Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:34:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 196
Total: 196

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: window period question  (Read 25969 times)

Offline xforge

window period question
« on: August 16, 2009, 07:28:54 pm »
hello I just wanted to know is it possible to test negative at 8 week and than turn POZ at 9,10,11 or 12 weeks and how often does that happen? thx

Offline RapidRod

Re: window period question
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 07:32:18 pm »
Possible yes reason for the 3 month testing window to obtain a conclusive result.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 08:20:23 pm »
Yes, it is possible. But if you test negative at 6 weeks or more it is highly unlikely that you will turn positive for a final test at 12-13 weeks.

Andy Velez

Offline xforge

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 08:29:18 pm »
how offten does that happen?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 08:40:53 pm »
How would we actually know how often it happens?

Offline xforge

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 09:01:04 pm »
i thought maybe people would have said in the (I just tested Poz) that they seroconverted in there 9th 10th 11th or 12th week ? or may be you guy would know people... thx for the fast answers guys I appreciate it

Offline xforge

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 09:56:50 am »
hey I was reading some post what do you guys mean when you say [all but the smallest number will seroconvert by 4-6 weeks] the state im in hotline says a test at 6 weeks is 99% is that true

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 10:06:47 am »
hey I was reading some post what do you guys mean when you say [all but the smallest number will seroconvert by 4-6 weeks] the state im in hotline says a test at 6 weeks is 99% is that true
Who wants 99%? 3 months is the guidelines to obtain a conclusive test result. There are no tests marketed or sold that will give a conclusive negative result earlier than 3 months.

US--http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/od/gap/pmtct/Trainer%20Manual/Adobe/Module_6TM.pdf
Page 11, Number 4..

UK--http://www.bhiva.org/files/file1031097.pdf
Post-test discussion for individuals who test HIV negative
"The need for a repeat HIV test if still within the window period after a specific exposure should be
discussed. Although fourth generation tests shorten the time from exposure to seroconversion a repeat test at three months is still recommended to definitively exclude HIV infection."

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 11:53:20 am »
x,

Why are you worrying about the hiv testing window period anyway? You could be worrying for no good reason. What makes you think you are at risk for hiv infection? What makes you think you need to test and worry about the window period?

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline xforge

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 03:53:30 pm »
I had sex protected but had a fresh small cut about 1/4 inch that the condom didnt cover and got vaginal fluids on it

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 04:09:55 pm »
That was not a risk. As long as the head of your penis was covered during intercourse then you were protected.

There is no need for testing over that incident.

Andy Velez

Offline xforge

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 04:14:59 pm »
How is HIV Transmitted?

HIV enters the body through open cuts, sores, or breaks in the skin;

I got this off this site.. so cuts are not a risk? and the area where the cut was testicles so the skins real thin there what do you guys think?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 04:19:33 pm by xforge »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 04:48:06 pm »
A gaping, just open cut could under some circumstances be theoretically risky. I have never known anyone to become sexually infected through a cut.

The vaginal fluids which could potentially carry HIV are up in the cervical area of the vagina. They would not be dripping down from there on to your testicles.

This was a non-risk incident. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline xforge

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 04:57:31 pm »
thank you for explaining that means allot  ;D

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 08:43:16 pm »
You're welcome.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline xforge

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 09:53:41 am »
I know I had a theroretical risk situation so is a test taken at 82 days considered conclusive? is that 3 months i know its 2 days shy of 12 weeks does that matter?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 12:21:43 pm »
Reread the replies that you have been given. At no time were you at risk of contracting HIV.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 02:50:15 pm »
It would still be a conclusive result at 82 days. You never needed to test so your negative result is no surprise here.

Get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline WORRIEDMAN345

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 07:12:37 am »
dear riend,
i had negative test at 83 days. but my result comes positive at 90 days. i dont think 12 weeks is not conclusive.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 07:19:20 am »
WORRIEDMAN345,

■Only those Moderators and members who are authorized to answer questions in the Am I Infected? forum are permitted do so. Unauthorized responses may be deleted without permission of the poster. Repeatedly posting replies of this nature may result in a Time Out or permanent ban, at the discretion of the Moderator Team.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 08:29:13 am »
Worried, I have already sent you a PM, but I want to repeat what Rod has told you. You are not authorized to be responding to comments in other people's threads.

You should only be writing in your own thread in AM I INFECTED and not in any other threads or sections of the Forums.
Andy Velez

Offline xforge

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 10:10:55 am »
What??? than should I test at 90 days what do you guys think? I thought most people would test earlier than that >:(

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 10:23:16 am »
Let's not get distracted by someone who wrote an unauthorized and incorrect response.

You never had a risk for HIV, you never needed to get tested. For you testing is just an indulgence to ease you anxiety.

Get on with your life. You're heading towards getting a time out for returning repeatedly over a non-risk incident.
Andy Velez

Offline xforge

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 10:38:13 am »
sorry that was kinda scary to hear do you think if I had a real risk would an 82 day test be enough? this will me my last question....

Offline xforge

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 10:10:34 am »
So would an 82 day test be enough for person who did have a actual risk?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 10:12:18 am by xforge »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 10:30:17 am »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 10:34:32 am »
You just keep ignorning being told that you didn't have a risk. Instead you insist on focusing on the issue as if you did have a risk -- which you didn't.

