POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 02:18:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 649847
  • Total Topics: 49598
  • Online Today: 161
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 137
Total: 140

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Skin Yeast Infections  (Read 4495 times)

Offline scottred

Skin Yeast Infections
« on: November 18, 2008, 06:06:24 PM »
Hi all. cool forum... I'm hoping somebody out there may have dealt with this before. First off, I'm healthy, poz for 11 years, undetectable, high t-cells... About 6 years ago I started having an irritated red rach on my anus and a bit on my penis... my doc said that because I was controlling it well with hydrocortizone that it wasn't an infection and to keep on using the over the counter cream. Later I found out it was a yeast infection. After dumping that doc, my new one says that the steroid cream has thin my skin and now I'll have this shit for ever... the best I can do is to control it some. Lets face it, now wants to to be around an irritated anus :( and it's really starting to rule my life. Does this ring a bell with anyone? Any ideas/suggestions. Show me an irritated anus and I'll show you an irritated person :-[

Offline northernguy

Re: Skin Yeast Infections
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 01:31:15 PM »
Ah yes, and you thought yeast infection were just for women!  I've had some of those in the groin area.  I've used a a prescription of lotriderm which is a betamethasone (steroid) and clotrimazole.  The trick is to use it sparingly and only until the yeast infection clears.
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 02:00:52 PM »
my anus hurts to - besides having internal hemorroids - the past two weeks my anus has been on fire - the doctor prescribed an anti fungal creme for me - but the creme manages to get inside my anus and thus gives me diarreha - dont you just love how we can have a place to discuss such issues ;)  oh and before i was diagnosed with Aids i kept getting jock itch and atheletes foot which the doctor said it was from the heat (i live in florida) and prescribed antifungal and it would come and go - now no more jock or foot itch just anus burn :(
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 02:04:39 PM by BUZZCUTT »
Buzz ♥

Offline weasel

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 07:24:03 PM »
when I was slowly progressing to AIDS  ( 18 ) years !

I WAS plagued with yeast infections , athletes foot .

white spots on my skin .

White fungus in the private area .

For years my doctor gave me every and any treatment in the book !

The worst  was " Nizoral " <sp> 

My Chief in charge thought I has a severe sun burn !
 My skin turned RED then flaked off , a skin peal like no other !

Well after I was diagnosed AIDS in 2004 , and started   HARRT
I have never had another outbreak of yeast infection or foot issues ,nothing .

Seems my immune system was telling me something , but I did not know  :'(

best of luck with yours !

Karl

P.S.  The cure for me was given orally  !
         It worked great  :) , I do not remember the name ,seems like it was oral " Nizoral " ?
" Live and let Live "

Offline richie

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 10:44:51 PM »
How timely.  I've had this same recurring issue.  And I just tried an over-the-counter cure, which seems to have worked (for now).  Women have yeast infections quite commonly, and there's over-the-counter cremes for them.  I bought one (miconazole nitrate).  Made specifically for yeast.  Seems to have done the trick after applications twice daily to the skin for 5 days.  Costs $8 bucks, might be worth a shot for you?

Offline positively_me

• love me...love my monkey
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 10:45:51 PM »
A good home remedy can be plain yogurt with active cultures. You can eat a cup of it each day to kill the yeast and also apply it directly on the affected skin area for immediate relief. I hope this helps & good luck to you!
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline scottred

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 08:57:11 AM »
I've certainly heard of yogurt, in general to help with yeast problems. Plus, it has a good effect on my overall digestion. but I've never thought about actually applying yogurt to the 'affected' area, which in this case would be my bum. sounds a little messy  :P, and a little cold  :o. But who knows, maybe i'll enjoy it ;)
I'll let you know how it goes... I'm assuming that I shouldn't use any of the chunky fruity kind... ;D
Later

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 12:47:32 PM »
i think i am gonna try the yogurt thing too lol
Buzz ♥

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 12:32:27 AM »
The yogurt sounds like it might be nice whether you have a yeast infection or not  :D   Since it seems like your infection is really persistent you might want to consider trying an oral anti-fungal.   one of the "azole"  ie fluconazole or itraconazole.  Sometimes they work better than the topical ones but everyone is different.

