POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 07:15:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 24023
  • Latest: ohuser
Stats
  • Total Posts: 647000
  • Total Topics: 49288
  • Online Today: 182
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Philadelphia didn't make the cut  (Read 1684 times)

Offline aztecan

• 29 years positive, 57 years a pain in the butt
Philadelphia didn't make the cut
« on: January 23, 2010, 01:58:44 PM »
But Albuquerque did! ;D

It was named one of the 15 gayest cities in the U.S.! 8)

http://advocate.com/Print_Issue/Travel/Gayest_Cities_in_America/

I guess the gay diaspora has had some benefits after all.

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Philadelphia didn't make the cut
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 02:21:13 PM »
This will probably annoy some people, but I always find a lot of these surveys in terms of Philadelphia overly white-centric.  Philadelphia is a very large city, but with a demographic that makes it the second largest non-white population of a large city (after Detroit). 

I don't even live in the "Gayborhood" area, yet my neighborhood has a LOT of gays considering it's not specifically gay.  In fact, I think right now my entire building which has six apartments is all gay except for one apartment.

But hey, it's the Advocate and like I said it's white-centric.  I'm still not sure how they formulated that piece.  The other thing I'll add about Philly gays is that due to the 90 mile proximity to NYC a lot of the younger queens drive up there to go out to clubs, so that lessens the gayness in Center City a bit.  I can't cite any statistics on this, but having lived in NYC for 15 years I know there were always a lot of Philly queens that drove up every weekend.

Plus we have better sandwiches here :)
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline aztecan

• 29 years positive, 57 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 02:37:27 PM »
I knew that would get you.  ;)

Their "criteria" was less than inspiring.

But, I do agree a lot has to be said for the gayness of non-metro centers.

As for the "whiteness," you are probably right. But The Advocate is still one of the oldest gay publications still extant.

It was a fun survey, nonetheless.

I've never been to Philadelphia. One of these days, I will make the trek just to see the place.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Jody

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 02:49:45 PM »
Philly...Would a gay apartment be one that oozes lavender?  :D

With my latest Advocate to arrive in the mail it came with OUT magazine and there was a letter stating that The Advocate would no longer be mailed out as a standalone magazine.  I don't know it they are merging with OUT which is more trendy I suppose or what, but the OUT was much thicker than the Advocate, no pun intended.  ;)

Jody  :)
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 02:57:06 PM »
I'm pleased to see my hometown of Asheville on the list. Percentage-wise there seems to be a lot of gay people, especially lesbians. Because it is so small, and because people love to talk, it is difficult to remain closeted there. The first time I set foot in a gay bar in Asheville within 24 hours someone called my younger brother and told him I "had been seen at O'Henry's!"

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 03:03:53 PM »

I've never been to Philadelphia. One of these days, I will make the trek just to see the place.

You know you always have your own personal tour guide for a visit.  We can even hop the train for a day trip to Manhattan.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 11:02:19 PM »
I love Philly.  Some yummy food, good art museums and I even enjoyed the tour of Eastern State Penitentiary...

Offline decayingsinner

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 07:57:44 PM »
Yes, the Eastern State Penitentiary rocks.  I can only get into the whole "gayborhood" thing about once or twice a year.  I live outside the city and it's nice to go into every so often... but it's gay scene is kind of lame.  For one, my boyfriend and I could care less about it and its bars are just okay.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 09:16:42 PM »
9. Austin
This countercultural lefty Shangri-la in the middle of Texas has been going through a growth spurt. But no matter how cosmopolitan their home gets, gay and lesbian residents will always take their barbeque, two-stepping, and live music culture seriously. Many visitors say that this city’s sophisticated, lively lesbian social scene rivals those of New York and Los Angeles. And the clothing-optional swimming area Hippie Hollow attracts thousands of au naturel gays for the semiannual Splash Weekends.

Well, it sounds good if you read it out loud, but unless you arrive with connections, you’re unlikely to walk into the “social scene.”  I agree that ladies are way more organized and connected in this city, but boys are S-O-L if the just fly in without friends or at least a CL consultation. There are several cliques, from the “A-list Bar Boys” to the “I -am-an-artist-and-or-patron“ to the “I-don’t-go-to-the-bathhouse-and-don’t-you-talk-to-me-if-you-see-me-there.” There is an active activist scene, but again, it’s cliqued. Anyone who ever goes out can meet at the three churches, the off-dozen nightclubs, or dozens of more diverse gay/lesbian friendly businesses.
But there’s no “gay area.”  Downtown has the Warehouse District, and there's more condos opening there, but...still nothing like other cities I've been to where I can see that it's the gayborhood. There’s plenty of neighborhoods all over the huge metro area that have a lot of queer folk, but there’s no “epic-enter” of “gay-whatever.” You have to  use your gaydar, or hope they come to you.

The best advice I can give to gays seeking a “scene” in Austin is to read pick up the Austin Chronicle and find your  appropriate community listing and pursue it. You can peruse the bar listings, too, but  word-of-mouth is how this blue-capital-of-a-red-state moves best.

And Hippie Hollow is not on an easy bus route.

And I tend to keep my clothes on there.

And you can ask me if you have more questions about Austin. We’re still tryin’ to Keep It Weird!

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 11:28:35 PM »
There's nothing gayer than the Castro in San Fran... :)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 11:44:43 PM »
There's nothing gayer than the Castro in San Fran... :)

The piers once were!

>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fs_8BqQ1TQ

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 10:58:30 PM »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.