POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 26, 2014, 03:50:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 24298
  • Latest: jose1
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650473
  • Total Topics: 49663
  • Online Today: 190
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Is it possible to test positive after 12 month negative test?  (Read 3707 times)

Offline skeebo1969

Is it possible to test positive after 12 month negative test?
« on: October 20, 2009, 03:52:12 AM »

I took my two year old to her pediatrician yesterday.  We think she might have mild asthma, just as my other two daughters did.  My other daughters grew out of it and have no problems what so ever.  Anyways, she was there to get her immunizations and rubella shot.  

The doctor was looking at her chart and said she should have another HIV test.  I explained that Gia has tested negative at 3 months, 6 months, and 1 year.  I told the doctor that my wife and I were told both by an ID doc and Gia's first pediatrician that these tests were conclusive.
She explained that it is normal procedure, because the virus can come back.

WTF?!?  Come back???  "So doc what you are saying is that it left her body and came back on it's own?"  How is this even possible?  Her original tests were all PCR tests, not the Elisa.... so shouldn't this be a conclusive result?

I'm all about airing on the side of caution, but this had me kind of wondering.  Is her pediatrician just clueless or does she have a valid concern?

After her birth we did everything we were supposed to.  She got her HIV meds (cant remember which one) for the first 6 weeks of her life and I tell you she took it like someone who was seasoned for this...  Gia is such a big part of my and the wife's life.  She is so precious to my wife and I....  we live our every waking moment for this little angel...  I just want her to be ok...  Should I be concerned that her test can comeback positive after coming up negative from the 3 month mark all the way to one year of age?

« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 03:55:51 AM by skeebo1969 »
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Is it possible to test positive after 12 month negative test?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 04:03:54 AM »
Thomas, the pediatrician is clueless. Hiv doesn't "come back" in infants who have tested negative via PCR. If you do have her tested again, you can be confident of another negative result. Give that doctor a boot up the jacksie for me. ::)

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 04:21:32 AM »
Thomas, the pediatrician is clueless. Hiv doesn't "come back" in infants who have tested negative via PCR. If you do have her tested again, you can be confident of another negative result. Give that doctor a boot up the jacksie for me. ::)

Ann

That's exactly what I told my wife.  My wife's motherly instincts want her to go through with it, so tomorrow morning my daughter and I will be getting my labs and her tests done together.  It frustrates me to no end what some of these doctors don't know and what they believe they do know.  My own ID doctor has a chart in one of the examining rooms which states kissing as a risk for transmission.  When I pointed out to him that this was simply not true...  he said well according to the CDC it is.  Of course I had to be a wise guy and ask him, "What does your experience with modes of HIV infection include?"  He admitted that he has never had a patient tell him they got it from kissing.
Of course Dr. Ego had to also follow that up with, "It still happens though"....  I asked to who.. and I damn near fell out of my chair by his response.  To people he said....lol.  My reply?  Oh, I'm sorry did you think I was talking about Orangutans?

Of course he did not like that and immediately gave me my scripts and sent me on my merry way.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 04:32:49 AM »
Thomas, I put that kind of attitude down to the fact that even though they're health care professionals, they're still hiv negative and harbour all the same irrational fears that most other hiv negative people have. When it comes to hiv, scientific common sense seems to go out the window and fears and feelings take over. It sucks.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 06:46:48 AM »
Hi Thomas,
                  I am feeling so angry with your Doc, unnecessary procedures on kids argh plus the anxiety placed on to you and your wife.
         Clearly Dr.ego needs a reeducation  program, If you have the energy you  may like to follow Michael's free access Dr. re- education program.
1-- gather as much in formation as can regarding the issue
2-- upon your next visit with a nice big smile on face, present Dr. with info adding your own version off
     "From my consultations with you I have come to see that you value evidence based medicin  following good scientific principles so I have gathered together this information.....'
3-- enquire weather  Dr surgery has email,  to pass on info if so send Dr as much info etc
4-- Now, this is also a good ego test, and if you receive a brush off then you know its time to ,if possible, find a            new Dr.
5--Explain, in gut churning detail the effect off Miss info on self and love ones
please add any off your own variants.
love Michael

