POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 10:06:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 643218
  • Total Topics: 48939
  • Online Today: 219
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Thinking about all the HIVers in Haiti  (Read 3165 times)

Offline tednlou2

Thinking about all the HIVers in Haiti
« on: January 13, 2010, 11:56:30 PM »
I've been thinking about all the HIVers in Haiti the last 2 days.  According to poz.com, 120,000 Haitians are living with HIV.  Nearly 7,000 died of tuberculosis in 2007.  Many need daily treatment for tuberculosis.  We've known for years that Haiti has been hit hard by the HIV epidemic.

I think about the problems I've written about on here dealing with my own HIV.  I know when I write what my CD4 is and talk about issues I have, there are others who are in really bad shape and wish they had my problems.  When I read posts from people with CD4s over 1,000 and are elite controllers, I wish I had their problems.  I guess we all see things through our own lenses. 

I've been thinking what would happen if something happened here that has happened to Haiti.  What if we couldn't get access to medical care?  What if we didn't have access to HIV meds?  I'm not sure what kind of access to HIV meds Haitians had before this.  I think about getting pneumonia last year and being rushed to the hospital.  How many HIVers down there were sick with tuberculosis or pneumonia or will become sick with something?  Where will they go?  I was told I would have died if I didn't come to the ER when I did.  These people don't even have water or food as I understand it. 

As screwed up as our healthcare system is here, I'm feeling grateful I have access to care and meds when I need them.  With waiting lists for ADAP across the country, I'm not sure this is true for everyone and I can't be sure I won't be put on a waiting list at some point.  Still, I'm worried for our fellow HIVers down there--not to mention everyone else.  After seeing so many bloody people, I wonder if people would refuse to help people they knew or suspected had HIV. 

I have been looking for a way to donate to HIV groups in Haiti, but haven't found a way.  I guess the best thing to do is to just donate to the Red Cross and other groups.  I want to help HIVers, so maybe some of that will get to HIVers.  Don't get me wrong--I want to help anyone.  I just feel more connected now to our fellow HIVers.  I know you can donate by texting "Haiti" to "90999".  $10 will be billed to your phone bill. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Thinking about all the HIVers in Haiti
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 06:56:35 AM »
Ted, I've been thinking along the same lines.

I have been looking for a way to donate to HIV groups in Haiti, but haven't found a way.  I guess the best thing to do is to just donate to the Red Cross and other groups.

If you're interested in getting medical care to hiv positive people, a good organisation to donate to is Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF). If you specify which relief effort you want your money to go to, they will honour that request. If they have enough money for the effort your specify, they will write to you and ask if you want your money to go elsewhere, or if you want your money back. The did this with the Tsunami effort. They are one of the best NGOs out there. I've just read a book about them (Hope in Hell) and they are one of the few NGOs who steadfastly remain apolitical. They are truly a humanitarian outfit in every sense of the word.

http://www.msf.org/

They are already on the ground in Haiti.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 12:24:21 AM »
Thanks Ann for the info. 

I also found on thebody a group in Haiti that works with HIV/AIDS.  Their website is:  http://www.gheskio.org/

They also mentioned:  http://aidforaids.org/

I've heard of aidforaids in the past while reading about being able to donate HIV meds that you no longer are using--  if you switch regimens, etc.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 12:29:40 AM »
One more thing....it isn't just HIV meds.  They also need antibiotics for OIs.  I know I still have some Bactrim DS and some refills.  I got this when I was sick and before my CD4 bounced back.  I'm actually thinking about refilling another prescription and sending it.  I know non-narcotic precriptions are good for refills for 1 year. 

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 12:41:07 AM »
One last thing---

You can also donate money to aidforaids. 

Offline jm1953

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 05:07:54 AM »
I started by donating $10 to the Red Cross through the 90999 "Haiti" text system.  I'd like to donate more, and the organization Ann referenced sounds like a good one.  It is good to know exactly where your dollars are going.

We think we have it bad here.  This tragedy is a major wake call for all us. 

Does anyone know if their was a lot of damage in the Dominican Republic as well since I think they share the same island or land mass?

