POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 04:14:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 631754
  • Total Topics: 47828
  • Online Today: 266
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: occupational exposure  (Read 6038 times)

Offline scaredbill

occupational exposure
« on: January 17, 2010, 08:55:39 PM »
i am currently employed in the dental field.  i enjoy my work, but sometimes I let my OCD take hold on the job.  Recently I had an exposure on the job that has concerned me.  I arrived at work preparing to see my patients.  I was in the restroom cleaning up before seeing my patients and hit my head on the corner of a cabinet.  The incident left a cut/gash and a knot on my forehead.  The cut bleed a little and left a visible place on my forehead.  I put alcohol and antiseptic on the cut/gash and then saw my patients.  My concern is:   Could I be at risk if a patients blood splashed from their mouth onto my forehead and got in my cut?  I did not notice any blood on me, but sometimes patients mouths bleed quite a bit.   

I am also concerned about scratching my hand a couple of times with a dental instrument (surface scratch).  I know these incidents are probably low risk but my OCD is at an all time high.  My spouse tells me I can't be concerned about every other cut and I know HIV is not viable outside its host......mainly concerned about blood splashing on a cut and the risk.

thx

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
Re: occupational exposure
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 09:02:36 PM »
Bill,

You are not at risk of HIV infection because of a bloodsplash on a wound in the manner you describe. Cuts and grazes bleed outwards and tend to close over fairly quickly to prevent things like HIV getting in.

HIV is transmitted inside the human body. It is a fragile virus and requires quite specific circumstances to be passed from one person to another, such as unprotected anal or vaginal sex.

That said I would imagine it's good clinical practice/standard universal infection control procedure  to cover all cuts and scrapes when you're seeing patients. Not only for appearances but as there are other more robust pathogens than HIV you might like to avoid.

I encourage you to take the time to read our Welcome Thread

MtD

/edited for grammar/
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 06:56:55 PM by matty.the.damned »

Offline scaredbill

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 11:03:44 PM »
So in your opinion this incident would not require testing, correct.

Offline scaredbill

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 11:09:13 PM »
I have no other risk factors beside this incidence. 

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 12:33:48 AM »
No, I do not believe that testing is warranted under these circumstances.

MtD

Offline scaredbill

toilet seat exposure
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 06:58:27 PM »
I was recently at a local mall shopping.  I had a bad reaction to some mexican food I had earlier in the day and was forced to use a public restroom.  In the rush to "relieve myself" my penis touched a "sticky" place on the toilet seat that hadn't been cleaned off.  Now I am having anxiety that I could have contracted HIV or Hepatitis C from my penis touching something on the toilet seat.  Is this even possible or am I being totally irrational?

Online RapidRod

Re: toilet seat exposure
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 07:22:41 PM »
Please return to your original thread. Take the time to read the posting guidelines.

Offline scaredbill

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 07:28:46 PM »
I was recently at a local mall shopping.  I had a bad reaction to some mexican food I had earlier in the day and was forced to use a public restroom.  In the rush to "relieve myself" my penis touched a "sticky" place on the toilet seat that hadn't been cleaned off.  Now I am having anxiety that I could have contracted HIV or Hepatitis C from my penis touching something on the toilet seat.  Is this even possible or am I being totally irrational?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 07:34:11 PM »
It's more than possible Bill, you are without a doubt being completely irrational. HIV (and HCV for that matter) cannot be transmitted via toilet seat. Even in public lavs.

As a clinician you should know this stuff Bill.

I think you might benefit from some face-to-face counselling with an appropriately qualified therapist or other mental health worker.

Please be aware that we are not able to provide that kind of support in these forums.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 10:38:44 PM »
First of all, please follow our rule and keep all of your entries in this same thread. I have merged your threads into this single one.

You've been coming here long enough by now to know that HIV is a fragile virus that is not transmitted via environmental surfaces. Instead of worrying needlessly, take the time to read our lesson on Transmission and find out what the real risks are for HIV transmission. There's a link to it in the Welcome thread which opens this section. This epidemic is going to be around for a longtime to come and no one can afford to be ignorant of what's risky and what isn't.

