Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:15:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 594
Total: 594

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Flights to London  (Read 7216 times)

Offline Cliff

Flights to London
« on: October 12, 2009, 05:28:49 am »
I did a bit of checking on the costs of flights I could procure to London.  This is based on current travel dates.

Zurich- 254 CHF
Paris- €143

I assume most people can get cheap flights within Europe, so I didn't check very many European cities.

NYC- $434
San fran- $434
Dallas- $434
DC- $434

For some reason, all US flights are showing the same prices regardless of location (flights that we fly to, that is).  I checked going out to next Spring and they increase by about $200 (so $630), but prices tends to fall and rise again the closer you get to your travel dates.

Sydney- 1,478AUD (Price seems odd, as going out it's only 400AUD but the bulk of the price is coming back).  We don't fly to NZ, so I couldn't check that location Jan.   :'(  

Just something to think about.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 09:06:50 pm by Cliff »

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: Flights to London
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 07:45:06 am »
I priced out tickets for May, June, July and Aug from Washington DC to London.

May and June were in the $650-700 range.  July and Aug were in the $900-950 range.  So, the month chosen could add almost 50% to the airfare.

Now, I did this through American Express travel where I would be using some points to pay for most (may-june) or some (july-Aug) of the 2 tickets I priced (I'm bringing Sid).

Mike

Offline Cliff

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 09:26:04 am »
Just to be clear, my prices are discounted fares...and will be less than what you can get elsewhere.

It's a bit tricky to review flight prices, given how airlines manage their inventory.  Looking at prices for July Aug 2010 (even May) is likely to result in prices showing higher than what you will otherwise pay.  Airlines don't start discounting their fares that far in advance.  The prices will reduce the closer you get to your intended date of travel (but then increase substantially once you get really close to your travel date).

If you use Amex points, then the prices above would unhelpful as they are directly with the carrier.  Assuming airlines are still struggling to fill seats next year (and all indications are that this will be the case), then I would expect the discounted prices to remain $400-500 for US flights.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 08:52:01 pm by Cliff »

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 11:49:43 am »

This is fantastic.  I'm looking at $1279 US from SFO during 'High' season (summer months...jun-jul-aug) so I put the kabosh on that. If you can help me with this fare then I'll change my vote to summer or whenever the majority wants.  I'm open on dates.  My only parameters are fares and you seem to have taken care of that.

THANKS~~~

robert
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 09:36:41 pm by Robert »

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 06:31:33 pm »
You may not need this anymore but kayak.com gives airplane fare predictions about 12 months in advance...

Offline Dennis

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 06:43:20 pm »
Cliff,

For budget and price comparison purposes...I know the prices you are quoting are estimates. However, do they include taxes?

Offline fearless

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 07:09:48 pm »
Sydney- 1,478AUD (Price seems odd, as going out it's only 400AUD but the bulk of the price is coming back).  We don't fly to NZ, so I couldn't check that location Jan.   :'( 

That would be a pretty good July/August price, Cliff - it is generally about $2000 at that time of year. It is always far more expensive to buy a return ticket going from Sydney to London than it is the other way, from London to Sydney. Go figure!
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline fearless

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 06:14:47 pm »
Cliff,

I meant to ask if the fares you quote include all taxes.

Steve
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 03:42:26 am »
Hey Steve and Jan

I enquired with United Airlines which is my carrier of choice. A fare that is available with United by telephone only and originating and terminating in Australia is United's round the world fare. For 26,000 miles and 12 stops in one direction they have a fare of $3,300 inclusive, not too bad considering how far you can go and how many stops you can make.

If I'm able to go to London, I would likely go from North America as I will be there in August/Sept.

Thought you might like to know.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline Cliff

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 03:51:56 am »
Steve/Dennis- Sorry missed your note.  Yes, they included taxes and surcharges.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.