PS --- it is amazingly easy to change posters in Dr waiting rooms I have discovered.In a particularly stuck up Dr a
        postcard advertising tattoos and intimate body piercing remained for 4 months at least
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 12:59:03 PM »

This was brought to my attention yesterday as I was leaving for work and my wife was coming home from work.  We discussed it for about 10 minutes and I told her that I didn't feel it was necessary.  Especially since her first pediatrician made it very well clear to her that Gia is negative, by way of the testing that had been done.  Then of course there was even a 4rth test done by the Health Department who had been monitoring her since birth.  Clean bill of health and all was confirmed well. That was the mindset I was in when I create this thread.

Well.......

Today I am off of work and was getting my labs done (procrastinator) and my wife called me on the phone.  We were talking and the subject of testing our daughter came up. Of course I told her I didn't think it was necessary and I didn't want to put Gia through that, but that if she(wife) wanted to I would be OK with it.  I asked my wife why the pediatrician felt it was necessary after all the negative results on the previous test.  What she said next..... well to put it lightly I was shocked.  

"Because she lives with us and we are both positive"

You know.........  I don't even know what I feel right now about it.  I guess this is what they mean by mixed emotions maybe?  My wife told me this..  It's one thing when you have other people say it to or about you.  Other people meaning those damn negative bastards lol.  

But your wife?  Who is also positive?  

Don't get me wrong I'm not bumming about it.. I'm not angry at all...  just a liiiiiiittttle bit surprised.  This woman ain't stupid either, I mean besides marrying me she ain't no dummy.  It's amazing how intelligent, professional people... doctors and such can think the way they do.  

Up to this point I really liked my daughter's pediatrician.  Finding a good one is almost as hard as finding a trustworthy mechanic.  I don't know how I feel about her now...  kind of want to keep her, but at the same time I don't want to be around someone who thinks you can get it through osmosis......

Well unless it's my wife of course... ;)  I know she doesn't think that....  she can't think that can she?  LOLOL

WOULDN'T THAT BE SOME FUNNY SHIT?

I've only had 3 hours sleep and I think I am rambling a bit here, I'm going back to bed.  Damn nurse who drew my blood this morning had to pry around for a vein.  My veins always look like they are about to pop out my skin except, of course when I go for my labwork.  

Offline Theyer

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 01:37:05 PM »
Take care Thomas, hope it all works out.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 08:33:38 PM »
Ugh.

This is such outdated medicine, it's actually painful to read about.

Once upon time -- like 15 years ago -- it was necessary to retest children born to HIV-positive women around 18 to 24 months of age to definitively rule out HIV infection, given that it can take 18 months for maternal antibodies to clear an HIV-negative infant's body. It was the post-18 month test that allowed labs to confidently detect the presence of bona fide antibodies in response to infection, compared with passively transmitted antibodies in the absence of virus. But with the advent of viral load testing, antibody testing for the sake of diagnosing infants instantly became antiquated.

Two negative PCRs is all it takes to confirm a happy, healthy and HIV-negative baby.

Sounds as if your child's doc is in desperate need of an infectious disease refresher course. So frustrating.

Tim Horn

Offline Robert

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 02:14:46 AM »

I asked my wife why the pediatrician felt it was necessary after all the negative results on the previous test.  What she said next..... well to put it lightly I was shocked. 

"Because she lives with us and we are both positive"

Hi thomas.

you're right.  She can't think that.  No way.

obviously I don't know your wife and who would know but you if your wife was kidding or not, but, well, don't you think, maybe, she was?  A sense of irony, perhaps.  You know, kinda like "yeah, right, look whose talking.  it's not like you don't work with AIDS patients, uh, Dr?"

