POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 12:55:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 639577
  • Total Topics: 48547
  • Online Today: 206
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Curious about a few things?????  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Dale Parker

Curious about a few things?????
« on: September 30, 2009, 03:15:41 PM »
Maybe I have too much time on my hands but reading ByTheBays post got me to thinking.
Hopefully some of the long term survivors and medically wise can set me straight.
I copied some of my reply to his post so your not going nuts thinking you've seen this before.

I am still surprised at the number of us who get tested and are full blown aids without being terribly sick. Most of the people on here either get tested regularly and have CD4 counts just under the HIV classification or are tested while they are seriously ill and have pretty low numbers. Both of these are understandable.
     Although I am very greatfull that I have never been seriously ill or had an opportunistic infection I still wonder about it. To me it's like cutting your finger while preparing dinner. You look at it and decide that you might need a stitch or two. You go to the hospital for stitches and wake up 4 days later to find out they amputated your arm.

Questions:
1) Am I correct in thinking that a fewer percentage of us get tested and find out our CD4's are very low (say less than 50) without being very sick prior to testing? It seems to me that 95% of the people here either get tested regularly and have high CD4's or have had either long illnesses or serious (hospitalization) illness with very low CD4's when they first test positive. To me it seems that most people with less than 180 CD4's have at least 1 if not more hospitalizations.
2) If #1 is correct: in the long run do we tend to get fewer or less serious O.I's
3) Once on meds do our CD4's bounce back quicker or slower than those who were diagnosed when seriously ill once they get better?
4) Any ideas as to why some of us have very low CD4's but have not been seriously ill. I.e strong genes.

I know that it's a pretty general question as each individual is different but I was just curious as to everyones thoughts on this.
Apr 09  CD4 21, CD4/CD8 ratio 0 VL 500,000+
July 09 CD4 158, CD4/CD812% VL 750
Oct 09 CD4 157 CD4/CD8 14% VL UD
Feb 10 CD4 197, CD4/CD8 11% VL UD
May 10  CD4 252 CD4/CD8 12% VL UD
Aug 10 CD4 211 VL UD
Nov 10 CD4 272 CD4/CD8 0.138 VL UD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.