Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:31:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 210
Total: 210

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: is true that a cure or an effective viruts control is near?  (Read 15439 times)

Offline an_user

is true that a cure or an effective viruts control is near?
« on: December 31, 2009, 11:47:01 am »
from time to  time we are used to hear about very surprising news about very effective treatments. however, always, the only alternartive are the traditional ART. Recently I have been reading about other new very exciting therapeutic vaccines which wouldallow the virus to be under control for ever, without ART. Some other talk about eradication. Montagnier himself says in 5 years or less we´ll have available an effecrtive therapeutic vaccine. I also read a while ago about a very effective treatment called RIT, carried out by Mrs. Dada. this treatments kills effectively HIV virus without any side effects, but again....we don´t know more about it.

are we know on the correct and right path which will drive us in 3- 4 years to, if not the cure, at least the non toxic and non limited control ofthe virus? thanks

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: is true that a cure or an effective viruts control is near?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 04:16:45 pm »
Hi, welcome to the forum. Are you HIV+?
I don't know about the mysterious "Mrs. Dada" but the research news is encouraging.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 07:35:50 pm »
I don't know about the mysterious "Mrs. Dada"
google up "RIT HIV" and you'll find that it's "Dr. Dadachova" and "radioimmunotherapy"
http://www.elements4health.com/experimental-treatment-holds-promise-for-treating-hiv.html

are we know on the correct and right path which will drive us in 3- 4 years to, if not the cure, at least the non toxic and non limited control ofthe virus? thanks
who knows. ??? they've been telling us we might have a cure within 5 yrs for the past 20 yrs. When it gets here, it'll get here until then HAART is your best and only bet to keep the virus in check. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline mecch

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 08:57:54 pm »
Wow that RIT research is cool.
And I'm glad that there is a Dr. Dadachova, and not a Mrs. Dada, or Dr. Dada.  Hehe.  Mrs. Dada sounds like the winner of a contemporary art beauty pageant in Zurich (birthplace of DADA) and Dr. Dada, is like that Friends episode where Rachel has a chiropractor (who trained in a shopping mall) called Dr. Bobby Bobby.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 09:50:24 pm »
Dr. Dada, is like that Friends episode where Rachel has a chiropractor (who trained in a shopping mall) called Dr. Bobby Bobby.
LOL I loved Friends. They were my friends.  :-* and I remember that episode

Radiation therapy to get at the limited amount of virus hiding in the resevoirs while undetectable sounds a little extreme to me though. So far this radioimmunotherapy has only been FDA-approved against non-Hodgkins lymphoma, which of course has all it's cells clumped together in a tumor. Seeing that this therapy has only been looked at for it's potential against prostate cancer, metastatic melanoma, ovarian cancer, neoplastic meningitis, leukemia, high-grade brain glioma, and metastatic colorectal cancer (per wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioimmunotherapy), using it against HIV is a very new approach and I really doubt we'll be seeing this anywhere near the 3-4 years "an_user" would like to see
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 06:01:15 am »

10 years ago i seroconverted and 10 years ago i discovered this site and back then the  "10 years from now there will be a cure" was used and still used.id never listen to this sentance again and i will only listen to what my DOCTOR says.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline an_user

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 12:23:46 pm »
yes, you are  right, sorry. I meant katerina dadachova. some error occured when I wrote the name.
and this name is only one amontçg much others.
Sensual, allow me to tell you a thing, and don´t feel offended by this, please. It is only an opinion. the idea you expressed is good but I think it is very conformist. Science has made great advance, good treatments came in 1995. but many years have passed! People is suffering, and can´t be during all life awaiting a better treatment, awaiting an awaiting, 10 years, and then other 10 years, and other 10....What happens with all very interesting new experimental treatments listed on this forum? When time goes, really they are so uneffective? Only HAART?, always HAART?, for ever HAART?  AZT was launched very quickly at the beginning of AIDS pandemy. Really is necessary now to wait, 20, 30, 40, 100 years for better and NON TOXIC treatments to come? is it so difficult? Iam sure that any, at leats one of the new experimental treatments on phase III, if not totally cures, at least would allow people to live healthy, without side effects a normal life. then: WHY IS NOT ALREADY THAT TREATMENT AVAILABLE? I think there can´t be any one on this forum disagreeing with me at his point.

Offline simpleguy

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 03:20:18 pm »
Hiv-treatment is big bucks and therefore nobody is interesting in finding a cure.

