POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 02:18:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 635405
  • Total Topics: 48197
  • Online Today: 181
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 110
Total: 117

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sunday Times article - HIV, ageing and dementia  (Read 4492 times)

Offline buffaloboy

Sunday Times article - HIV, ageing and dementia
« on: February 22, 2010, 07:22:35 PM »
An article which is very similar in tone and scope to the one that was published in New York magazine towards the end of last year, appeared in the Sunday Times yesterday:

'''...evidence is mounting of another kind of unforeseen and potentially devastating Aids crisis. As HIV patients live longer, many ó including those in their twenties and thirties born with HIV contracted from their mother ó are showing signs of gradual deterioration of their mind and body in ways normally associated with old age. Aids dementia and brain damage are once again emerging as serious problems, ones that are wrecking lives.
'''

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article7032233.ece

I know that this is not the most cheery article to read, but I think it's a good thing that HIV might just be creeping back onto the mainstream media agenda.

Offline tednlou2

Re: Sunday Times article - HIV, ageing and dementia
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 11:01:26 PM »
I was just reading a study where some researchers believe HIV has already done cognitive damage to the brain once it reaches the brain right after infection.  Here are some good articles.

http://www.aids-ed.org/aetc?page=cm-706_dementia

http://www.thebody.com/content/art54535.html?getPage=4

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 11:37:32 PM »
I was gonna say something about this but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. :-\
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 11:46:46 PM »
I've been handling my diagnosis pretty well so far, but this article and the study of tenofivir revealing a large amount of nephrotoxicity are severely bumming me out.

Offline WillyWump

• your ramblings bore Yamaguchi Kitteh
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 11:55:55 PM »
I was gonna say something about this but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. :-\

LOL! Another member and I were just discussing this article and the ramifications it might have on the Forums if we all were to start exhibiting signs of dementia...what a totally unintelligable cluster f*ck this place would become (ok, moreso than now).

But seriously. This Article is quite alarming to me. The image of a 40y/o ambling around a nursing home (potentially due to the meds or th Virus itself) is quite a sad site. I hope they can further study this issue and maybe find out if it is a certain drug or drugs that may be causing this.

Not happy about this.

-Will

_edited for clarity_
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 12:08:33 AM »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 12:09:46 AM »
Wut? ???

LOL.  Slow down Ann, your gon' brake mah brain.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline WillyWump

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 12:10:11 AM »
see it's happening already.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 12:36:21 AM »
LOL! Another member and I were just discussing this article and the ramifications it might have on the Forums if we all were to start exhibiting signs of dementia...what a totally unintelligable cluster f*ck this place would become (ok, moreso than now).
"Denialists and Dementialists" was how you phrased it to me  :D ;D ROFLMAO

I thought this was an interesting quote in the article itself:
Although the potential side effects of all HIV medication are listed on the packet, as Mark points out, ďIf youíre given a drug and told itís going to save your life, you donít ask too many questions.Ē But, as he concludes, ďEvery single day that those of us with HIV live is a new day being written in the Aids manual. We are all still learning.Ē

Although the situation is certainly 1000% better than in the early 90s with only AZT-monotherapy, it's not like there's been a miraculous cure yet. Most of the meds we are taking are less than 10 to 15 yrs old. Will someone live 50 years on Atripla? No one can say with 100% accuracy because no one has taken this medication (or it's components) for 50 yrs yet. Of course, the data suggests that it's possible but there's no telling.

But we do know two things from the early 90s that is the same today.
1) HIV is still the same terminal disease it's always been. Untreated HIV will lead to AIDS, which will lead to Death. (of course, as I've been discussing with several people, this is not 100% true (ie LTNP); however, at over 90% true, I think that should be the message to a newly diagnosed person whose cd4 are already under <500 and viral load is already over >25K or so)
2)HIV meds have been proven to keep people alive and even in "fair" health by reducing the viral load and allowing the immune system to reconstitute itself to some degree - which is a helluva lot better than being dead.