Obviously, though, this Dr. is bonkers.  It's a shame.  Maybe the Dr. really doesn't believe this and it's her way to up the fees.  You know, unnecessary tests and all that like they've  been talking about in the health insurance debacle.  Do the test, she gets more money, the clinic gets more money, you get peace of mind and, hey, your insurance pays for it....no sweat off your back, right?  So what's the problem?

I don't know, thomas,  Just throwing some random thoughts your way. 

robby

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 03:02:21 AM »

Thanks Michael I appreciate that.  Robert, yep you have a point...  just a bit frustrating just as Tim pointed out.    I promised the wifey tonight I would not create a fuss over it and we've decided the HIV test is not needed.  Wife kind of likes to keep a low profile on the matter, and well I don't know...  I really don't care what anyone thinks of me or my family to tell the truth.  I would like the opportunity to set things straight though, but I'll let it slide this time....

On a bright note I got them damn testosterone and thyroid tests done this morning with my labs.  It took me a couple of weeks but I got it done....  Didn't get the chest x-ray though. That can wait another two weeks. ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 03:08:38 AM by skeebo1969 »

Offline Theyer

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 06:15:40 AM »
Good news Thomas, baby does not get a needless test,and you are keeping the home fires burning sweetly.
michael

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 09:29:24 AM »
So first this doctor claims your daughter needed to be tested again because the virus can "come back". Then she said she needed to be tested "because she lives with us and we are both positive".

I think reason #2 was probably the REAL (in her mind) reason she wanted the testing done. I understand that your wife doesn't want you to "create a fuss", but come on, this doctor needs some hiv edjamakation. She obviously thinks that pozzies and neggies cannot safely live side-by-side and that's a dangerous, antiquated attitude that needs to be challenged and changed. I can understand a pediatrician or general MD not being up-to-date on some of the finer points of hiv infection, but I CANNOT understand how a doctor can not know hiv isn't spread through casual contact. I mean in a way, it's almost like she's accusing you of sexual abuse or sharing needles with your daughter. After all, how else did she think your daughter could have been infected just because she lives with two hiv positive parents? This is definitely something to create a fuss about. Either that, or try to find a new doctor - one who has a clue.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 09:59:02 AM »
I agree with Ann, I think it's time to try to find a new pediatrician.

Hugs to you, and the little angel !

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 10:38:37 AM »
  Thanks Alan!

Ann, that kind of bothers me also.  Well, I found out she is not a doctor.  She is one of the nurse practitioners that work with the two pediatricians there.  She is usually the one who sees my daughter so ....  I'll be honest I thought she was a doctor, she wrote prescriptions, she worked out of a pediatrics office, and she had routinely treated my daughter pretty well before all this.  I didn't think a nurse practitioner could write prescriptions, guess I was wrong.  Evidentally my wife knew she was all along. :-[  

I also feel like she kind of said one thing to me to appease me and then told my wife something else.  Which I agree with you of course, is probably how she really feels.  I am going to give myself time to get my thoughts together on it, I have a tendency to sometimes just react and it never pays off.  

Perhaps at my daughters next visit I will ask to speak to one of the pediatricians there and see if this is an opinion that originated from them, or is it one that this particular nurse practitioner has.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 10:41:21 AM by skeebo1969 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 10:48:59 AM »
Thomas, I would definitely speak to one of the doctors about this. A nurse practitioner - or even just a nurse - should know better than that. I'd go so far as to make an official complaint against her - unless steps were taken to bring ALL the staff at their office into the 21st century as regards hiv. MarcoPolo does hiv awareness training for medical professionals, maybe he could come visit your doctor's office and give 'em some edjamukation.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 10:55:14 AM »
Skeebo, my friend, this doctor needs to count her lucky stars that she is YOUR daughter's doctor and not MINE.  Because if she was, she would have been smacked (verbally, of course ::)).  To put it delicately, unless you or your wife had unprotected sex with your daughter or decided to become blood brothers, there's no way she can "catch" HIV from living with you.  We have 1 pozzie and 8 neggies under one roof and guess what?  Nine years later, we still have 1 pozzie and 8 neggies under one roof.  