Is that really so? Then what about

Arclis' AGS-004 DC immunotherapy, phase II
Genetherapy VRX496 from VIRxSYS, phase II
Sangamo Zinc Finger, phase I
T-cell genemanipulated receptor from AdaptImmune, ph. I
Dermavir DNA patch from Genetic Immunity, ph. II
MVA-BN multiantigen vaccine, Bavarian Nordic, ph. II
VACC-4X, Bionor Immuno, ph. II
Tat antibody vaccine (the Italian one), ph. II
KP-1461 Viral decay, Koronis Pharma, ph. II
.. and Bavituximab ;o) (veritas, I hope for great results soon)

None of the above deals with small molecules, like the current line of HAART meds does. I hold hope that some of these will make it to the clinic and be able to control hiv replication, without the side effects that small molecule meds currently have.

Since the discovery of the hiv virus in the 80's a lot of basic research has been done, and a lot of that research is beginning to translate into some of the above mentioned "drugs" that are in clinical trials - not preclinical or "proof of concept"-ish. No, they are actually in clinical trails! And basic research is still ongoing in parallel to the development of novel treatments.

In reality a lot of these might not make it past phase II. Some of you LTS'ers have mentioned this in other threads, as a warning about not getting too hyped up about news about novel treatments. But - right now we are beginning to see the promise of genetic science (genetic manipulation, and later on perhaps stem cell treatments) and also an accumulation of extremely detailed knowledge about the workings of the hiv virus coming to fruition in the form of novel treatments. It's hard not to get a bit excited about that, I think.

I really really believe that alternative(s) to HAART will be available within the next 10 years. I dare not say 5 years though that would be fantastic.

--

edit: I know none of these treatments would constitute a cure, but they would (presumeably) boost the feeling of quality of life as an hiv-positive on current HAART meds.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 12:13:28 am by simpleguy »
2008 JUL: Sustiva OCT: Rayataz DEC: Kaletra • 2009 Off meds • 2011 Intelence • 2012+ Complera

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 03:38:17 pm »
...AZT was launched very quickly at the beginning of AIDS pandemy. Really is necessary now to wait, 20, 30, 40, 100 years for better and NON TOXIC treatments to come? is it so difficult? Iam sure that any, at leats one of the new experimental treatments on phase III, if not totally cures, at least would allow people to live healthy, without side effects a normal life. then: WHY IS NOT ALREADY THAT TREATMENT AVAILABLE? I think there can´t be any one on this forum disagreeing with me at his point.

When AZT was launched so quickly, the alternatives were almost entirely ineffective -- often it amounted to letting people die.

Now, the alternative to a new treatment is HAART, which is effective and tolerable for most people.  It is not perfect, but it keeps me alive.

There is no guarantee that the new experimental treatments on phasse III will not have horrible side effects or that they will be effective -- that is why they are in clinical trials, to see how they will work on actual people and carefully monitor those people

It would be immoral to rush out new treatments at the same pace and without testing today as in the past, when there are alternatives today that (are imperfect but generally) work.

A
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline 1867

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 07:55:42 pm »
Either way. I will keep the faith and I remain confident that we will have a cure for this horrible virus this year!

Offline stargate12

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 11:01:54 am »
I found the following clinical trial

http://clinicaltrialsfeeds.org/clinical-trials/show/NCT01019551

They say that viral eradication in selected HIV-infected patients is possible with intensive antiretroviral therapy plus immunomodulation.

Can someone explain to me what kind of immunomodulation are they talking about ?

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 12:35:40 pm »
fantastic !
and who are the selected HIV-infected patients ?

Offline mecch

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 01:09:51 pm »
Azt made a lot of people very sick and arguable killed them.  It was released in the hope that it might help.

I wouldn't want to be a Guinea pig for some new treatment and end up a gooey mousse in a hefty bag because some dna or enzyme miracle potion goes horribly wrong.

Its a conundrum.

Offline veritas

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 01:35:15 pm »

stargate12,

The immunomodulation is IL-7 that claims to activate resting cd4 infected cells. See this:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-01/joci-iwo122904.php

and this:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/142567.php

It has already been tested in humans !

One to watch !

v

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 02:32:37 pm »

They say that viral eradication in selected HIV-infected patients is possible with intensive antiretroviral therapy plus immunomodulation.

how can they claim that hiv eradication in selected hiv-infected patients is possible,when the trial (phase 2 ) is going to start Feb 2010 ? !!!!

can someone explain ?

cheers

Offline georgep77

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 04:33:19 pm »
Sound  Awesome !!!
Come on Sangamo,  Geovax,  Bionor immuno, ...Make us happy !!!
+ 2008

Offline hahaha

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 01:02:08 am »
Hiv-treatment is big bucks and therefore nobody is interesting in finding a cure.

