POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 01:43:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 636520
  • Total Topics: 48312
  • Online Today: 168
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: WTF? six years on ARVs and CD4s still below 400...  (Read 2723 times)

Offline SouthSam7

WTF? six years on ARVs and CD4s still below 400...
« on: October 24, 2009, 12:42:19 PM »
I've been on the same regimen for almost 6 years.  I rarely miss a dose.  I work out 3 times a week and eat pretty well.  I was diagnosed at 180 CD4s and VL > 100k.  I take Truvada, Norvir and Invirase.  My CD4s have never gone above 400.  My friends' were all diagnosed after me and their CD4s are always between 700 and 1000 or even higher.  They are on different meds, though.

Does my regimen have something to do with my CD4s?  My VL immediately dropped to undetectable after I started meds, so I thought my CD4s would go way up eventually.

I'm discouraged because my blood lipids are through the roof (due to PI and Norvir I suspect).  Specifically total chol is 250, good chol < 40 and bad chol > 160. Trigs are > 250.  If another regimen would give me better CD4 response and less lipid problems I want to know about it.

I just got a new NP and I think she sucks.  She either has dyslexia or doesn't know anything about HIV.  If I mention a new drug I've heard about, she immediately thinks I'm talking about something completely different (even different type of drug for a different ailment altogether). 

For example, I mentioned Cymbalta for chronic body aches to her, and she thought it was a narcotic!  That doesn't make me very confident in her.  I just had "full labs" last month and she forgot to check blood lipids.

Thanks,

Sam

Truvada
Invirase
Norvir
Tricor
Crestor
Testosterone Cyp. 1.5 cc month inject
Lexapro 5 mg (I have no idea why she put me on this; I'm not depressed I don't think)

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: WTF? six years on ARVs and CD4s still below 400...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 01:07:29 PM »
hey! I don't have anything helpful to tell you; but I was just bemoaning the same thing. ;D

I was diagnosed with AIDS 17 years ago and have been off and on meds for 15 of those years. It took me 10 yrs to reach undetectable.  :o I've been on the same regimen for nearly 7 years  (norvir, reyataz, viread, videx ec) and was just finally coming and staying consistently close to undetectable and 275 cd4 for nearly 2 yrs. running. Now my latest tests just dropped back down to 209. ::)

But you know what? It's been nearly 12 yrs since I was last in the hospital, I've only had the flu twice, and a "mystery fever" twice in all those years, and I feel healthier than I have in the last decade. It's not about how many tcells you have, it's about how well they work  ;)

hope you get some better answers; but you're not the only one with low cd4 levels  ;)
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 01:25:32 PM »
There are studies ongoing that are looking at different agents that seem to increase CD4s, such as IL-7 as well as a vaccine currently in Phase II (Vacc-4x), check out the link below from someone on these forums who is in the study and talks about his Tcells shooting up 300 points! Even though these are still not approved therapies and may not offer you anything now, you never know what's around the corner.

It wouldn't hurt to check the website for the American Academy of HIV Medicine (www.aahivm.org) and see if there are other doctors specializing in HIV in your area, you can do a search by zip code.

LINK:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=27011.msg362658#msg362658

Also, you might want to consider Isentress, which has been shown to be very lipid-friendly and, even though ARV drugs don't seem to act directly on CD4s, many people experience nice gains with it.

LINK:

http://www.thebody.com/content/confs/icaac2009/art53695.html
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 01:41:58 PM by Inchlingblue »

Offline dingowarrior

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 01:38:40 PM »
I have the same/similar issue..I was diagnose in "06" with CD4 OF 180..VL 56,0000..I 've only missed 1 dose in 4 years..and I cant seem to get past the 500 cd4 mark..My doc. says not to worry,I've never been sick even when I was at 180,but I cant understand why I cant get past 500??

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 01:55:34 PM »
When talking about CD4s, you always have to keep in mind that most of us don't know what our "normal" or "baseline" CD4 counts were like before we were hiv positive.