So we're all still guinea pigs, and the doctors and scientists are all still learning. Don't think the riddle of HIV has been solved and you should be able to obtain a magic pill that will guarantee you life. While there isn't a magic pill yet, at least there are nearly 2 dozen meds now (rather than in 1990 when there was only AZT) to help us live and prolong our lives until better meds or that magic pill might get developed.

I'm not surprised at all to learn, as this article and others have pointed out, that perhaps the long-term effects of HIV and even these meds themselves are continuing to be a problem in this epidemic. I never once believed the situation was cured. I've been living with HIV/AIDS for over 18 years now and it's always been a problem in my health and in my life. According to this article that's not going to change even as I get older. Color me un-surprised. ;)

and I thought this was a highly appropriate comment to the article:
the drugs are amazing/the drugs are horrible. the balance is individual and it changes over time. people who do well on the meds get fed up of the horror stories/people who don't do quite so well get sick of the hype and hope. like life, it's complicated. we are not all 'healthy, strong, and living with illness,' just as we are not all ill, weak, and dying of meds and aids.

in the midst of an epidemic, there are the dying and the living; and that part of this epidemic hasn't changed either. Thankfully though, due to the still imperfect meds, not as many are dying now.
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline WillyWump

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 12:56:18 AM »
Well thanks for bringing me down some more Leather :(

Very good points you make. I often wonder what I am going to look like in the future after20 years of meds and find myself browsing the LTS threads for clues of my future self. Will dementia hit me ( we have Alzheimers already in my family), will my organs start giving out, etc... But I think you hit the nail on the head in that in alot of ways we are still guinea pigs, no one knows for sure what the long term effects of the meds will be for us, and especailly so for the younger people in their 20's. But I guess at the same time we should be hopeful that new drugs and discoveries may help us avoid the potentail long term effects of meds.

On the lighter side, perhaps we can start up an AM dementia care center....as I would like nothing more than to wonder aimlessly through the halls with all of yall :)

-Will

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 01:02:03 AM »
On the lighter side, perhaps we can start up an AM dementia care center....as I would like nothing more than to wonder aimlessly through the halls with all of yall :)

Great idea. It would be like a permanent AMG.  Now we just need to argue over the location.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline leatherman

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 03:24:58 AM »
Now we just need to argue over the location.
Somewhere warm please. ;) I just left Ohio after 25 yrs and moved back to the Carolinas to escape the blizzards! It doesn't have to be in the "bible belt", just somewhere where the snow doesn't pile up and hang around for months.  :D
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

Offline leatherman

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 03:36:45 AM »
Well thanks for bringing me down some more Leather :(
Hey chin up Will!

Being that Guinea pig has kept me alive for over 17 yrs ;D since my Randy died. When he was sick they were just starting to use AZT. The doctor told us that he was already too sick to even use that. I took him up to the Cleveland Clinic for a while for some drug trials; but it was just too late.

So even though I hated the AZT, and despise the Norvir I take now, all that junk has kept me alive and in fair health. ;D I'm sure if Randy had had a choice he would rather be here now suffering whatever longterm effects there are than lying in that cold grave I left him in back in Ohio.

goodness knows, even with two partners left behind now, I'm happy just being alive and trying to live as best as can. ;) ;D It's how I honor the memories of Jim :-* and Randy :-* - to really live the life that they no longer can. ;D
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

Offline veritas

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 05:25:37 AM »
Great idea. It would be like a permanent AMG.  Now we just need to argue over the location.

moon,

I just lost it, drinking coffee, all over my computer. I can picture everyone trying to find a commonly acceptable place for a forray into dementia land. LOL  I know --NOT FUNNY-- but a sense of humor is necessary to cope with hiv.

Realistically, not everyone will suffer from cognitive decline early. Just do the things necessary to minimize troubles and should the challenge occur, you might not know it's a challenge.

v

Offline MarkB

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 06:51:20 AM »
I had to smile at the humour in this thread, but having nursed my father (who had Alzheimer's) for some fifteen years until his wretched death, I have to say that the thought of early onset dementia brought on by meds scares the living cr*p out of me. I wonder if there is a test for it. If it were to prove positive, I would be on the next plane to Switzerland. I do not want to go through what he went through.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 07:27:53 AM »
moon,

I just lost it, drinking coffee, all over my computer. I can picture everyone trying to find a commonly acceptable place for a forray into dementia land. LOL  I know --NOT FUNNY-- but a sense of humor is necessary to cope with hiv.