As far as your mall experience, it is absolutely not in anyway a risk for HIV. Period. End of story.
Andy Velez

Offline scaredbill

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 09:35:39 PM »
I work part time as an aux. police officer.  About a week ago i had an incident that has worried me to death.  i was recently in a foot pursuit. The subject ran through a brushy area with lots of thorns and pricklies.  The subject got away from me that night.  I later got a report that he was in the area bleeding heavily from running through the bushes.  This is what scares me though.  While chasing him I got my legs cut up in the bushes as well.  The thorns scratched me through my pants and left several small scratches.
Here is the kicker though, today I found out the subject has HIV and HEP C.  I am worried to death that the same bushes that cut him could have cut me.   I may just have irrational fears, but I am scared to death that I could have got HIV and especially HEP C from a thorn that cut him them cut me.  I am scared of infecting my wife and family......am I just being irrational or do I have a real risk of HEP C and HIV.....my co-workers say im am being totally irrational.  Do i need to get tested?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 09:44:27 PM »
I work part time as an aux. police officer.  About a week ago i had an incident that has worried me to death.  i was recently in a foot pursuit. The subject ran through a brushy area with lots of thorns and pricklies.  The subject got away from me that night.  I later got a report that he was in the area bleeding heavily from running through the bushes.  This is what scares me though.  While chasing him I got my legs cut up in the bushes as well.  The thorns scratched me through my pants and left several small scratches.
Here is the kicker though, today I found out the subject has HIV and HEP C.  I am worried to death that the same bushes that cut him could have cut me.   I may just have irrational fears, but I am scared to death that I could have got HIV and especially HEP C from a thorn that cut him them cut me.  I am scared of infecting my wife and family......am I just being irrational or do I have a real risk of HEP C and HIV.....my co-workers say im am being totally irrational.  Do i need to get tested?

You are being irrational Bill. Listen to your co-workers. You don't need to be tested for HIV because you ran through some bushes in hot pursuit of a bleeding evil-doer.

Get some counselling.

MtD

Offline scaredbill

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 10:10:24 AM »
So even though I was scratched by thorns that could have possibly scratched him I'm not at any real risk. 

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 12:30:15 PM »
Read this carefully: ABSOLUTELY NO RISK WHATSOEVER.

Read our lesson on Transmission. You need to get down on the basics. There's a link to that lesson in the Welcome thread which opens this section.
Andy Velez

Offline scaredbill

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 06:39:16 PM »
I recently was kissed on the check by someone of unknown status.  They had extremely chapped lips with a small amount of bleeding.  I have a small scratch on my face where this person kissed me.  Has this incident put me at risk for HIV?  Is it possible to transmit HIV from someone with bleeding chapped lips like this? Should I get tested? Help!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 06:43:14 PM »
Yet again you are coming to us with another totally non-risk situation. By now you have been coming here long enough to be able to evaluate this kind of thing by applying what has been said to you previously.

If you come back again with another one of these you are going to get a 28 day Time Out. We're not here to indulge you everytime you have some fanciful idea about what is a risk for HIV.

Get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline scaredbill

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 06:53:28 PM »
i am very sorry Andy.  You have been very helpful to me.  I have extreme OCD and I do need to seek counseling. I know in my mind I have no risk, but my mind goes through so many non existent scenarios.  I will not be back unless it is appropriate.  thank you.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 07:24:01 PM »
Life is too short to spend on unnecessary suffering. Get yourself some professional help. We cannot provide that in this setting.

Good luck to you.
Andy Velez

Offline scaredbill

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 10:03:08 AM »
Last night while doing aux. police work, I helped make an arrest on a known HIV positive male.  The man was extremely intoxicated and resisted.  When we got him to the jail he was bleeding around his wrists where I had handcuffed him.  When I removed the cuffs from his hand I got blood on my fingers.  I am now worried because I have several hang nails that are sore and had been bleeding.  IS this a risjk?  Do I need to be tested?  Could this put my wife and family at risk?  Very scared bill here.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 10:57:13 AM »
No, your latest fear is another unwarranted one. HIV is a fragile virus and is not transmitted in the manner you are worried about.

