Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Insurance, Benefits Programs & HIV

Working while on SSD?

(1/5) > >>

franfrog:
Hi everyone.  I know it has been a long time since I have posted.  I usually come on to read but have not posted just since I have been so busy.  I hope everyone is doing well and I was hoping you could help me.
I am so tired of sitting home.  It makes me want to just lay in bed and sleep.  I really miss working.  I was thinking about going back per diem but am not sure since I am on SSD if I am able to work at all.  I do not want to work but maybe a few hours a day for maybe 2-3 days a week.  Anyone know if you are able to work at all on SSD?

Trish:
Hi Fran!!  Long time!

Yes, you can work while collecting disability, but that all depends on how long you've been collecting it.  If you've only been on it a short while, I would wait a bit.  If you go back to work too soon, it may put up a big red flag and you don't want that.  I waited about 4 years before going back to work.  If you do go back, you can make as much as you want for the first 9 months.  After that period is up, you can only make up to I believe it's $940 or $980 a month.  If you go over that amount they will consider it as substantial gainful employment and may cut your benefits.  I've been working part-time for almost 4 years now and haven't had a problem.  I never go over the income limit of $940 or $980.  Just go to SSA.gov for more information.  They have special rules for those of us living with HIV/AIDS to go back to work. I don't know all of the rules, just enough to keep me afloat.

Wishing you all the best!

With love,
Trish :)

BT65:
The amount this year is $980.  My benefits counselor (someone who helps people on disability work) told me next year it's going to be $1000.

dvinemstre:
I would suggest you call your local vocational rehabilitation office and set up an intake. Since you are HIV positive and receiving SSD for some reason (even if not related to HIV) you should be eligible for services. The federal government has lots of rules and regulations on how much money you can make, etc without it effecting your Mediciad or money. The VR office should have a benefits counselor who can walk through all the numbers and advise you of different options. There are a number of of programs which allow you to work for set periods of time to see if you can reenter and if you go through the Ticket to Work program the first X amount of time (varies I think) is notdeemed against your benefits. One of my consumers simply volunteer in the job instead of receiving pay. Of course there are ways around reporting if you desire that and the person could pay you in cash. but that's all up to you. thanks, and please feel free to email me any specific questions at this user name on hotmail, since I don't check here very often. thanks,z

Oceanbeach:
Hi Fran,

I just signed up with the Positive Resource Center in San Francisco.  They are a non-profit organization helping people living with HIV to become employed.  In one of the flyers, they offered www.disabilitybenefits101.org and www.disabilitybenefits101.org/ca/situations/reentry/faq.htm#_q272

This website provides an overview of benefits and how they are impacted when someone on benefits decides to work.  It includes a "Benefits to Work calculator.

There is also the Red Book which serves as a guide about employment-related provisions about Social Security Disability and the Supplemental Security Programs for educators, advocates rehabilitation professionals and counselors who serve people with disabilities.  www.ssa.gov/redbook/   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version