"Normal" CD4s are usually quoted at somewhere between 500 and 1200, so a person who appears to be struggling for years to get past 500 may have only had 500 on average before infection.

It's worth bearing in mind when fretting about your numbers.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Joe K

• Global Moderator
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 02:05:04 PM »
Hey Sam,

I hate to tell you this, but I've been on ARV for 22 years and my CD4s have rarely gone above 400.  I think that some of us, simply have low counts and that is the way it is.  Over the past ten years, I have been relatively healthy, with counts in the 300s and I just accept that it is, what it is.  As to your NP however, you need a new doctor and might I suggest that you start asking more questions.  You say she put you on Lexapro and you don't know why?  I cannot conceive of my starting any drug, just because my doctor said so.  It's your health and you need to understand the pros/cons of any medications, especially depression meds, that are not prescribed by a psychiatrist.  I also find that her omission of testing your lipids, while you are taking Tricor and Crestor to be unacceptable care and you need a doctor experienced with HIV.

Offline veritas

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 03:37:10 PM »

Guy,

This link from Johns Hopkins gives you an overview as to the mgt of cd4s. There could be many reasons for the slow increase of cd4s. Perhaps the link could prvide you with some questions to ask your Doctor.

http://www.hopkins-hivguide.org/management/laboratory_testing/cd4_cell_count.html

v

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 03:41:48 PM »
Thanks, everybody.

I will check out all the info you gave, and also I will relax about my CD4s.  I was unaware, even after all this time, that for some, "lower" CD4 numbers are the norm.

Thanks, again,

Sam

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 07:53:09 PM »
thanks for that link, V ;)
CD4 response generally correlates with VL suppression, but discordant results can occur; 10% have VL suppression but no CD4 rise. Lack of CD4 response is not evidence of treatment failure if VL suppressed.
so perhaps we're not broken or sick, just part of the special 10%  ;D
(though I at least had some rise from the <10 tcells I had when I had PCP  :D )
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2013; updated 2/09/13  Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 02:55:12 AM »
Hi Sam,

My bf was on the same combo for about six years and seemed to hit a barrier. He recently switched to Atripla and hopefully he will see an increase.

As to your doctor, run away, far away from her, lol. Joking aside, I would be concerned that if you ever needed to change your regimen that she may not have a clue as to what a proper regimen should include. Good luck on your numbers.
Diagnosed  July 28th 2003

'I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.' -Diande Ackerman

'Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?' -Frank Scully

'If your ship doesn't come, swim out to it.' - Jonathan Winters

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 05:49:51 AM »
My bf is not getting past 400 CD4 either, after 2.5 years on HAART, most of it on Atripla, though he had about 9 months on Reyataz / Norvir / Truvada too.

I think Ann is on the right track that some people naturally have lower CD4 counts. My bf's initial CD4 count was 300, less than 6 months after infection (last neg test). It's very possible that his normal count was 500 or so. We'll never know, since CD4 count tests only prescribed after one turns poz, never before.

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 07:30:02 AM »
I've been on the same regimen for almost 6 years.  I rarely miss a dose.  I work out 3 times a week and eat pretty well.  I was diagnosed at 180 CD4s and VL > 100k. 
Sam

Truvada
Invirase
Norvir
Tricor
Crestor
Testosterone Cyp. 1.5 cc month inject
Lexapro 5 mg (I have no idea why she put me on this; I'm not depressed I don't think)

I had 16 t-cell in October of 03.  I've been on meds, since that time, or just slightly over 6 years myself.

I've never reached 400 t-cells .  Not quite sure if I ever will.  Mine, mostly test in the low to mid 300 range , with a percentage anywhere from 11 to 14%

The only meds I am currently on are Viramune and Epzicom.  I stopped taking Viread just about one week ago.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 12.5mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started my first  HAART regimen  on October 24th,03.

As of 6/4/14,  t-cells are at 423, Viral load <40

Current % is at 13% 

62 years young.

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 02:02:02 PM »
Thanks, everybody.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.