POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 09:41:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 646924
  • Total Topics: 49282
  • Online Today: 220
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 110
Total: 114

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Surgery  (Read 1886 times)

Offline NycJoe

Surgery
« on: September 20, 2009, 07:34:58 PM »
I had diverticulitis in August in which a CT scan found a tumor on my kidney which after having 2 opinions decided it's best to have it removed.  A am getting a partial nephrectomy (removal of about half of my left kidney) on Thursday at Sloan Kettering.  I know it is a good hospital and my numbers are good but I am still worried about the recovery time as I am a full time student.  Does having HIV slow recovery time in general?  I hadn't thought of that until now.  They were going to do it laparascopically but now they think because the tumor is so deep into kidney that might have to do an open which I dread.  Oh well, I say bring on the drugs! 

Hopefully, unlike the last hospital I was at (Northshore LIJ), I won't hear the group of Dr's in the hallway going on about their "Hi Five" patient in room 202.  I hate that term!  Hope everyone is doing well.

Joe

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
Re: Surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 07:51:45 PM »

Sorry to hear about the Diverticulitus, but wishing you the best this coming Thursday. I never had any problem with healing after surgery.  I had hernia surgery in 2002, which healed very quickly.  I am sure my numbers at that time were probably pretty bad.

As far as the doctors out in the hallway, going on about their "hi five patient'  quite unprofessional of them to discuss any patients condition, where others may be within ear range. That's a Hippa violation.

Wishing you the best this Thursday.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

Diagnosed positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of 8/25/14,  t-cells are at 402, Viral load <40

Current % is at 11%

62 years young.

Offline Puckslinger

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 08:07:03 PM »
Hey there,

Sorry to hear about your surgery. For what it's worth: I had an appendectomy in 1994--two years after I tested positive--and I had an easy and uncomplicated recovery.

Good luck!  :)

Offline AboutToStart

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 09:30:11 PM »
I had a major surgery 6 months ago just before starting meds.. My ID doctor said procedure and recovery should be normal as every other person since my numbers were ok (CD4 of 300), not too great but definately enough to fight any potential inflamation, and he was right: my recovery was quick, smooth and normal (less than 2 weeks), after which I started taking Atripla.

Good luck!!

Offline shreveman

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 10:16:16 PM »
Hi Joe:

I've had surgery and some invasive procedures that involved cutting since I've been positive. Also, I know other positive guys who have had surgery, like hernia repair, etc. Unless your overall state of health is poor or you have a disorder that can interfere with healing (like Diabetes), I expect you'll heal just fine. If there is anything about this tumor after surgery and you need someone to talk with, feel free to send me a PM. Good luck and I'll be thinking about you while you undergo this. Take care. Roy

Offline NycJoe

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 06:46:32 AM »
Thank you to everyone for your support and advice.  I think I stressed myself into a little sore throat.  No fever or anything just a sore throat so I am hoping that does not postpone my surgery because that would be devestating.  So in the mean time I am just resting hope and drinking lots of fluids. Hope everyone is having a good Monday.

Joe

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 07:58:14 AM »

My wife had sinus surgery (ouch!) and she didn't have any issues during the healing process.  Sadly I must report the surgery did not solve her snoring issue...... :-\  I've had divirticulitus myself and I know them flare ups can be gruesome, atleast from the pain and nausea I use to go through it was...

Looks like yours may have saved your life!  Good luck with the surgery...  
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 08:53:06 AM »
Hi Joe,

I agree with the others that as long as your numbers are fairly decent, you should have no problem with recovery and healing time. I had misplaced breast tissue and a few lymph nodes removed from my left armpit in 2005 and the nurse who did the follow-up care said I healed very quickly - quicker than most hiv negative patients she had with similar surgery wounds.

If you're interested, my numbers two months before surgery were 732, 28%. We did a CD4 count the day after surgery (out of curiosity) and it was 320, 25%. One month later at my regular draw, they'd gone back up to 786, 28%. I wasn't on meds at the time. I'm still not on meds.

Good luck with your op. Keep us posted.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 09:30:39 AM »
Hi Joe,

I just wanted to wish you good luck with your surgery.

AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline webontheweb

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 05:07:43 PM »
first off, good luck with surgery.
I have had two major surgeries this year, onew on my knee and I just had shoulder surgery last thursday.  Doctor was well aware of my status- I tell ALL of my medical privders- both went well, with good expected outcomes.  My cd4 BTW hovers at 235- after two years of Atripla.  I am undetectable.
None of my docs were overy concerned with my cd4 as I have not had a cold since last April when that hacking flemmy cold of death went through town.
As a matter of fact, I have had 4 major surgeries since becoming HIV +.
Do what the docs tell you to do.  If they are informed, they will help you make the right choices.
cheers

Offline NycJoe

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 06:15:21 PM »
Wow I feel a lot better guys thanks.  Now I just have to get rid of this cold for the most part by Thursday.  I'm doing everything I can to keep diverticulitis from coming back by eating a lot of fiber, drinking lots of water etc.  Now its focus on cold then Thursday focus on surgery and recovery.  Thank god Sloan Kettering has wireless!  I'll be stuck there for about 4 days.  Thanks again for all the feedback it is much appreciated.  In the meantime I have to work tomorrow and have 3 exams Wednesday.  Nothing like stress!

Joe

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 06:50:22 AM »
Hi Joe, good luck with your exams! Do your best to get enough sleep - sleep is nature's best healer. You might also try taking some extra vitamin C to knock that cold on its ass. I use vitamin C for that, who knows if it really works or not, but at least I feel like I'm doing something. ;D

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline NycJoe

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 02:26:22 PM »
Ann, I am with you.  I pop vitamin C like it's candy.  I'm not really sure if it's doing anything but it makes me feel better taking it anyway.

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 07:03:12 AM »
I had surgery for 3 hernias in february. This was supposed to be an outpatient operation but I had to be in the hospital 3 nights due to pain, and a few weeks on heavy pain killers. But after that, the recovery went fine, and I was back at work about 1 month after the date of the operation as planned. The pain gradually went away and now I can lift heavy things just fine. I don't think the HIV played any factor.

FYI, there is a study from doctor Michael Horberg about HIV patients and surgery : http://www.thebody.com/content/art39328.html . He was my physician until about 2002, at which time he went into research and kicked out all his HIV-negative patients to another doc.

Offline NycJoe

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 09:30:11 PM »
Madbrain thanks for the link.  I just wanted to give an update.  I am still in the hospital.  The surgery went very well but since then not so well.  I either got flu or a lung infection.  Been fighting fever for days.  So been using my incentive spirometer and walking as much as I can and taking some percocet for the pain.  My fever has not broken 101 since last night (highest was 102.5) so still still trying my best to keep it down.  Right now at 100 so I guess I shouldn't complain.  It has been very worrisome but I must say Sloan Kettering has the best patient care I have ever experienced.  I will update once I am getting out of hospital.  Thanks guys!
'
Joe

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 07:51:18 AM »
Hi Joe, good to hear from you and thanks for the update.

I hope the chest thing continues to improve so they do let you out tomorrow. (or would that be today? Darn time-zones! :D ) Glad the op went well.

Take care, and here's to lowered fevers. Cheers!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.