Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 08, 2016, 02:32:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

  • Total Members: 29689
  • Latest: Mario18
  • Total Posts: 704647
  • Total Topics: 56097
  • Online Today: 307
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 218
Total: 222


Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

  • Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

  • We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

  • Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Moving from the USA to overseas. Worried  (Read 1576 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Rjane

  • Member
  • Posts: 154
Moving from the USA to overseas. Worried
« on: January 28, 2010, 10:16:34 AM »
I am moving from the USA to the London metro area with my wife of 15 years. How can I apply to get meds in the UK? will they even give them to me? I am so nervous about this. My wife is a u.k. citizen

Offline Hellraiser

  • Member
  • Posts: 4,153
  • Semi-misanthropic
Re: Moving from the USA to overseas. Worried
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 12:59:19 PM »
If she is a UK citizen and you've been married for 15 years then I believe you too are granted citizenship.  I'm not sure of the protocol over there but I believe the state will cover your medication.  I would get in touch with their state services before you actually move to make sure there will be no pause in your treatment.

Offline leese43

  • Member
  • Posts: 257
Re: Moving from the USA to overseas. Worried
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 02:16:51 PM »

As long as you have the correct visa - 2 year spouse visa to start I believe, you will receive free NHS treatment.

•If you have been together for less than four years you are granted a marriage visa for a probationary period of two years. If you are still married and living together at the end of two years in the UK permanent residence (properly known as indefinite leave to remain) will usually be granted.
•If you have been together for four years or more outside the UK and you have passed the Life in the UK test, you are eligible for indefinite leave to remain (permanent residence) in the UK without having to live in the UK for two years.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 02:23:05 PM by leese43 »
Oct 04 - Neg
Aug 05 - infected
Oct 05 - cd4 780, vl 60k
Apr 08 - cd4 430, vl 243
Jul 08 - cd4 550, vl 896
Nov 08 - cd4 730, vl 1.8k
May 09 - cd4 590, vl 1.5k
Sep 09 - cd4 460 vl 34k
Dec 09 - cd4 470 vl 42k
April 10 - cd4 430 vl 88.5k
July 10 - cd4 330 vl 118k
Aug 10 - started reyataz/truvada/norvir
Aug 10 - cd4 380 vl 4k (12 days after starting meds :))
Sep 10 - cd4 520 vl 1.5k
Oct 10 - cd4 590 vl 44
Jan 11 -cd4 610 vl <40 cd4% 50
May 11 - cd4 780 vl UD

Offline newt

  • Member
  • Posts: 3,896
  • the one and original newt
Re: Moving from the USA to overseas. Worried
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 06:13:20 PM »
Citizenship does not confer eligibility for state services in the UK (except imprisonment and sometimes taxation).

NHS treatment is based on being ordinarily resident in the UK. What does this mean?

1. Have lived in the UK legally for 12 months


2. Can show the UK will be your permanent place of residence


3. Have a job in the UK


4. Are studying full-time/doing approved voluntary work in the UK

As you are married to a UK citizen and both relocating home (so to speak), there should be no problem, especially in London, tho to smooth the process I suggest you both go to the same clinic, and initially at the same time. There will be some paperwork, but not much. It would be prudent to have 1 months' supply of meds to cover the time it takes to get stuff sorted out.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Cliff

  • Member
  • Posts: 2,645
Re: Moving from the USA to overseas. Worried
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 05:42:57 AM »
No need to worry.  Go to a clinic and register as a new patient.  Yes, bring enough meds to cover you for a month or so.  Access to healthcare is based on residency not citizenship.  You'll be fine.  It's easy, peasy. 

Take your immigration papers with you, though it's unlikely you'll need them for the HIV clinic.  However, you will need them when you register with your GP (along with proof of residency, utilities/lease/mortgage/etc..).

Offline tommy246

  • Standard
  • Member
  • Posts: 435
Re: Moving from the USA to overseas. Worried
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 12:22:39 PM »
To make sure and remove any doubts contact your nearest british consul  for the full picture
jan 06 neg
dec 08 pos cd4 505 ,16%, 1,500vl
april 09 cd4 635 ,16%,60,000
july 09 ,cd4 545,17%,80,000
aug 09,hosptal 18days pneumonia cd190,225,000,15%
1 week later cd4 415 20%
nov 09 cd4 591 ,vl 59,000,14%,started atripla
dec 09  cd4 787, vl 266, 16%
march 2010  cd4 720 vl non detectable -20  20%
june 2010  cd4  680, 21%, ND


Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2016 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.