I know I'm preaching to the chior, but this crap makes me mad.  The doc is perpetuating ignorance, unwarrented fear, and just plain bad karma.  I agree with the post above - ask the doc when her last HIV test was.  She is after all around alot of dreaded pozzies (please note the sarcasm).

This reminds me of when Mim had a sedated MRI.  When it was over, a VERY paranoid anesthesiologist came into the recovery room and showed us a tiny little scrape (we call them "licky booboos" because as soon as you lick, or kiss, your finger and rub it acrossed the booboo, it goes away).  There was no blood involved.  Anyway, he came in white as a stinkin' ghost to tell us that as Mim was going to sleep, she involuntarily scratched him.  

As kindly as I could, I said, "so, what?".  He was completely aghast!  What did I mean "so what?"?  So he was scared that she'd infected him!  I was stuck somewhere between laughing and getting seriously pissed off.  I told him that he was exactly right and he needed to put on PEP right away.  He'd also need blood tests every week for the next 6mths.  Before you all go crazy - I KNEW he needed no such thing.  I just wanted him to sit in his ignorance and worry.  Not the best move, but it kept me from hitting him.

Bottom line, you two are great parents and your doc is an idiot.  I'd be offended as hell and tell her so.  Then, I'd go find one with more intelligence.  

Best of luck!
Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 11:20:51 AM »
   I agree with both of you.  Something definitely needs to be said.  I have a tendancy to be a little too straight forward and my wife knows this.  I am going to have to sit on it for a few days and it may even be best to do this by phone.

Her first pediatrician was a Vietnamese guy and this dude was absolutely the best.  He was on point with everything concerning HIV , problem was he was 75 miles away.  When the little one is sick a long car ride is definitely not too cool.  Not saying that is the deciding factor by any means.  Her second doctor was this guy and.....  well let's just say I can't stand anyone who has to take you into his office that looks like Donald Trumps office and never says one word to me, the wife, or my daughter during the whole visit.  Saw him once and that's all it took.

So this is her third one and like I said she's been great.  Responds immediately when called upon during late night emergency mommy and daddy panic attacks over the 99.9 degree fever routine, which you think by the third one I would have a handle on....   Even the 3am ER visit due to bloody nose from dried out nasal passages she responded to.  Of course this was not the same lady I saw during the visit, atleast the one in the ER wasn't.  I just figured she was the other pediatrician.
   I'll be honest I can't remember names, my pin number, the color of a customers car, so unless she really makes some kind of hellish impact I just can't remember what she looks like.  Luckily I won't forget this ones face or name.

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 01:33:23 PM »
The insidious part of this is the way that it plays with the irrational fears we all have for our children -- the middle of the night, what ifs. . .  For a doctor's office to encourage irrational doubts rather than help one ignore them is just not right.  And they are not just playing with your head, but your wife's as well.

I think it is important that you have a conference with the pediatrician and get these issues out in the open.  If they have any transmission fears (want to counsel you against pre-chewing the food or something) get them out on the table -- but then demand that they and their staff help you rather than undermine you.

A
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 10:47:18 PM »

I don't want to be around someone who thinks you can get it through osmosis......

Well unless it's my wife of course... ;)  I know she doesn't think that....  she can't think that can she?  LOLOL

WOULDN'T THAT BE SOME FUNNY SHIT?

Hi Skeebo,
It's me, the mother of 4  ;D, in your wife's defense, for the longest time, I had the fear of somehow infecting one of my children. I knew I did everything I was supposed to, they got all thier meds, had all thier tests but it was always there in the back of my head. It may not be logical , but I still had those fleeting thoughts of "What if this, what if that?" and I had doctors that were on point. If your wife is hearing this from someone that is supposed to be edjamakated,  I can see why she would.  Like you said, that is her(and yours) angel.

Go give that nurse practioner the beat down she deserves.

Good Luck!!

Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.