HIV Transmission and Testing > Am I Infected?

6 week testing question

(1/2) > >>

pat:
Before I freak myself out by reading all of the internet info, I thought I would start by asking my question at a site I have read and seem to find some faith in what I am reading.

I had unprotected vaginal sex and tested with a Home Access Test at 6 weeks.  My result was negative.  What are the experts now saying on the reliability of a 6 week test. 

Like I said... once my OCD tendicies kick in, I can end up spending hours doing internet research... So I would rather start here.  Thank you for any help you can give me.

Ann:
Pat,

As you had unprotected intercourse, you do need to test. Your six week negative is an excellent indication of your true hiv status but is not conclusive. For that you must test again at the 12-13 week point.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. This is why your six week negative is a very good indication. Your test at three months is not likely to change.

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus and more so from a woman to a man. This is why the odds are distinctly in your favour of continuing to test negative.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

You need to also test for the other STIs after your unprotected encounter. You will have to do this in person as there are no home test kits for these. Do it.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread and follow the Lessons links for further information.

Use condoms and avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann

countrykid:
Hi there, Well since u did have unprotected intercourse u need to test........i can understand your state of mind coz i've been going through a similar mental period inspite of having protected sex....anyways best way to deal with it.....get a test 13 weeks (91 days) post exposure for a conclusive result!!!

All the best!!!

countrykid:
And yeah as Ann says things are certainly moving in your favour with the 6 week result......test at 13 weeks for a conclusive result & stay safe henceforth!!

best of luck!

CountryKid!

Ann:
Kid,

You are not in any position to give advice on this website. Please keep all your additional comments in your OWN thread.

Ann

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version