POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 11:00:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 635287
  • Total Topics: 48187
  • Online Today: 244
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ and AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Thailand incident  (Read 2434 times)

Offline exception101

Thailand incident
« on: September 17, 2009, 08:20:42 PM »
Hello everyone,

For the last 5 years of my life I have put myself through hell. A day does not go by when I do not think about this event. My risk happened in Thailand at a strip club.  I was very nervous because I did not want to be at the strip club in the first place. It was very small and dirty and seemed shady to say the least. I was there with my friends so I played along.  A stripper came up to me and asked if I wanted a dance and I said no. She said fine but still took a seat next to me. She kept persisting until I finally had to yell at her to stop bothering me. She said fine, told me I am a fucking pussy, and then said you will be sorry you didn't get a dance. She didn't leave but stayed in the seat next to mine. She stopped bothering me so I didn't care. I had been given a glass bottle of beer when I noticed the stripper rubbing her fingers on the top of my bottle. I did not think much of it until I took a sip. She had rubbed blood on the area of the bottle where I had drank from. I know this because I tasted blood and ran to the bathroom to make sure, my lips had visible blood on them. Now at first I thought the blood was mine because my lips had been very very chapped and were bleeding no more than 2 minutes before the incident. I figured I was just seeing things so I went back in to tell my friends I wanted to leave. When I sat back down I saw the stripper there with a lancet in her hand.  She just smiled at me and said "I told you you would be sorry". At this point I freaked out and ran out of the club. I was in shock and could not believe what had just happened.

I have ready that HIV does not survive well in the environment but this was fresh blood and I had a fresh wound on my lips. I was thinking about doing PEP but was too scared to even go to the doctor. After the incident (about 2 weeks) I got very sick with flu like symptoms (fever, sore throat, etc). I also had painful lymph nodes in my neck, armpits, and groin area. About 4 to 5 months after the incident the painful lymph nodes came back. At first they were on and off, but after about a year, I started having pain in my nodes every day. I am still dealing with this pain as I sit here right now (5 years later). This is the reason I still think about this incident all the time. The lymph node pain does not go away and I am certain I am HIV+. Everyday I wake up with painful swollen lymph nodes and it is ruining my life. A few other symptoms I have is that for the last year I have jock itch on my groin and surrounding my anal area and it will not go away with medication. I also have fungal infections on my feet and white tongue all the time. I have also had stomach pain, stomach growling everyday, and diarrhea for the last 6 months. I am too scared to get tested or go to the doctor because I am sure I am infected.

The reason I am sending this message today is because recently I began seeing a girl for the first time in my life. I had been a virgin up until now because of fear of infecting someone else. I had also never had oral sex or done any drugs. About 2 weeks ago I had protected vaginal sex with the girl. We have also had unprotected oral sex about 10 times (I received and ejaculated in her mouth, she swallowed). I have read that oral sex is low risk but today she showed up at my house sick as a dog so I freaked out. Her lymph nodes were very swollen throughout her body and she has a very high fever, sore throat, muscle aches, and a white coated tongue. I am certain I have infected her and I cannot live with myself.

I understand I may seem dramatic or crazy but please honestly assess my risk. I am sick of living my life like this but in my mind I am 100% sure I am infected with HIV. I hate my life because all I think about is being HIV positive. My lymph nodes would not be painful for this long and if it was something else like cancer I would be dead by now. I am sorry for the long post but this has been bothering me for 5 long years. I appreciate your web site very much and am looking forward to your replies. Thank you very much.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 08:35:23 PM by exception101 »

Offline RapidRod

Re: Thailand incident
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 09:03:01 PM »
HIV is transmitted by:
Unprotected vaginal and anal sex
Sharing works with other IV drug abusers
Mother to child.

Offline exception101

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 09:30:20 PM »
Thank you for your reply. I just don't want to infect anyone else. My symptoms are driving me crazy. I don't fully understand how I could not be infected like this. It was fresh blood and I had a wound. In your opinion, or anyone else's who is willing to give feedback,  is it 100% safe for me without any doubt to have unprotected sex with my girlfriend which I adore if neither of us have had any previous risk except for the one I have provided here today? Thank you

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 09:52:12 PM »
You were never at risk of contracting HIV in the situation you've provided.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 08:25:32 AM »
Even IF the woman in your incident was HIV+ and even IF you had gotten some of the blood in your mouth, your saliva contains over a dozen elements and proteins which are very effective in preventing the transmission of viable HIV.

It's sad that you have been worrying needlessly for such a long time over a totally non-risky event.

Take a breath and get on with your life. And remember to always without exception use condoms when you have vaginal or anal intercourse.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline exception101

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 12:06:07 AM »
Thank you for your reply Andy. I understand the mouth is not an easy place for the virus to stay alive. My worry is the wound I had on my lips. Which had been bleeding due to chapped lips (I had a cigarette in my mouth and when I took it out it ripped my skin open and it started to bleed since it was so dry). I actually noticed the wound when I went into the bathroom. Would this still pose no risk? It just doesn't make sense to me that fresh blood getting into contact with my wound is absolutely no risk.
I think about this incident and how sick that stripper was for ruining my life every day. I am no longer the same person I used to be and I wish I could just be normal again. It is the symptoms I just can't shake. Going on for 5 years unexplained.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 06:24:40 AM »
exception,

Why don't you just go test, collect your negative result and get it over with? The woman was playing with your head. Hiv is not transmitted in the way you describe. She sure did what she said she would - you've been sorry for five years now. It's high time you stopped being a whimp and took your power back from her. Go test, prove her wrong, and get on with your life. Sadly, you'll never get back those five years of anxiety over nothing.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Someone_help

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 06:49:01 PM »
I am curious to know why you wouldn't get tested for over 5 years? Considering it's obviously been bothering you even though you didn't have a risk.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 06:52:31 PM »
Someone_help,
Do not post in any other threads other than your own. Take the time to read the posting guidelines of this forum.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 08:26:27 PM »
Excep, I strongly agree with Ann's suggestion that you get tested. I don't have any doubts about a negative result. You've just been lugging around this unnecessary concern for so long, I am not sure you will be able to let it go without having that negative test result in your hand.

Do it, get it over with and get on with your life.

Keep us posted.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.