POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 08:01:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 22215
  • Latest: chuff
Stats
  • Total Posts: 620285
  • Total Topics: 46733
  • Online Today: 254
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Name-Brand drugs VERSUS new generic replacements. Is there a skimp in quality?  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Rendog

As old drug patents begin to expire on name-brands, and their cheaper generics rush in to replace them, are  we forced to sacrifice the integrity of our quality-controlled regimine for inferior parts made in China, just because our Insurance Provider has an eye on the bottom line and decides to forgo the original?

Part of my cocktail therapy includes Bristol-Myers Squibb's VIDEX EC which has now gone generic: didanosine. It's been good drug therapy . . . longterm, compatible and effective. That's why it's traumatic to me when my Provider recently notified me that they're removing it from formulary, trying to bully me into the cheaper generic.

I do not ascribe to the belief that all generics are like their originals, especially when it involves crucial AIDS anti-retrovirals. My doctor agrees with me and we're appealing with my Insurance Provider for an exception: prior auth.  I don't foresee a problem.

Nevertheless, has anyone else dealt with this issue? Has anyone else been happy on a generic replacement, finding no difference at all?  I'd like to hear from all sides of this issue, if you'd care to share.  Thanks.

:-\

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Part of my cocktail therapy includes Bristol-Myers Squibb's VIDEX EC which has now gone generic: didanosine.
didanosine has already been generic for easily 4 or 5 years now.

I've been taking it in OH and now SC for all those year and didn't notice any difference at all in side effects or effectiveness. ;)
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Oh my friends, my friends forgive me
That I live and you are gone.
There's a grief that can't be spoken.
There's a pain goes on and on.
Empty chairs at empty tables
Where my friends will meet no more.

"Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" from Les Miserables

Offline Matty the Damned

Matty the Damned doesn't know how it works in the rest of the world, but here in Oz generic drugs must be bio-equivalent to their brandname counterparts.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?

Matty the Damned doesn't know how it works in the rest of the world, but here in Oz generic drugs must be bio-equivalent to their brandname counterparts.

Same here in the UK.

One of the meds I take (non-hiv) is a generic. While I see absolutely no difference in efficacy, one of the generic brands (it varies from month to month) I don't care for. They come in blister strips and they tend to crumble around the edges a bit when I pop them out. Very annoying. I complained to my pharmacy a few months ago and I haven't had that brand since. (now watch, just because I said that I'll get them next time I fill my script. ::)  )
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Its a good question.
If "first world" HIV+ patients are to be eventually treated with generic drugs - where will these be produced. There are reputable big pharma companies that produce generic drugs and reputable pharma companies in developing countries that produced patented drugs and generics and everthing goes well if its all on the up and up.  The other day a HUGE load of fake drugs was seized in Geneva. Not generic - FAKE - frauds.  Now you would think swiss pharmacies would not be buying fake drugs cause there is universal coverage here and also because Pharmas make money for the economy here.

In years in which I had no insurance, or just for off-label use, I've bought drugs in reputable pharmacies in Mexico, Egypt, Spain etc. that ordinally I would have needed scripts for in Swiss, UK, USA. 

I personally would feel a bit quesy about where a HIV generic was coming from and who was controlling it.  As long as you can trust the system I think its fine.

But as time progresses, whats to say we wont have a repeat of the food poisoning and chemical poisoning we have seen in recent food and consumer goods in China.

This is not a slight on China.  Do you know China has a very advanced organic farming production. But you are NOT getting the delicious chinese organic asparagus in the little cheap jars of chinese import asparagus at the Boston corner grocery store. 

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline veritas

Rendog,

Usually there is no difference in efficacy. Generic drugs are cheaper because the manufacturer did not have to  pay for the discovery end of the drug. See this:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=46204

Generics can be a good option.

v

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
While I see absolutely no difference in efficacy, one of the generic brands (it varies from month to month) I don't care for. They come in blister strips and they tend to crumble around the edges a bit when I pop them out. Very annoying. I complained to my pharmacy a few months ago and I haven't had that brand since. (now watch, just because I said that I'll get them next time I fill my script. ::)  )
I take acyclovir (non-hiv) daily and recently had the same issue. :D The regular generic tablet is a slick-coated blue tab which slides down my throat nicely. The newer generic is an uncoated slightly larger white tablet, that can get easily "stuck" in the dip of your tongue and immediately begins to melt. My case mgr and I were chatting with the pharmacy and mentioned this. My next shipment came in a double-sized bottle. Now it's in caplets, which are even larger yet AND half stremgth, so I have to take twice as many!! ::) :o I'm not saying anything about my meds ever again. ROFL ;D
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Oh my friends, my friends forgive me
That I live and you are gone.
There's a grief that can't be spoken.
There's a pain goes on and on.
Empty chairs at empty tables
Where my friends will meet no more.

"Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" from Les Miserables

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
I take acyclovir (non-hiv) daily and recently had the same issue. :D The regular generic tablet is a slick-coated blue tab which slides down my throat nicely. The newer generic is an uncoated slightly larger white tablet, that can get easily "stuck" in the dip of your tongue and immediately begins to melt. My case mgr and I were chatting with the pharmacy and mentioned this. My next shipment came in a double-sized bottle. Now it's in caplets, which are even larger yet AND half stremgth, so I have to take twice as many!! ::) :o I'm not saying anything about my meds ever again. ROFL ;D

Ew, yeah, one of the generic acyclovir brands I get sometimes is big, round and really chalky and sticks in my throat if I'm not careful. The one I most usually get is oval and has a coating so it slides easily. I've never had blue generic acyclovir, they're always white.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.