POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 05:00:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 643512
  • Total Topics: 48964
  • Online Today: 174
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 108
Total: 109

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New to meds  (Read 1347 times)

Offline blackbeauty40

New to meds
« on: September 26, 2009, 05:54:10 PM »
Hi, I was diagnosed in 92 and now my numbers have declined almost enough to the point where my doctor is suggesting meds. I'm scared now and don't know what to do. I've never been on medication before and have heard so much about the side effects, but I'm not ready to leave this world yet. Can someone give me some insight? Thanks.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: New to meds
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 09:20:28 PM »
My insight is that when the numbers and the doctors tell you to take HAART, you should take it. What choice do you have. Its very bearable. Life seems pretty normal. Otherwise I'd be dead. How bearable would that be?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline confidentIwillbeOK

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 09:31:14 PM »
Going 15+ years w/o meds is awesome.  I guess the only thing to do now is get educated about the various meds out there and work with your doctor to come up with the best treatment plan for you.  Many people have minor or no side effects and live a totally normal life.  I am not on anything yet but will definitely not hesitate to start when the time comes....and who knows that could be at my next appointment and I only became positive a few months ago.   1992! You have definitely had some bonus time w/o meds and now they will give you a lot more bonus time on terra firma.   :)

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 09:43:23 PM »
Hello blackbeauty, if your numbers indicate that you should start treatment now then you should.  When it comes to HIV meds are like crap, they just happen (sooner or later, unless you are part of the tiny elite fortunate to control it on their own).

It is great that you are [somewhat of] a long term survivor without treatment.  The meds today have less adverse effects than what was endured by our peers just a few years back.  Even if you encounter some side effects some of them are short lived and/or your doctor would help you modify it to find the right course of treatment.  You said you want to continue living; this will be the right thing for you and those who care about you. 

If you have questions or need support once you start treatment we will be here for you.

m.

"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline WillyWump

• Fall is in the air!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 09:53:41 PM »
There's no guarantee you are going to get side effects and if you do they usually abate after a couple weeks. I'm on my second regimen and both gave me problems of one kind or another, but after about 10 days I was fine.
In my case the FEAR and ANXIETY of starting meds was worse than any side effects I encountered. Also, before I started meds I was run down and fatigued and had to nap a couple of times a day. Within a few weeks of starting I felt better than I had in years, and had more energy...no more naps for me. So please don't be afraid, chances are you will feel better on meds.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Sweet_C

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 08:51:06 AM »
I had almost no side effects at all.  I have been on my regimen for a year now, and the only thing I experienced was two instances of nausea that lasted only about an hour each time.  Also, if you have really bad side effects on one set of drugs, they can usually find something you can tolerate.
Tested positive on September 11, 2008

Offline ruralguy

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 09:21:58 AM »
I was all worried about side effects too.  I can tell you that I've been on Atripla for a day short of 2 weeks now and the side effects have all but disappeared.  At the beginning, for 3-4 days, I didn't sleep well and woke up feeling like I had a bad hangover but that is all gone.  No bad dreams (a few fun ones).  No rash.  A bit gassy for a few days but that is gone too.

There are several combos, so if you do have a bad time with one, you can switch to another.  And being non-detectable will be a relief for me, give me some confidence back - I certainly don't want to tramsmit it to anyone else and meds push that probability way down, by 90%+. 

Your important choices will be to opt for 1x or 2x a day pill taking, the number of pills involved, morning or evening pill time.  You must pick a regime that fits your routine so easily that you will never skip it for any reason.  You can also opt for newer drugs with lower/no immediate side effects but lacking data about longer term side effects.   These are not the sort of choices you had in 1992.

The drugs seem to be always changing.  My guess is that whatever you take now will not be what you take in 5 years.  My experience is limited but I can tell you that my worries were overblown and if it is time to start you should move ahead with it, knowing that after a short period you'll return to being pretty much normal.  At least that is the experience I can share to date.  The proof, of course, comes in my next blood tests, but that is a different topic from side effects.

If you have specific questions about how I decided or anything, PM me.  Dave
tested positive June 19, 2009
7/3/09 vrl 9000 cd4 - 300
8/14/09 cd4 - 350, 20%
started Atripla 9/14/09
10/5/09 vrl undetectable, WOW so fast!
12/28/09 vrl undetectable, CD4 - 615  27% cholesterol down, kidney function normal
4/26/10 vrl undetectable, CD4-600, kidney and liver numbers normal
9/9/10 vrl undetectable, CD4-685
1/3/11 vrl undetectable, CD4-700
all 2011 and Jan 2012 visits vrl undetectable CD4 ranged from 715-645
5/7/2012  vrl undetectable, CD4-615, all liver, kidney, lipids, heart functions, etc normal

On Atripla:  "Your mileage may vary"

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 09:52:41 AM »
Possible side effects or certain death.  It was an easy choice for me.
...................VL.....CD4.....%
-----------------------------------------
08/10-- ......<40.....290.....42
05/10-- ......<48.....290.....46
02/10-- ......<48.....481.....44
10/09-- ......<48.....277.....46
07/09-- ......<48.....300.....38
05/09-- ........51.....449.....39
03/09-- Added Isentress
02/09-- ........65.....299.....34
11/08-- ........62.....242.....40
08/08-- ........66.....212.....29
05/08-- ......202.....217.....27
03/08-- ....5210.....187.....21
02/08-- Began Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir
12/07-- 273,000.....157.....22
11/07-- 229,000.....209.....22
10/07-- Diagnosis

It's a complex world.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.