I know a nice beach on Abaco Island in the Bahamas that's an awesome place for dementia land.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Online phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 08:20:58 AM »
I'm thinking Fort Lauderdale - near Wilton Manors so that if someone wanders off they can at least wander to Bill's, Georgie's, Mona's, or the Manor and grab a drink.... ;D
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 08:48:21 AM »
White sandy beach town on the Gulf coast of Florida far away from trendies, with a laid back vibe and cheap housing.
ďFrom each, according to his ability; to each, according to his needĒ 1875 K Marx

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 09:41:55 AM »
On the serious side of this thread; I think that tenofovir is partly the cause of my recent mashing of the brain cells.  I had far more difficulty with my thought processes when I was on that med, but in the last two years, cognition is returning to somewhat normal.  I say somewhat because I just had my 63rd birthday, and aging is very much accountable for some of my brain function loss at this point.

On the lighter side, my sweetie and I have long dreamed of creating a very nice and comfortable place in the southwest to accomidate retired and aging HIV+'s from all over the world, however, those big dollar signs always creep in and smack us up side the head with reality checks.  Just think, wheel chair races in the courtyard, hot and cold running boys and girls to take care of every need, any kind of food, any time, and just about anything you might wish for; taken care of at your whim.  I like it!!!
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline bear60

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 09:55:01 AM »
Is this what we have in store for us:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 10:10:07 AM »

If that is the worst it gets I'll be grateful.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 10:13:53 AM »
I was actually looking up something for another thread and I stumbled upon the "Face of AIDS in Asia" talk about some depressing photos.  Never been so glad to have access to the medicine after that little foray.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »

On the lighter side, my sweetie and I have long dreamed of creating a very nice and comfortable place in the southwest to accomidate retired and aging HIV+'s from all over the world, however, those big dollar signs always creep in and smack us up side the head with reality checks.  Just think, wheel chair races in the courtyard, hot and cold running boys and girls to take care of every need, any kind of food, any time, and just about anything you might wish for; taken care of at your whim.  I like it!!!

If those dollar signs ever stop smacking you upside the head, please reserve a room for me - with a king-sized bed, please!

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 10:33:49 AM »

What's this future shit?  How about right now, and for the last 10 years?  Here is my example, in front of the hotel in Montreal.  I found it in a garage sale, and then rebuilt the whole thing.  I did the upholstery with a nice southwest brocade we used for the dining room, and pig skin.   Then put pinstripes, flames and rainbows all over it.   8)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lynn Lavne

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 10:56:47 AM »
That is one badass hog moffie.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 11:39:31 AM »
I got on one of those scooter things at Sam's club to ride it over for my uncle to use . I almost took out a few people when it took off . All the old folks were giving me the stink eye .

Offline WillyWump

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 11:52:15 AM »
What's this future shit?  How about right now, and for the last 10 years?  Here is my example, in front of the hotel in Montreal.  I found it in a garage sale, and then rebuilt the whole thing.  I did the upholstery with a nice southwest brocade we used for the dining room, and pig skin.   Then put pinstripes, flames and rainbows all over it.   8)

Very sweet Moffie! I love the Southwest Brocade!

Whats the foam for on the front? is it to give rides to willing young cute things? Or is it a safety device meant to protect your face and head in the event sudden stop?

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 12:05:08 PM »
I don't think that contraption would work  where I live. 
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010, 12:20:10 PM »

I will NEVER forget the level of detail you put into the upholstery of that scooter. I was so impressed. I hope it's still working.