IF someone has a real risk, (which you didn't), then testing at 12-13 weeks is the suggested testing point.

And don't bother coming back to me about 82 days as compared to 12-13 weeks. We're at the end of the conversation here. If you come back with more of the same and "just one more question" you're going to get a 28 day Time Out. Consider yourself warned.

Cut the drama and get on with your life. HIV is not an issue for you.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2009, 10:59:36 am »
x,

I've just rejected TWO new account applications from you. If you'd bothered to read the Terms of Membership or posting guidlelines like you should have, you'd know that we only allow one account per person. To create new accounts is a bannable offence. Care to explain to me why I should not permanently ban you right now?

It doesn't matter how many different accounts you create, our answers are not going to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline xforge

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2010, 09:51:46 am »
Hi guys it me again it has been a while but I have a new situation Ive been dating a POZ guy for a couple months now and we always use condoms for sex my new concern is oral sex with him ejaculating in my mouth I have read some post about it where u guys say its no risk but I felt my situation was different because my partner is hiv positive this came to my attention when I was taking a oraquick rapid test and the lady explained mucus membranes in the gum line my partner did ejaculate in my mouth and it did get in my upper and lower gums the same places they swab for the test how much of a risk is this Im kinda scared?

Offline xforge

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2010, 09:52:56 am »
oh yeak he did kinda rub it in there

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2010, 10:11:26 am »
xforge,

The risk assessments that we give always assume the other person is hiv positive. So no, your situation is no different.

The swabs look for antibodies to hiv, not hiv itself.

Not only is saliva not infectious, but it also contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to infect. Also, hiv can only infect a very few, very specific types of cells. These types of cells are not found in abundance in the mouth.

There have been long-term studies of couples where one is positive and one is negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:12:57 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline xforge

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2010, 11:33:07 am »
sorry i dont want to missunderstand i wasnt worried about saliva i was concern about his infected semen comming into contact with the mucus membraines in my mouth is this a route for transmission?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2010, 04:06:51 pm »
Your saliva has over a dozen elements and proteins which create a very effective barrier against the transmission of viable HIV.

You are worrying needlessly.
Andy Velez

Offline xforge

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2010, 01:37:08 pm »
ok thx andy... so is preforming oral sex a zero risk activity?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2010, 01:46:44 pm »
The only thing that is zero risk sexually is masturbating yourself with your hand.

However having said that, longterm studies have been ongoing of sero-discordant gay and straight couples. They have had lots of mutual unprotected oral and only protected vaginal and anal intercourse. The results have been that not a single sero-negative partner has become infected.

Giving oral is a risk theoretically. But in the real world of HIV we know that sexual risk is about unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse.

Andy Velez

Offline xforge

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2010, 02:04:51 pm »
he felt so bad about this incident thats why we are tring to find out all we need to know to keep safe

Offline xforge

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2010, 02:19:41 pm »
ok this is what started me back here me and my partner are diabetic 1 day he used my pen lancet to test 2-3 min later I used it to test my blood sugar we didnt know umtill after was this a risk ..

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2010, 03:48:06 pm »
He didn't have a risk from poking himself on a lancent.

Offline xforge

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2010, 03:54:34 pm »
sorry all this is being typed from my phone ... what I was asking is he used the lancet before me so i used it right after he checked hid blood  am i at risk? is this a blood to blood risk

Offline xforge

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2010, 03:58:34 pm »
pls keep in mind my partner is + this was a bad mistake on our part

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2010, 04:08:41 pm »
No you didn't have a risk.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2010, 04:25:36 pm »
I agree with Rod that it wasn't a risk.

At the same time it seems to me that if you are so worried about protecting your status how about stopping and considering your actions a little more carefully. Why share a lancet if you have any doubts? Seems simple enough to just use separate ones. Just a suggestion.

Anyway, there's no need for concern about this latest incident.
Andy Velez

Offline xforge

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2010, 04:33:44 pm »
thx for the fast reply teak. why isnt that a risk if you could explan a little

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2010, 05:53:53 pm »
A lancet is not a hollowcore needle and it take more than just a pin prick to put someone at risk for HIV transmission.

Offline xforge

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2010, 02:29:26 pm »
hey can ars rash be in a small area like the left side of a persons nostril red and raised skin at 3 weeks?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2010, 03:06:07 pm »
   Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2010, 03:07:14 pm »
x,

Absolutely not. The rash sometimes experienced during ARS is not raised, does not itch, does not hurt. Unless you actually see it, you'd never know it was there.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline xforge

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2010, 04:00:24 pm »
does it make the skin dry flakey? and would it be as small ? like I said its on my left nostril
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 04:03:33 pm by xforge »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2010, 04:22:34 pm »
That has nothing to do with ARS and I don't see any serious reason to believe you are infected.

I am going to warn you that if you continue to return repeatedly like this you are going to find yourself getting a Time Out. Everything has been clearly explained to you about your situation.

We're not here to sit with you through each and every latest blip of anxiety. If that's a need of yours then I suggest you get some professional help to deal with it. We can't provide that for you in this setting.
Andy Velez

Offline xforge

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2010, 12:29:08 pm »
hey guy I have a question about something I read does combivir contain hiv or a synthetic version in it? is it made from the hiv virus?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.