POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 06:15:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23344
  • Latest: TML1991
Stats
  • Total Posts: 636584
  • Total Topics: 48316
  • Online Today: 195
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Living in Gratitude  (Read 790 times)

Offline wow1969

Living in Gratitude
« on: January 28, 2010, 08:26:26 PM »
Two years ago when I found out my life was forever changed by HIV I thought it was over ... There were some really dark days and numb days and some days when I thought "What's the point? I might as well end it" ... No matter what people told me, I thought my life was over.

Yes, people told me and told that it's not the end .. that I don't know what the future holds .. but I wasn't realy listening - i couldn't - things were just changed forever.

The truth is, it is all changed forever. I'm completely healthy. I am not on meds. I've started training for marathons again.

But what really changed my view was this last week of my life. I'm sure that some of you saw my post about how to live alone with HIV, which unintentioally became a conversation about my relationship. But that has provided the basis for a pretty amazing moment in my life.

My partner and I broke up - it was messy to be honest.
Then, after the dust settled, my ex, who I rarely speak to, stepped in unexpectedly and saved the relationship by sorting out the mess we had made and didn't know what to do with.
Then my partner and I get back together.
Then I realized that my ex, who was extremely abusive, has changed alot and is now a better person. I was able to forgive them for everything and after years move on.
Then my best friend who disappeared reappeared and we are talking again ... we haven't spoken in 2 years.
Then ... I made a real time friend who has HIV .. I finally have someone in my real life I can talk to about this crap.
Then ... I made another new friend out of the blue ...

And all of this happened in a five day period. My life is usually so boring. Since I was diagnosed, the only thing I've dealt with is HIV ... Everything else is just going along.

The stuff with my partner was unbelievably painful. I love him so much that I thought I was dying when it ended. But now that it's over ... I wouldn't change the last week for anything ... Without this situation, I would never have had the opportunity to forgive my ex. My relationship would still slowly be dying and is now thriving again. In the last few days, I made new friends.

This was the week I learned that there is no way I can truly predict the future. This has been a wonderful week because, even though it hurt, I ended up richer when it was over. I realized that my life is worth fighting for. That I may have this disease but I don't know what is going to happen in a few years or even next week. Why deprive myself of a potentially amazing future by letting it defeat me today?

This was the week I learned to live in gratitude for the amazing things that I have, the wonderful people I know and the future that hold amazing unknowns for me.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.