POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 09:39:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 631434
  • Total Topics: 47799
  • Online Today: 242
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 8
Guests: 194
Total: 202

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: genuine HIV worries....please help.  (Read 2419 times)

Offline wimble

genuine HIV worries....please help.
« on: February 04, 2010, 12:37:15 PM »
Hi, i would like to thank people in advance for reading...Any advice and thoughts would be much appreciated.

Ok, so about 2 months ago i had unprotected sex while drunk (stupid i know....i will live to regret my mistake for sure!) About a week later i experienced an itchy/burning sensation around the tip of my penis, especially while urinating.......i straight away got checked for chlamydia and gonnoreah, everything was fine there. This problem diminished over time for whatever reason.

A couple of weeks after i developed shingles.....this was worrying because i consider myself to be a relatively healthy young person. The doctor assured me not to worry about hiv. However, it is since she said this that i did infact begin to worry.....u know you're not supposed to search the internet endlessly looking for 'answers' but what can you do when the issue of hiv drives you mental.....

Shingles is the only symptom ive had since my sexual encounter.....no flu like symptoms were or are present apart from some headaches here and there for a week or so......I read that shingles can be the first symptom of hiv infection...how much truth is there in this? I have thought your immune system would have to be worn down quite a bit before shingles reactivates itself.....

I know i should get tested but im so freakin scared its untrue and i think its 90% certain i have caught the infection...I feel like God has punished me serverly for my mistake and is now laughing at me becuse i have recently met a really nice girl who i would love sto start a relationship with. Obviously if i turn out to be positive all this will be taken away from me...surely i don't deserve this type of misfortune. If god gives me another chance I will never put myslef at risk again and will live my life to his intentions. Funnily enough i dont consider myself to be religious but right now I am praying for forgiveness. Again, thankyou for taking the time to read.

Offline RapidRod

Re: genuine HIV worries....please help.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 12:58:33 PM »
Shingles is not HIV specific and God doesn't give anyone HIV. Nothing you have stated is in anyway indictative of HIV. Your symptoms came on to quick to even be related to ARS.  You can cut the rest of the drama. You were old enough to have unprotected sex so you don't need any hand holding to test for HIV.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 01:00:32 PM »
First all, NO ONE DESERVES HIV. It's a virus and some people get it.

Now, if I am understanding you correctly you had unprotected intercourse. If that is so then you do need to get tested. That should be done at 13 weeks past the most recent such incident.

As for your symptoms, there is absolutely nothing HIV specific about them. And no, shingles is not an HIV-specific occurence. Nor is it the first symptom of HIV infection. Nothing you are reporting symptomatically is HIV specific.

HiV is harder to transmit from female to male than the other way round. Given that you had a single unprotected incident, the odds are in your favor against HIV transmission having occured. So when you test I do expect you will get a negative result. But HIV status is not something to guess about so do get tested.

Mixing excessive drinking and casual sex is a dangerous combination. Have intercourse with anyone you want to, but do it the safer way. That means being sober and always wearing a condom for vaginal and anal intercourse. No exceptions.

Good luck with your test and keep us posted.
Andy Velez

Offline wimble

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 01:28:40 PM »
I apologise if I sounded in any way naive when putting my message across...i fully intend to get tested and not guess my status...My drama wasn't put there to gain sympathy votes, i'm sorry. Thank you for the advice and I will indeed keep you posted.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 03:35:58 PM »
OK. Thanks for that clarification. Good luck with your test.
Andy Velez

Offline wimble

knowing the person...
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 04:06:09 PM »
My results come back in about a week and I'm pretty sure i am infected...
I've gone through a lot of emotions this past 3 months, tending to jump between severe sadness to absolute rage. It is my fault i am in this situation, however its hard not blame someone else, especially when you know this person.

I don't know what I will do if it comes back positive, to be quite honest i would love to smash her face in for ruining my life by not telling me she had the virus before we had sex....sure i should have used a condom, but it is also her obligation to tell me so that i can decide whether or not to put myself in that situation....for the record i don't intend to 'smash her face in,' it might make me feel better for an hour or so but it won't change anything....however, she has potentially damaged a lot of things in my life, including social interaction (I'm withdrawing from interaction)........i guess my question to everyone on the forum would be, what would you do if you knew or indeed know the person that has given you hiv?

Thanks a lot.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
Re: knowing the person...
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 04:17:40 PM »
Errr you've got some nerve Wimble. Go back to the Am I Infected forum, where you're required to stay.

MtD

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 04:18:47 PM »
i guess my question to everyone on the forum would be, what would you do if you knew or indeed know the person that has given you hiv?

Thanks a lot.
I knew the person, who transmitted this virus to me in 1985, and so did my partner. Of course i was angry at him, But I was more angry at myself. I visited him when he was in the hospital.

The guy that transmitted this virus to me, died in June 19th, 1986. His mother asked me, if I would be pallbearer for his funeral. I accepted. Ed ( my partner) also attended the funeral with me.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 12.5mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started my first  HAART regimen  on October 24th,03.

As of 6/4/14,  t-cells are at 423, Viral load <40

Current % is at 13% 

62 years young.

Offline wimble

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
The guy that transmitted this virus to me, died in June 19th, 1986. His mother asked me, if I would be pallbearer for his funeral. I accepted. Ed ( my partner) also attended the funeral with me.

Wow, Ray...I admire you and your partner. That must have taken a lot of courage and forgiveness.

Sorry MtD, I wasn't assuming that I am 'living with HIV', thats would be very disrespectful. Of course i belong to the 'am i infected?' forum. I merely thought this post would be more suited to people living with the virus so that you could share experiences. No offence was intended.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 04:32:41 PM by wimble »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 04:34:02 PM »
Wim,

Unless you've tested positive (ELISA + WB confirmation) you've gotta keep all your stuff in your thread in AMI.

MtD

Offline wimble

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 04:42:56 PM »
Ahh i see its a requirement, my bad...kind of a 'no i.d no entry' sort of thing (bad joke).
Thanks for informing me Matt and sorry to be a nuisance by replying...perhaps see you back here soon (fingers crossed not of course).

All the best to all you brave people.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 07:39:07 PM »
Wimble,

I removed the thread you created in the Living forum and merged it with your thread here in Am I, which is the ONLY place you should be posting. Make sure you read and understand our posting guidelines found in the Welcome Thread  that you should have read before posting.

You've already been told that you are highly unlikely to become infected from this one time insertive vaginal incident, so get a grip already.

You won't get any sympathy here - you as the man in a man-woman sexual situation have the power over condom usage. Grow a set and start using condoms no matter who you're with until such time as you're in a monogamous relationship where you have tested for hiv TOGETHER. It's your responsibility for your own sexual health and no one else's.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.