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2010, 12:55:07 PM »
Thanks Hellraiser.
Willy, the front is a folding basket, and the top is a lid I created to hide the contents.  I placed the charger in there for the flight, and a nice pink cooler from Target fits like a custom design and is perfect for carrying just about anything that will fit, other than passengers.
Philicia, It worked perfectly for the AIDS conf. in Philly, but you have to use the driveways on side streets since you have curbs all over the place.
Em, you were the best "people pusher" I have ever had, anytime, anywhere.  It was awsome how you simply pushed people out of the way in the Arboretum (sp?) in Montreal.

All in all, it is a lifesaver, when needed.  I probably won't fly with it again, because the ding the shit out of it when they place it in the bottom of the plane.  However, it is always there if I need it.  Beats the hell out of the manual option.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2010, 01:43:16 PM »

Philicia, It worked perfectly for the AIDS conf. in Philly, but you have to use the driveways on side streets since you have curbs all over the place.

Yes, that was exactly what I was thinking.  Curbs are just everywhere here, and there are twice as many side streets as the Manhattan street grid not to mention cobblestone in places. 

Offline aztecan

• 29 years positive, 57 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2010, 01:13:52 AM »
Thanks Hellraiser.
Willy, the front is a folding basket, and the top is a lid I created to hide the contents.  I placed the charger in there for the flight, and a nice pink cooler from Target fits like a custom design and is perfect for carrying just about anything that will fit, other than passengers.
Em, you were the best "people pusher" I have ever had, anytime, anywhere.  It was awsome how you simply pushed people out of the way in the Arboretum (sp?) in Montreal.

All in all, it is a lifesaver, when needed.  I probably won't fly with it again, because the ding the shit out of it when they place it in the bottom of the plane.  However, it is always there if I need it.  Beats the hell out of the manual option.

If memory serves, one afternoon I rode it when we were out sight seeing, or was that curb crawling? I do remember we ended up in a sprightly little cafe that offered small sandwiches and big drinks.

Ah, the memories.

As for the dementia thing, well, I already have trouble putting sentences together, get brain fog like crazy and don't remember things - even a few minutes after I noted them.

I do think it is important to remember to include at least one med that crosses the blood/brain barrier. I don't know if it really helps, but I would like to hope it does.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:16:52 AM by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline WillyWump

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2010, 11:58:10 AM »

I do think it is important to remember to include at least one med that crosses the blood/brain barrier. I don't know if it really helps, but I would like to hope it does.

HUGS,

Mark

I know Sustiva crosses the Blood/brain barrier, or at least I think I heard it does. What are the others? is there a list somewhere. More directly does Norvir/Prezista/ Truvada do this?

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline leatherman

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2010, 12:12:31 PM »
What are the others? is there a list somewhere.
I came across this info (2005) the other day

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Meds/Q165683.html?h75h
AZT, d4T (Zerit), 3TC (Epivir), abacavir (Ziagen), nevirapine (Viramune), efavirenz (Sustiva), amprenavir (Agenerase)
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2010, 12:47:13 PM »
I guess I currently don't have a single one that crosses that ole barrier and haven't for a good decade, and I bet I could still score higher on the SATs.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2010, 05:19:08 PM »
I guess I currently don't have a single one that crosses that ole barrier and haven't for a good decade, and I bet I could still score higher on the SATs.

I'm going to have to put my brain to the test soon. I have to take a national counselor's exam for state licensure. I've been out of school 15 years and it is one of those tests where there can be more than one correct answer and you have to pick the best answer. I know several people who have failed it coming straight out of school. I'm dreading it.

Offline veritas

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2010, 06:02:33 AM »

Prezista and Raltegravir , both drugs  seem to confer protection to the brain through the cerebrospinal  fluid in which therapeutic concentrations of the two medications can be found. See the link below:

http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/2009icr/icaac/docs/101609_a.html

v

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2010, 12:15:44 PM »
Prezista and Raltegravir , both drugs  seem to confer protection to the brain through the cerebrospinal  fluid in which therapeutic concentrations of the two medications can be found. See the link below:

v

Thanks, guess that explains my mental acuity :)

Offline WillyWump

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2010, 02:56:55 PM »

v

Thanks V, this is good to know.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.