Read or re-read our lesson on Transmission. There's a link to it in the Welcome thread which opens this section.

You're very quickly heading towards getting a Time Out for 28 days from this site for coming here with your unwarranted fears about HIV.

Andy Velez

Offline scaredbill

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 05:30:56 PM »
Hey guys ..it's me Bill ...here again looking for your expert answers.  I frequent fast food restaurants. With my two lines of work I have little time to prepare my own food.  Recently at a fast food restaurant I had a sandwich that i noticed had 3 or 4 drops of blood on it.  I had already taken several bits of the sandwich when I noticed the blood.  I am worried over the incident due to having bleeding gums.  Is blood or semen on food a risk for diseases like HCV and of course HIV? or am I once again being paranoid.......please be gentle with your answer Andy.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 05:44:54 PM »
Hey guys ..it's me Bill ...here again looking for your expert answers.  I frequent fast food restaurants. With my two lines of work I have little time to prepare my own food.  Recently at a fast food restaurant I had a sandwich that i noticed had 3 or 4 drops of blood on it.  I had already taken several bits of the sandwich when I noticed the blood.  I am worried over the incident due to having bleeding gums.  Is blood or semen on food a risk for diseases like HCV and of course HIV? or am I once again being paranoid.......please be gentle with your answer Andy.

Bill,

We've already explained to you UMPTEEN TIMES that you cannot contract HIV from casual contact, nail clippers, chapped lips or anything that might involve tiny amounts of blood.

I think it's pretty clear that your continued participation here is not in your best interests and I for one, will not be enabling this behaviour on your part by answering any more of your silly questions.

Get yourself some mental health support. Hopefully one of our Moderators will hand you a Time Out to assist you with this.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 09:19:28 AM »
Bill, you need help with your OCD and your concerns about HIV, a kind of help we cannot provide in this setting. Do yourself a big favor and seek out a professional so that you won't have to continue to labor with these unfounded worries.

In the meantime I am giving you that 28 day Time Out which you have been warned about more than once.

HIV is not your problem. Get some help with the real one.

Good luck to you.
Andy Velez

Offline scaredbill

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2010, 04:57:57 PM »
I think I put myself at risk again!  There was a bad wreck at a busy intersection in my town.  I jumped out of my car to help anyone that was injured.  The first thing I did was put on latex gloves due to the possibility of administering first aid.  A gentleman in the crash had a large gashing wound on his head.  I told him to lay on the ground and the ambulance would arrive soon.  I don't believe I touched him but am unsure.  I don't remember seeing any blood on my gloves.  What has me concerned though is I had just shaved and had some minor cuts and skin irritation.  I am worried that I touched the latex gloves to my face to wipe away some sweat and have infected myself.  Do I need to be tested for HIV and HCV over this incident?  Have I put my wife and child and risk? Am I just being irrational.  Please answer kindly, I cannot deal with being made fun of...I am really really worried. Is testing warranted here.

Online RapidRod

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2010, 05:05:29 PM »
   Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline scaredbill

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2010, 05:08:03 PM »
So your saying I had no risk?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2010, 05:18:13 PM »
So your saying I had no risk?

Of course you were at no risk. We've explained how HIV is and is not transmitted to you on more than one occasion.

Clearly we're not getting through to you. I urge you to seek professional assistance with your unfounded fears about HIV infection.

I do not see how your continued participation in this forum is good for you or a profitable use of our time. I am referring your latest posts to the Moderators for review.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2010, 06:27:35 PM »
Like Matty I can only say that once again there was no risk. You don't seem to have learned anything from what we have previously said to you.

If you come back again with more of this no risk stuff I can promise you another Time Out.

Apparently you have not gone for the professional help which I previously suggested. 

Consider yourself warned.