Is that really so? Then what about

Arclis' AGS-004 DC immunotherapy, phase II
Genetherapy VRX496 from VIRxSYS, phase II
Sangamo Zinc Finger, phase I
T-cell genemanipulated receptor from AdaptImmune, ph. I
Dermavir DNA patch from Genetic Immunity, ph. II
MVA-BN multiantigen vaccine, Bavarian Nordic, ph. II
VACC-4X, Bionor Immuno, ph. II
Tat antibody vaccine (the Italian one), ph. II
KP-1461 Viral decay, Koronis Pharma, ph. II
.. and Bavituximab ;o) (veritas, I hope for great results soon)

Oh, and don't forget there is PD-1, IL-7 and GeoVax, .... (by the way, how does PD-1 clinical trial goes? does anybody know?)
Aug 9, 2006 Get infected in Japan #$%^*
Oct 2006 CD4 239
Nov 2006 CD4 299 VL 60,000
Dec 1, Sustiva, Ziagan and 3TC
Jan 07, CD4 400

Offline simpleguy

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 05:06:54 pm »
Has IL-7 been proved to make functional T-cells? Remember IL-2 which raised the CD4s but they weren't immunological effective.
2008 JUL: Sustiva OCT: Rayataz DEC: Kaletra • 2009 Off meds • 2011 Intelence • 2012+ Complera

Offline tash08

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 09:46:54 pm »
I think that the question here is whether IL-7 is able to activate latent cells.
01/04/06-HIV-
03/09/06-HIV+
05/07-Atripla
04/01/10 CD4-681, VL-UD
07/10/10 CD4-450, VL-UD
10/10/10 CD4-473, VL-UD
01/21/11 cd4-522, VL-UD
05/02/11 CD4-638, VL-UD <20 copies Hell yeah!
08/3/12 CD4-806, VL-UD

Offline xman

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 02:52:47 pm »
I was reading about the article reguarding the new drug by Tibotec which should be combined with Truvada in a single pill and for which is expected to achieve “blockbuster sales” in the coming decade according to a news release by industry analyst Decision Resources.
Decision Resources director Drayton added, “we forecast the fixed-dose agent will become Atripla’s successor and will generate blockbuster sales in 2018.”

Perhaps this question should be made to shareholders and financial analysts who seems less convinced to see a breakthrough over the next decade. Investments are going into more HAART drugs which of course are expected to be better as the current ones, at least for side effect issues.

There are less vaccines and gene therapy candidates in the pipeline than antivirals which are to date the category of most interest from a financial viewpoint since the principle of action is proven and the treatment possibilities are high.

Personally I don't think we will see a radical change until 2020. Too much investments in new antivirals. Little chance for a treatment breakthrough to impact the current pipeline of new HAART drugs. Perhaps financial analysts who forecast big sales for antivirals could be wrong in predict such a success but considering the size of investments actually done I guess they don't.

Offline stargate12

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 03:06:35 am »
To xman:

With o without immunomodulation compounds for hiv eradication, antiviral agent or haart will be necessary for a long time.

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 01:12:38 am »
I have faith.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline 1867

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 01:18:59 am »
I have faith.

Preach! Faith is all we need!

Offline stargate12

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 11:08:57 pm »
we need a cure as soon as possible. HAART, as a long life treatment, is not a solution, it is too toxic.
I hope they are  not wasting money and time, cross the fingers and pray God,

Offline simpleguy

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 05:06:18 am »
I believe in science. Have faith in the scientists m'kay..  ;)

Offline Ravhyn

• Nerd Alert
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 06:41:38 am »
I believe we could be nearing a cure.  Genetherapy, Nanotechnology, and so much more information has come out this year alone.  I don't think the cure will be right away though. With all the testing that still has to be done.  Most ideas I've heard of right now are just in theory and haven't even started Phase 1 of clinical trials.  But I do see one hopefully before this decade ends coming out. 

I've gotten bashed for being hopeful on other forums, but this is my view.  I'm hopeful, and I have a lot of faith and that faith (of course along with other factors like love) keep me running each day. And although I've only been recently diagnosed this has truly helped me alone over the past couple of weeks and even helped to cheer my husband up. 
April 2006 - Sero-Conversion
December 2009 - Diagnosed
Jan 2010- VL 3,800 CD4 152
Summer 2010 VL UD, CD4 over 200
September 2010 VL UD, CD4 324
March 2011 VL UD, CD4 477
May 2011 VL UD, 338

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 07:42:33 pm »
I believe we could be nearing a cure.  Genetherapy, Nanotechnology, and so much more information has come out this year alone.  I don't think the cure will be right away though. With all the testing that still has to be done.  Most ideas I've heard of right now are just in theory and haven't even started Phase 1 of clinical trials.  But I do see one hopefully before this decade ends coming out. 

I've gotten bashed for being hopeful on other forums, but this is my view.  I'm hopeful, and I have a lot of faith and that faith (of course along with other factors like love) keep me running each day. And although I've only been recently diagnosed this has truly helped me alone over the past couple of weeks and even helped to cheer my husband up. 

That was nice to hear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2010, 10:02:51 pm »
Preach! Faith is all we need!

Yep, let's close down all the hospitals and clinics and pray!  :o

-Steven (aka  8)  megasept)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.