POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 08:36:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23495
  • Latest: kylebam
Stats
  • Total Posts: 639214
  • Total Topics: 48519
  • Online Today: 200
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dems lose 1 seat and Obama caves? WTF!  (Read 2982 times)

Online mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Dems lose 1 seat and Obama caves? WTF!
« on: January 20, 2010, 05:16:36 PM »
How about a bit of spine, dems.  And Obama, shame on you! 

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/21/health/policy/21health.html?hp

Obama Signals Scaled-Back Ambitions on Health Bill
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
Re: Dems lose 1 seat and Obama caves? WTF!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 05:22:42 PM »
I agree, WTF?

Just got a "robo" call thanking all Arizonans for the support of that invalid, McCain, or as we say in our house, McPain.  The call was from some Senator Brown in Mass.

I immediately called his office in Phoenix and promissed that I would be donating mega amounts of money to make sure he and Kyle are not allowed back in Washington DC in 2011, and to make sure they are both sent to a rest home to make sure they don't bring any more negative shit to Arizona anymore.  Such a pair of out of touch assholes I have never seen before.

No of course I don't have mega money, but never hurts to give em hell.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 05:42:39 PM »
Matty the Damned is an avid follower of politics. His guide through the swamp of US political doings is the indefatiguable Rude Pundit, aka Lee Papa.

Herewith Rude's take on the MA Senate race.

NOTE: The Rude Pundit's site is best considered NSFW.

MtD

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 07:18:19 PM »
Immediately after the election I received emails from the DSCC and the DCCC seeking donations. I replied and I quote, Fuck off you gutless wonders, you will not get one more dime from me. You guys wouldn't say shit if you had a mouthful. Grow a pair while I register as an Independent. Fuck You!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 07:30:37 PM »
Coakley didn't run a good, strong campaign, and Brown did.  I was watching Chris Matthews last night, and one of the democratic analysts was talking about how when Bush wanted to get prescription coverage under Medicare, he only got 30% support, but he kept pushing, and now to even mention touching that part of Medicare is political suicide.  That's what Obama needs to do-keep pushing.  And the whole Democratic party needs to get off their asses and quit cow-towing to a bunch of right-sided assholes.  This is extremely disappointing. >:(
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 07:58:08 PM »
At dinner, we chortled over this and we decided that we should have a "Balls" campaign, and see how many people around the globe we could get to send a pair of balls to the Whitehouse.

Below, you will find a few sample apps., one of which would work just fine in the Whitehouse Ballroom.

Here is a link to a supplier and loads of more application photos. 
http://www.bullsballs.com/balls/photos.html

[attachment deleted by admin]
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 08:07:17 PM »
I don't think Coakley lost because of a poor campaign on her part (at least not ONLY because of....).  I lived in Mass. for a long time and she was an extremely popular figure.  I think Scott Brown was able to grab hold of some themes that resonated with the voters. 
Even Tues afternoon, I was of the mind that there was no way Mass. was sending a Republican to the Senate.  Other than the governorship, they haven't been sending many Republicans ANYWHERE.  I think that there was, in fact, a message from the voters -- one that I suspect the other politicians in Washington are going to listen to. 
I'm not convinced that it is about Health Care per se -- I think it's more about HOW this bill came about and all the backroom, closed door dealings that have gone on.  I think it boils down to arrogance -- the Dems were a bit too arrogant here and thought they could do it all alone and didn't even bother with the appearance of trying to be open and transparent.  That is, in my opinion, why the GOP now holds what was probably the safest Democratic Senate seat in the county just a year ago.

Mike
Atripla - Started 12/05
Reyataz/Norvir - Added 6/06
Labs - Pre-Meds
Sep05 T=350/25% VL98,559
Nov05 288/18%  47,564
Current Labs
May2013 691/31% <20

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 05:45:51 AM »
What's that rumbling I can hear all the way over here on The Rock? Oh, I know, it's three Kennedy brothers turning in their graves. ::)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 06:20:18 AM »
What's that rumbling I can hear all the way over here on The Rock? Oh, I know, it's three Kennedy brothers turning in their graves. ::)
Ann you can find it on "Dems went Wild and on "Busted." ;)

Online mecch

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 06:25:47 AM »
Yeah what is it with this Democratic lack of balls. Who or what neutered the Dems?  Hillary? Pelosi (hope she has a big set cause health care is up to her, now)? Oprah? who? what? where'd those balls go?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 06:45:35 AM »
Yeah what is it with this Democratic lack of balls. Who or what neutered the Dems?  Hillary? Pelosi (hope she has a big set cause health care is up to her, now)? Oprah? who? what? where'd those balls go?
ROFL, You won't get the dems to vote on the Senate Bill. They are not going to make a political suicide. They know how hard it is to find a job.

Offline frankt

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 10:27:37 AM »
The problems with this plan are many. It was done in secrecy, it asked others to pay unions costs, it asked nothing of lawyers,it was cobbled together by so many corrupt deals no one can keep track of them,it had no way of lowering prices other than by denying treatment or rationing care. Just yesterday I paid $3000 for my hiv drugs. Last week I paid a higher price for my blood pressure medicine than I paid twenty years ago? What other industry has prices higher today than 20 years ago? How do we get the consumer back in the equation? That is the only way to lower prices without rationing care or denying treatment. I get sick seeing my hiv med bill but I know under Obamas plan I will be denied treatment as some point in time if the new plan has intentions of lowering prices.
Why not just take all these trillions and just insure the uninsured. It would be cheaper.