Andy Velez

Offline scaredbill

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2010, 05:26:03 PM »
Earlier today I had a man of unknown status sign some documents for me.  While going through the papers I cut my hand on one of the staples and it began bleeding.  Here's the part that scares me.  The gentleman was picking at a scab on his ear which came off and was bleeding.  He handed me my pen back with blood on it from his ear. The blood came in contact with the cut on my hand.  Could this blood to blood contact put me at risk for HIV.  Do I need to be tested for the sake of my wife and family?  Is this a risk?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2010, 05:45:41 PM »
Earlier today I had a man of unknown status sign some documents for me.  While going through the papers I cut my hand on one of the staples and it began bleeding.  Here's the part that scares me.  The gentleman was picking at a scab on his ear which came off and was bleeding.  He handed me my pen back with blood on it from his ear. The blood came in contact with the cut on my hand.  Could this blood to blood contact put me at risk for HIV.  Do I need to be tested for the sake of my wife and family?  Is this a risk?

It is regrettable that you have returned to ask about the same no-risk environmental transmission stuff.

Clearly you have a mental health problem regarding HIV transmission. Unfortunately we are not able to provide with the sort of support you need. I encourage you to seek the assistance of an appropriately qualified mental health practitioner.

As I have mentioned previously I also believe that continued participation in this forum is not in your best interests. I have therefore referred your latest post to the Moderators for review,

MtD

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2010, 06:45:11 PM »
I hope for the sake of your patients you are not still working in Dentistry.

Have you read ANY of the lessons here on how HIV is and is not transmitted?

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2010, 08:22:30 PM »
You really don't seem to be capable of hearing and applying what is said to you here. Of course there was no risk.

I pity your family having to put up with this nonsensical behavior of yours. Stop torturing them and yourself and get some professional help.

Meantime I am giving you another Time Out. This one is for 56 days. Again, don't make the mistake of trying to get around it by creating another name. That will be spotted right off and get your permanently off of the site.
Andy Velez

Offline scaredbill

occupational exposure
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2010, 07:59:40 PM »
Hi Bill here again.  Since the last time I was here I have been doing much better with my fear of HIV.  I now realize many of my fears are irrational.  Last night I had an incident which gave me cold chills and I am here for some helpful advise.  Myself and my fellow officers had a car stopped and found several hypodermic needles inside the vehicle during a search.  I made sure to wear my gloves and was very aware of my surroundings.  We found 5 different syringes and one cap that we could not find a syringe for.  My concern is that maybe I missed one of  the the needles while searching the car and got stuck.  I'm assuming if I was stuck with a needle I would definitely feel it. I didn't notice any marks or bleeding.  So my question is if I was stuck by a needle would I feel it? Have I out myself and family at risk for HIV again? Do I need PEP? 

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 08:07:42 PM »
Hi Bill here again.  Since the last time I was here I have been doing much better with my fear of HIV.  I now realize many of my fears are irrational.  Last night I had an incident which gave me cold chills and I am here for some helpful advise.  Myself and my fellow officers had a car stopped and found several hypodermic needles inside the vehicle during a search.  I made sure to wear my gloves and was very aware of my surroundings.  We found 5 different syringes and one cap that we could not find a syringe for.  My concern is that maybe I missed one of  the the needles while searching the car and got stuck.  I'm assuming if I was stuck with a needle I would definitely feel it. I didn't notice any marks or bleeding.  So my question is if I was stuck by a needle would I feel it? Have I out myself and family at risk for HIV again? Do I need PEP? 

Bill,

If you were stuck by a needle you would know about it.

It is clear that you have not dealt with your irrational fear of HIV infection at all.

You have been warned on previous occasions about raising these ridiculous "what-if" scenarios to the extent that you have received not one but two temporary bans from the Forum.

There is nothing we can do to assist you with your fears. I am referring your latest post to our Moderators for review.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2010, 10:13:25 PM »
Bill, you really need the kind of help about HIV which we cannot provide. You've been warned repeatedly. Now you are permanently banned from this site. We rarely do this but you just don't seem to listen or learn from anything we have to say to you about what is a risk and what isn't.

We simply cannot tolerate you coming back again and again and abusing what this Forum is intended to be to members. 

Do yourself a big favor and go get some help with your problem.  
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:20:02 PM by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.