HIV Transmission and Testing > Am I Infected?

Stupid Mistake

(1/4) > >>

hune23:
I am a heterosexual female who has always been extremely careful about sex and whom I sleep with. I get tested every year, and use condoms with everyone. However, I have been going through alot emotionally lately and I made the BIGGEST mistake of my life this past Friday. I was extremely drunk, met a reallly nice and cute guy at the bar. We hung out for hours then stupid me went back to his hotel room with him. He has just moved here from Seattle,WA. He says he is in the army and was in the Navy but is now working at the army fort here in town. ANyway, he told me he was tested two weeks ago by the army, and that he was neg. I was tested in March and I am neg.We started off using condoms but I was so drunk I dont remember when we decided not to use them anymore. He never ejaculated in me however I cant forgive myself for sleeping with a TOTAL stranger and I dont where he has been and I really just hate myself for it. We had vaginal intercourse 4 times, twice with a condom and twice without. I am soo scared and upset that I have to wait 13 weeks to get a test. I beleived him when he said he got tested two weeks because he really seemed like a nice guy and I have dated people before that work at the Army Depot and they do have to get their blood tested. I am just scare. What can I do until the 13 weeks are here, can I get tested for other STDS now and if I have a test at 4 weeks will that ease my mind???? Also, what are the chances of me contracting HIV from this act assuming he is positive?? Thanks so much

Ann:
hune,

You would be best off waiting ten days to two weeks to test for the other STIs (except syphilis, which shares a three month window with hiv) unless you happen to get an unusual discharge in the meantime. If you do get an unusual discharge, get a full STI panel straightaway.

You have had a risk and you do need to test - but wait until at least six weeks as the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks. Four weeks is a little too early. A negative at six weeks MUST be confirmed at the 12-13 week point - but would be an excellent indication of your true status.

There's no way to put a percentage on your chances of becoming infected if he is indeed positive. Not every receptive exposure results in infection, but many do.

You need to stop being so hard on yourself. We all make mistakes. It sounds as though you are normally very careful and that is to be commended. Beating yourself up over this is only going to make you feel crappy - which in turn might lead you to believe you are becoming physically ill and you don't want or need that right now. Try to stay productively busy while you wait for the appropriate time to test. Do NOT symptom hunt on the internet either. Symptoms that you read and worry about have a way of manifesting themselves, so be warned. Symptoms or the lack of symptoms means nothing when it comes to hiv infection anyway, so don't bother looking for them.

Hang in there.

Ann

hune23:
Thanks Ann. I am trying to accept what I have done, and I have to accept the consequences which may come out of this situation. I am making an appt to test at 6 weeks. I have to go and get the Morning after pill today at 2:30 so I will make the appt then. Thanks for all of your help.

hune23:
OH I wanted to ask you can my doctor give me AZT drugs right now to prevent possible infection. I read somewhere that if you start therapy within 72 hours of possible exposure then you might can stop the spread of the virus in your body. THanks

Ann:
hune,

What you are talking about is PEP and I just posted some links to PEP information today in this thread. (Please do not post in that forum yourself, it's only for positive people)

PEP is normally only given after unprotected intercourse with a KNOWN positive person. It lasts for a month and there are serious side-effects associated with this treatment. It's not to be taken lightly. All things considered, I don't think it is warranted in your case. You'll have to speak to a doctor about it - but if your incident happened on Friday, it's getting  bit late for you anyway.

Ann

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version