POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 07:21:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23066
  • Latest: MikeDH
Stats
  • Total Posts: 632197
  • Total Topics: 47871
  • Online Today: 227
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 150
Total: 156

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV and check-ups  (Read 1310 times)

Offline tokyodecadence

• A one room disco.
HIV and check-ups
« on: August 18, 2009, 01:01:51 AM »
I don't know if this has been discussed here, but I was just reading a thread a second ago, and it got me to wondering.

I've only been positive for a few years now, but I have every intention of being an LTS. Obviously that will require dedication and a few preemptive actions (regular labs, keeping up with the medicine regimen, nutrition, exercise, the usual). But I'm wondering, more specifically from the LTS community, what kinds of things do you think newly poz people should remain on top of checking regularly. Examples; Certain types of cancer screens, liver screens, kidney screens, cat scans, things like that. Are there certain types of diseases/disorders that occur from a long term regiment of medication that can be avoided with early detection? I'm sure that it's impossible to spend year after year scanning for everything imagineable, I'm speaking more about prevalent or common physical malfunctions for which to keep an eye out.

This is probably more of an experience based question, as well as something I can discuss with my doctor. Which I will do, when I see her again in September. :) I just figured I could get some feedback straight from the people who've been through it. Thanks so much!
[.Fodão.]

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Re: HIV and check-ups
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 03:26:08 PM »
I'm not a LTS, I am relatively new to HIV but I can tell you that one of the most preventable and treatable conditions that is found in higher numbers among those with HIV (especially MSM with HIV) is anal warts (HPV, condyloma) which of course can lead to higher instances of anal cancer if left untreated.

Regular screening for HPV is one of those things that someone with HIV should do since early diagnosis makes all the difference.

There are many different strains of HPV and it has recently been found that the vaccine against HPV which has been approved for women (Gardasil) also works for men. It works against certain strains so once it becomes more available for use on men it will most likely be recommended even for those who already have HPV since it's possible to still vaccinate against a specific strain that one might not have.

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 07:52:49 PM »
My advice would be to keep up with your lipid panels since high cholesterol / triglycerides can lead to a host of other ailments.  Preventive measures can be taken now such as lowering your sugar intake (sugar effects triglycerides), increasing your physical activity (which raises your HDL - good cholesterol), and watching what you eat (lower fat, increase fiber).

I also recommend having your eyes and teeth examined at least yearly since HIV can have an effect on those as well.  And, as far as the teeth go, there are blood vessels that go from the mouth to the heart.  So gum disease and other "nasties" could effect the ol' ticker.

This is actually a very interesting thread.  Thank you for posting it.

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline tokyodecadence

• A one room disco.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 02:50:31 AM »
Thank YOU all for responding! I'm actually listening closely to this thread, and plan on discussing things I read here with my doctor. Keep them coming!
[.Fodão.]

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 12:57:09 PM »
There is a document called:

Primary Care Guidelines for the Management of Persons Infected with Human Immunodeficiency
Virus: 2009 Update by the HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of America

It's available online and is long and sometimes technical because its audience is HIV doctors but the section called "Table 6" (scroll down about halfway or search by name) gives an overview of what HIV doctors should be checking for in their HIV patients. "Table 9" further down lists routine immunizations recommended for HIV patients.

minismom: There is section (not very long) called "Children"

LINK:

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/pdf/10.1086/605292?cookieSet=1

LINK TO OTHER IDSA HIV GUIDELINES:

http://www.idsociety.org/content.aspx?id=9202#mhiv
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 01:04:27 PM by Inchlingblue »

Offline Giblarry

• Desert AIDS Project - Ribbon Man - 2009 Walk logo
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 01:13:48 PM »
Hi Tokyo. 

It's a good idea to have your skin checked once every two years if you live in cloudy, dampish climate and every year if you live somewhere near the equator of the sun (as I do).  Sometimes people forget that the skin is an organ, albeit external.  In fact, it's the largest organ of the body.  I'd say be cautious with what you put on it as it's quite absorbent. 

Also, feet.  Healthy feets is important and neuropathy (and diabetes) can impact them negatively leading to a raft of problems.  Best thing in the world to keep them nice and free of problems is extra virgin olive oil and it doesn't take a lot, just a few drops about the size of a quarter in the palm of your hand.  Apply to the bottoms and around the sides of the heel - never between the toes.  Toes are too good an environment for bacteria.  You can be conservative and the feet plus the palms of your hands are the two of the most absorbent areas of our skins.  Pull on a pair of white socks, so you don't leave oily footprints, for about an hour.   

BTW, you can use a little olive oil on your face, too, and just about anywhere there is dryness on the body.  Take care around the eyes.  Olive oil can sting the soft tissue in them.  Remember just a few drops, otherwise you'll have a mess and cause everyone around you to crave salad.

Other than that, I'd say seek serenity.  It seems to be a commonality among LTS.  And, continually educate yourself. 

Gib

Offline Giblarry

• Desert AIDS Project - Ribbon Man - 2009 Walk logo
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 01:27:02 PM »
Oh, and exercize.  Doesn't have to be Buff Billy Workouts.  Good old walking, gardening and housework helps.  A half hour 3 times a week on a treadmill is better especially if you do a round of weight machines as well. 

Exercise is key to us all.  It keeps us limber, balanced, and works the internal organs, which is good for the. 

Gib

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 10:49:59 PM »
I'm also watching this thread since I was somewhat recently diagnosed and still learning.  Thanks for the sugar tip (I didn't know it affected triglycerides) and the olive oil tip!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.