Online mecch

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 01:47:25 PM »
What other industry has prices higher today than 20 years ago?
Did I miss something in your logic? Prices go up in most industries.  Except maybe computing power. And slave labour produce.  And cheap chinese imports.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 07:18:20 PM »
I have to agree with most of what Mike said... I am a native of that great Commonwealth... still have extensive family there.... from what i hear from the natives  the Dems just got a severe case of Hubris and the gods ( voters) punished them.....   the Commowealth of  Mass  has a basic "everything" health plan...I think it is the only one in this country... the locals saw that whatever was being proposed meant they would have to pay more for what they already got for free or for nominal amounts...  The Dems kept say  "you just dont understan...trust us""   well that dint work...   now the political price has been paid in Mass. and it will start to happen all over....  remember that old saw."you cant fool all the people all the time"  well it looks like that has taken hold in Mass. at least, and will spread as the elections coming due this year will demonstrate.....

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 07:27:13 PM »
a little hijack  but to follow up on what frankt said...i recently got a statement from the adminstrator of my military health plan...prescription charges...   one pharmacy sent a bill for $22,000 for a months supply of a special med.  the negotiated charge was $630 which the govmnt paid  my copayment is pegged at a fixed amount..... but the current proposed / and Medicare plans do not allow the govment to negotiate   med prices.... ?????????  why not?????  some agreement with the Pharm industry???

too many little hidden deals in the bill to let it go forward...the Dems know best????

Nick

Offline Basquo

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 09:10:31 PM »
What other industry has prices higher today than 20 years ago?

Gas, petrol, whatever you call it...video rental, dry cleaning, the APR on my credit cards, the price to drive a car into a county park which is the only legal nude "beach" in Texas...do you have some Carol Brady fixed-rate deal going on? The value menus have stayed even but for the rest...

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 01:59:41 AM »
Health insurance premiums have been increasing way beyond the average inflationary increases of almost all service related industries. It's obscene and unsustainable.

But putting that aside, the Democrats have once again proven what a spineless lot of self-interested tools they are. The only reason they ever get my vote is because the Republican alternative is so much worse. Healthcare reform is dead. They may pass some minor utterly useless reforms just to save face, but real reform is over. Democrats are scared because they lost one seat. They deserve to lose the House and Senate in 2010. Sad part is the countless people who will suffer and die because of the scaredy pants Democrats and a president who shows absolutely no leadership on an issue of a generation. Only the Democrats canmake it a foot away from the finish line, then decide to run the other way shaking in fear. Pathetic.
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 04:27:37 AM »
a little hijack  but to follow up on what frankt said...i recently got a statement from the adminstrator of my military health plan...prescription charges...   one pharmacy sent a bill for $22,000 for a months supply of a special med.  the negotiated charge was $630 which the govmnt paid  my copayment is pegged at a fixed amount..... but the current proposed / and Medicare plans do not allow the govment to negotiate   med prices.... ?????????  why not?????  some agreement with the Pharm industry???

too many little hidden deals in the bill to let it go forward...the Dems know best????

Nick

Nick your historical amnesia is amazing. The biggest agreement made with pharma was when the Republicans passed medicare part D. A little detail you continue to ignore.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 08:03:24 AM »
The dems bill is over along with their backroom closed door dealings, that's all that matters. Time to rewrite the bill. 

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 10:57:06 AM »

Nick

And the Republican's plan is?

RAB

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2010, 01:28:32 PM »

Even former world leaders are chiming in on this subject :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrB1oD3Ex1M
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2010, 01:34:15 PM »
sorry i seemed to pin the tail on the Dems... they just happen to be running the ball these days...  all the  pols play trade off games  the deal for the Medicare part D  was terrible... the newer plan essentially expanded what was already an awful agreement......... there currently exist several  govt run/ sponsored health systems that actually negotiate the rates for everything including   meds  even the Major health plans negotiate rates for whatever they can...... I find it abhorrent the there is not enough balls on the part of any of the pols to actually use what already exists  (  govt contracts/agreements )....  instead of playing quid pro quo   for whatever reason.........if they really wanted to save some money that would be a good place to start

Nick

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 01:42:48 PM »
RAB  there is nothing any better than the awful mess that this group is trying to sell, but the back pocket plan seems to be to get the insurance industry to fess up about unwritten policies on  denying claims and put some teeth into regulating how/ when certain terms  can be used..... like the preexisting conditions, limits on coverage, and age variances.....maybe even an insurance pool for those who otherwise cant get coverage... , 

not a plan exactly but steps to improve the process of coverage/lack of insurance....

Nick

Online Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 02:46:41 PM »
I do blame the Democrats . They have really blown it this time .

To make matters worse I live in Alabama so me voting for Democrats is like spitting in the wind but I do it just the same . I gave up emailing my displeasure to my Representatives in Washington who are all Republicans and probably enjoy email from pissed off democrats .   

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.