JM
Positive 25 years. 7/21/2012 Current CD 4: 780 Viral load: less than 50. 38 to 40%
Current drug regimen, Isentress, , Emtriva, Sustiva Wellbutrin, Klonipin, Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 05:36:47 PM »
They mention GHESKIO and other places:

HIV/AIDS Clinic in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, Hit Hard by Earthquake; How You Can Help

LINK:

http://www.thebody.com/content/art55130.html

Offline karry

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 06:31:54 PM »
I am  raising funds for the Red Cross and hoping those who need the help will get it, especially PLWHA.

I am so glad the Canadian government is matching the contributions we make here to the Candian Red Cross Haiti Earthquake fund dollar for dollar...encourages me to give even more, knowing it will be doubled.....
Take it a day at a time....and be positive about it too!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 07:27:17 PM »

It is good to know exactly where your dollars are going.

JM, That's exactly why I like MSF - they do with your money what they say they will and refund it - or ask you where they can focus it instead - if the funds aren't needed where you asked them to use your money. They're also very good at getting the best bang for your buck and very little goes to waste.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 08:47:52 PM »
JM, That's exactly why I like MSF - they do with your money what they say they will and refund it - or ask you where they can focus it instead - if the funds aren't needed where you asked them to use your money. They're also very good at getting the best bang for your buck and very little goes to waste.

Ann

Like Ann, I also donated to MSF ("Doctors Without Borders") today, and do so most years. Doctors Without Borders knows how to set up a clinic with (unpaid, I think) international professional medical staff, and spends very little of your donated $ on anything but the materials and logistics needed. They aren't afraid of danger; they work in war zones, too. With MSF i feel my donation---no matter how small---is being spent on meds, gauze, generators, not advertising!

For those of you who don't remember, MSF/DWB won the Nobel Prize a few years back.
http://doctorswithoutborders.org/news/article.cfm?id=4157&cat=field-news for Haiti info; "DONATE" in the bottom portion.

For all the ways we make fun of inept UN peacekeepers, I saw many of them doing a good job on CNN today (Venezuelans, Chinese(?), Bolivians). It takes armed troops to make sure food and water distribution goes to the weakest and smallest members of the population. Also saw massive supplies on pallets from the German Red Cross. It's nice to see international cooperation, instead of bullets and drones. The US government seems to be responding quickly, comprehensively, even generously. I am thankful for that.

-Steven (aka megasept)

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 09:02:57 PM by megasept »

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 09:01:25 PM »

Does anyone know if their was a lot of damage in the Dominican Republic as well since I think they share the same island or land mass?

JM

I checked online, and it looks like the Dominican Republic escaped the devastation Haiti suffered. That doesn't mean nobody or nothing was damaged (my sources were OLD, not today's).

-Steven (aka megasept)

Offline tokyodecadence

• A one room disco.
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 11:05:24 PM »
Thank you Ann for that, I just donated to MSF. They immediately sent me a confirmation email about the Haiti relief. I'm actually also in the midst of setting up a donation drive with my volunteer leader at my job for food, clothing, and toys.
[.Fodão.]

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 11:45:40 PM »

Doctors Without Borders knows how to set up a clinic with (unpaid, I think) international professional medical staff, and spends very little of your donated $ on anything but the materials and logistics needed.

I believe the "expat" staff is paid a small stipend while in the field so they can keep up on rent/mortgage/other bills back home. If I remember correctly, many do not take this money. The total ex-pat staff is actually quite small. In most locations, only a skeleton ex-pat staff is used and they primarily train and employ local staff. This helps leave an infrastructure behind if and when they pull out. It also empowers the local population to look after their own with competence. I can't praise this organisation enough. They're also mainly privately funded - in some locations, totally privately funded - so they aren't beholden to any (and I mean ANY) government. This lets them remain totally neutral and neutrality is exactly what you need when you want to help people survive war and other catastrophes. Too many aid organisations have become political puppets.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 02:53:07 AM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/34886039#34886039

I was watching NBC Nightly News and they did a report about an HIV doc and HIV patients.  It was so sad to see a patient who had HIV also have arm aputated.  I would like to see more reporting about HIVers in Haiti.  This report was too short. 

Above is a link to the video report.

