over a mile for some people. Even so, if I saw someone walking, I would go out in my pickup truck and give them a ride home. There were times that even my big old Ford F250 would have trouble getting through. The real problem with the road is that emergency vehicles cannot get in if needed. If you have a heart attack, kiss yer ass goodbye cuz your knight in shining armor isn't going to get there in time. Likewise if your house catches fire. Since none of these things has actually happened it hasn't been an issue. Yet. What is more immediate than that though is that if emergency vehicles cannot get in, then neither can the propane deliver trucks. No gas no heat. Or cooking. It was 12 degrees (F) below zero a little over a week ago, overnight. Not a fun time to be without heat. County insists it's a private road, and therefore are not responsible. I asked why there were signs that said things like " COUNTY ROAD: A102, COUNTY ROAD: A88 etc, etc. Never got a response, but a few weeks later, all the road signs in the valley vanished without a trace.....
if you follow this link:

http://www.clipsyndicate.com/video/playlist/13637

You can witness the entire Country Bumpkin saga for yourself. You will even be able to catch a brief glimpse of old Capt Carl himself, legendary subject of poetry, paintings, and Interpretive Dance.

I have also realized that I once now have a future ahead of me, and I need to decide where that future should go. As a result, I have been spending more time in my studio painting. I want to start focusing on getting some sort of art career going. And do some general improvements on myself as well.

Work on the house continues at a more leisurely pace due to various reasons. But this summer if all goes to plan, there will be some serious projects going on:

-Rip out fireplace and install a woodstove.
-Building a workshop/garage. 30'x40' should do it
-Re-Roof the house with metal roofing. A little peace of mind during fire season
-Finish back deck
-Getting the '57 DeSoto running and driving
-And a bunch of other, smaller things as well....

Well, it's getting late, and I have a full day of roto-tilling about an acre of land for a friend ahead of me tomorrow. I should get going, and stop babbling.

I look forward to once again spending some time here, among people I already know and whose company I enjoy, as well as those that I have yet to....

CaptCarl

PS, I would like to also express my pleasure at seeing that the King of Boolaboolabongbong, Matty the Damned has returned.

PPS, I would like to change my screen name but cannot figure out how to  do it? Any help on this? Remember to use little words, lots of syllables confuse me, and I go cross-eyed.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 10:01:01 AM by abqcarl »
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
Re: Back After Being Gone For A Long Time
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 04:15:57 AM »
Hey Carl !!

It's really good to hear from you !  I was just thinking about you the other day and wondering how everything was going. !! It sounds like your on top of the world,  you've got a great outlook, and those projects you've got lined up , are wearing me out just thinking of it. Your post made my day !! Glad to hear that everything is on the up and up !!

Wishing  you the very best----Ray  8)
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 12.5mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started my first  HAART regimen  on October 24th,03.

As of 8/2514,  t-cells are at 402, Viral load <40

Current % is at 11%

62 years young.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 08:16:23 AM »
Hey Capn',

Great to hear from you and that you are doing so well. I've missed your wit and wisdom and I'm sure Matty has as well. Good to hear you've decided to take it easy after the transplant. ;D Just PM a mod and they can change your sreen name for you.

My best,
Aunty D

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 08:59:47 AM »
Great to hear from you Carl! It's been less time than you remember - nine months. And wasn't your surgery in December 2008? Time flies, eh? :D I'm really glad to hear how great you're doing.

PPS, I would like to change my screen name but cannot figure out how to  do it? Any help on this? Remember to use little words, lots of syllables confuse me, and I go cross-eyed.

This isn't a problem, but I'll have to do it for you. Just send me a PM with your name of choice. But let me guess... CaptCarl, amiright? ;D

Good to see you back!
Hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 10:53:30 AM »
Welcome  back.  It's great to see you posting.

That's quite a project list!

A
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 11:12:07 AM »
Hi Carl, and welcome back.   Wow, fun recount of a hellatious experience.  Surgery sucks, but unfortunately it is sometimes necessary.

I'm so glad you included the DeSoto in your update, and I suggest that DeSoto is a perfect screen name.  You might dig up a photo of him in his Spanish Iron Helmet, which is of course the hood ornament of your car.  Oh, maybe a close up shot of the hood ornament would also do here.  :)
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 11:29:09 AM »
Good to hear from you again, Carl. Glad you made it through that siege.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 12:35:09 PM »
Great to hear from you, Carl!  Sounds like everything's going really well.  You make the surgery and recovery sound like a breeze, and I'm sure it wasn't exactly that, but I'm glad you're doing so good. 

Oh, by the way, I changed my screenname also.  It used to be "betty"+a last name.  Don't know if that rings a bell or not.

Take care, and take it easy doing all those renovations.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 01:03:47 PM »
Welcome back!

;D

Offline bear60

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 01:07:15 PM »
Hi Carl
Its great to hear from you and catch up.

Hugs
Joel
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 02:12:28 PM »
Hey Carl,

Good to hear from you! That is an ambitious list of projects. I hope to build a deck this summer too.