Offline umfowabo

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 05:08:40 AM »
I'm actually also in the midst of setting up a donation drive with my volunteer leader at my job for food, clothing, and toys.

I know you probably just want to do something to help  but mayeb you could just collect money for one of the aid agencies.Like MSF or RedR or something.Because people always try to send clothing food etc but all it does is cause more problems and then people have to deal with the stuff thats been sent instead of getting on and doing more important work.Unless they actually ask people to send clothes or food then it's much better to just give money to agencies who will use it best.
There is a good article here which I think people should read http://blogs.dfid.gov.uk/2010/01/killing-relief-with-kindness/

If you are a business there is a UN site for matching your donation to the biggest need.It's here http://business.un.org/en/browse/needs   Haiti is the top 4 needs.

Matthew
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 05:11:37 AM by umfowabo »

Offline tokyodecadence

• A one room disco.
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 01:07:40 PM »
Yeah I've already thought of that, thanks.

I know you probably just want to do something to help  but mayeb you could just collect money for one of the aid agencies.Like MSF or RedR or something.Because people always try to send clothing food etc but all it does is cause more problems and then people have to deal with the stuff thats been sent instead of getting on and doing more important work.

The business I work for prohibits collecting money without the paperwork run around through corporate. And we already *know* how we're executing it. And I've already donated money. Maybe you should inquire about whether or not we have some sort of plan, before assuming that we don't.
[.Fodão.]

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2010, 01:12:26 PM »

Maybe you should inquire about whether or not we have some sort of plan, before assuming that we don't.

Do you? I'm curious.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline umfowabo

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 05:25:55 PM »
LIke I said I think it's great the people at your work want to do something practical to help.But I know a lot of development workers and people who do emergency response work.And I've spent a lot of time in countries with emergency humanitarian problems.I was just trying to explain to you how even if your company has a "plan" or whatever no one is actually going to thank you for sending stuff.All it does is block the channels for aid that has been asked for getting through.And then development workers who should be doing other things have to sort through it all.Most of it will be thrown away anyway because it won't be stuff they need or can use.For what it will cost your company to send stuff aid agencies could have bought loads more times the amount of supplies which would also be money going to the local economy.If people at your work have food and clothes they want to donate they'd be better off finding a local place like a homeless shelter or womans refuge to give the things to.

That was all I was trying to tell you.Matthew

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 06:05:44 PM »
MSF/IRC are the way to go.

I've made a small contribution via this outfit.

MtD

Offline Tempeboy

• Like St Francis of Assisi I am wedded to Poverty
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 06:51:03 PM »
MSF/IRC are the way to go.

I've made a small contribution via this outfit.

MtD

Nice one MTD - do you know if they have a branch in Australia? - I don't have credit cards
Roughly roundabout somewhere in the eighteenth or nineteenth century, Sodomite begat Homosexual out of moral, medical and legal models, bequeathing him Identity, who inbred with Nuclear Family and Industrialism to spawn Homophobia.

Dean Kiley

Offline decayingsinner

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 10:00:10 PM »
Tednlou2- thanks for the video about HIV/ Haiti.  I may be mistaken, but besides Africa, isn't Haiti the most stricken with the HIV/AIDS disease?  As I sit here on my laptop, I can't even imagine how these poor victims are suffering.  I am so thankful that I have a three month supply of my medication while many people there probably haven't had medication since this catastrophe...and now they are struggling to even get the basic nutrition part of survival. It's all hard to comprehend.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 10:22:13 PM »
Nice one MTD - do you know if they have a branch in Australia? - I don't have credit cards

A donation to MSF Australia would be equally as good. They have a Sydney office.

MtD

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 11:02:46 PM »
You're welcome for the video.  I was upset watching the news last night.  A doc was telling a mother that her daughter would need an aputation.  The mother and daughter broke down.  I just can't imagine going through that.

I think you're right that Haiti has been hit 2nd hardest by HIV after Africa.  I guess this is based on per capita infections and access to treatment.  And, the extreme poverty.

Offline decayingsinner

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 09:59:20 PM »
And once I got to work today... hearing that they had another 6.1 earthquake is so saddening. I feel horrible. I wish I had funds to contribute.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.