Ford

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 02:59:32 PM »
Carl!  :-*

MtD

Offline aztecan

• 29 years positive, 57 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 05:35:11 PM »
Carl, Welcome back! ;D

How the hell are you rototiling anything with the ground frozen?

It is great to see you are still as chipper as ever - and still have the DeSoto.

Give Norm a hug for me. Hope to see you both again sometime soon.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 07:55:36 PM »
Welcome back Captain   ;D Have the best day
Michael

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 09:43:19 PM »
Wahoooo!
Welcome Back ! ;D

Offline CaptCarl

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 06:30:55 PM »
Thanks everyone!
   It has most definitely been a journey which I would not care to repeat. But as time goes by and more distance is put between me and the surgery, it's easier to think about. Though to be honest, sometimes when I think about what they actually did, I still get creeped out. I am slowly working on a letter to the donor family, but it's a difficult process. After all, how do you express your gratitude, when your good fortune came at the death of their loved one, and in this case, one who was so young (25), plus being just before Christmas to boot? It takes a lot of thoughtfulness, to put it mildly.

Yes I still have the DeSoto, and am saving for a MIG welder so I can weld the new rocker panels in myself, as well as the patch panels for the rear quarters. I like the idea of using the hood ornament as my avatar pic, but I'm changing my screen name to CaptCarl, which I am sure will be a surprise to everyone here.

Oh, by the way, I changed my screenname also.  It used to be "betty"+a last name.  Don't know if that rings a bell or not
  Let me guess, started with the letter "T", right. I definitely remember you Betty :)

Carl!  :-*

MtD

Back at ya Matty! :-*

Ford, yes it is an ambitious list of stuff to do. Getting it all done will depend on finances. We do most all of the work ourselves, so costs are reasonable, but still.... This is on top of the regular stuff like cutting firewood, working on the property, the dogs, regular maintenance of the cars, etc, etc. But it's nice knowing that I'm still able to do such things.

Thanks again everyone for making me feel welcome back here. I am truly looking forward to spending some time here. Have a great day everyone ;D ;D ;D

CaptCarl

Offline weasel

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 04:35:30 PM »

Hey  Carl ,
                   Glad  to see you are up and running !

Carl    :)
" Live and let Live "

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
Hey Carl, glad to see you back my friend!   Glad the surgery went well also.

many hugs,

Alan   :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 12:52:42 PM »
Oh Carl, I just read this whole thread, didn't know you had started posting again, but I'm very happy that your are  ;D so, does this mean your as good as new?  ;D we need to meet up, I didn't realize you lived near me, well sorta? I'm at the very ass-end of Tramway & Candlearia, and your just over then-there-hills east of I-40, I was up your way the other day at the FORD dealership looking at new Trucks, as I'll have to soon replace my 12 yr old 98 Ranger ;)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 12:54:50 PM by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline CaptCarl

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 03:18:36 PM »
Oh Carl, I just read this whole thread, didn't know you had started posting again, but I'm very happy that your are  ;D so, does this mean your as good as new?  ;D we need to meet up, I didn't realize you lived near me, well sorta? I'm at the very ass-end of Tramway & Candlearia, and your just over then-there-hills east of I-40, I was up your way the other day at the FORD dealership looking at new Trucks, as I'll have to soon replace my 12 yr old 98 Ranger ;)

I'm pretty much as good as new as 45 years can be I guess. Yes, we should meet up sometime soon. So I am guessing that you were at the Rich Ford dealership in scenic "downtown" Edgewood?  My Manse is located on a hillside about 5 miles south of town. I had some friends who lived at Tramway and Candle-Area. But then they decided that the East Mountain area was more appealing. Why are you looking to replace your truck? At 12 years old, it's barely broken in. I have a '97 F-250 4X4 that has about 170,000 miles on it, and still runs like a champ. I figure that When things break I'll just rebuild it rather than buy another one. I have a thing for older vehicles with a lot of miles on them. Oddly enough, the oldest vehicle I have (1957) is the one with the least amount of miles on it, (85,000)

Have a great day!

CaptCarl

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 03:37:42 PM »
  I'm pretty much as good as new as 45 years can be I guess. Yes, we should meet up sometime soon. So I am guessing that you were at the Rich Ford dealership in scenic "downtown" Edgewood?  My Manse is located on a hillside about 5 miles south of town. I had some friends who lived at Tramway and Candle-Area. But then they decided that the East Mountain area was more appealing. Why are you looking to replace your truck? At 12 years old, it's barely broken in. I have a '97 F-250 4X4 that has about 170,000 miles on it, and still runs like a champ. I figure that When things break I'll just rebuild it rather than buy another one. I have a thing for older vehicles with a lot of miles on them. Oddly enough, the oldest vehicle I have (1957) is the one with the least amount of miles on it, (85,000)

Have a great day!

CaptCarl

That is what Bob keeps telling me, my otherhalf, why buy a new one with only 50,000 miles on it, when it's in good condition and purrs like a kitten? at this point all it needs is some new shocks and
maybe replace a fan belt, I've kept the ole girl running good for this long, and as cheap as I'm I may keep it even longer  ;D......anywho thanks for the very nice PM Carl , I did reply back ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 04:52:55 PM »
I've missed you..

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.