Good Luck,
AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline scottred

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 02:10:23 PM »
Thought I'd give an update. never got around to trying the yogurt thing... I don't know... I may be crazy, but I just don't think my big problem is yeast. I believe I had a yeast infection, but I think I got that because of general irritation caused by some kind of allergy that caused inflamation and then allowed the yeast to get in there. I think that I have some kind of sensitivity to something environmentally... or maybe the meds I'm on contact my hole when I shit and that keeps causing the irritation... having said all that, I know that there are some thing s that really help. One is to swim in pools that use the salt/chlorine filtration... why?   I don't fucking know. the other thing is that nystatin that comes with a little steroid in it clears it up in literally a couple of hours. So at this point, I'm not willing to do without my anus... he's too good of a friend LOL.
If I can controll it by using very small amounts of this creamthen that's what i'm going to do... the oher thing is that benadryl seems to help a lot too!!! I don't know anymore...

Offline freaky_dream

• mmm
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 02:46:09 PM »
If the corticosteroids and Benadryl  appear to alleviate your symptoms then it is more then likely auto immune in nature. You might want to see a Dermo-pathologist and get a skin biopsy so they can stain it and make a definitive diagnosis as to the true nature of your dermatitis. The only downside is that they will have to make a punch biopsy of your penis or anus and excise a tiny piece of your skin. Not sure if a dermotologist will do that but at least you will know for sure what it is.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 02:49:14 PM by freaky_dream »

Offline scottred

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 02:57:34 PM »
At this point, they can punch anything they want... Thanks for the post

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 03:30:12 PM »
I recommend you try an ointment called Calmoseptine. It's sold without a prescription, you can probably find it online. It was recommended to me by a very good doctor and I swear by it, highly recommend it for the kind of irritation you're describing.

I would stay away from anything with cortisone since it adversely affects immunity.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 03:32:30 PM by Inchlingblue »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 03:37:35 PM »
Scott,

If the Nystatin works, it probably IS yeast as Nystatin is a drug that combats yeast (aka thrush). A course of Fluconazole would clear it up and you wouldn't have to mess around with all this other stuff.

You might want to read the Candidiasis (thrush, yeast infection) Lesson and talk this over with your doctor. Don't suffer with yeast if you don't have to!

BTW, hydrocortizone, and antihistamines like Benadryl, only address the symptoms - in this case the itching. They don't actually take care of the yeast or whatever is causing  the symptom.

Ann

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 03:51:36 PM »
Scottred,

Maybe it's time to  get yourself to another dermatologist, for a second opinion. Perhaps it was not diagnosed correctly. Maybe it's fungal .  Have you tried Tinactin ? Anyway, just a thought...

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

Diagnosed positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of 8/25/14,  t-cells are at 402, Viral load <40

Current % is at 11%

63 years young.

Offline fearless

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 07:41:20 PM »
having said all that, I know that there are some thing s that really help. One is to swim in pools that use the salt/chlorine filtration... why?   

You've hit the nail on the head for a good cheap and harmless way to control. I've had similar problems on and off over the years - a swim in the ocean always helps. Steroids etc, apart from being expensive, never really seem to deal with the problem - cure the symptons but not the cause.

At home, I always keep a bag of sea salt crystals handy. If it flairs up, i make up a pretty strong batch of salty water and soak a small flannel in it to bathe my butthole or offending area. If it's your butthole, you can simply fold the flannel up and hold it between your cheeks for 10 minutes or so as you doze off to sleep.

Another little trick i occassionally use is to rub fresh garlic onto the affected area.

Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline scottred

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009, 08:25:07 AM »
Thought I'd give another update... I am cautiously  optomistic that I have this figured out. I say cautiously because I've felt like that before. I have three words... Sodium Lauryl Sulfate! I feel pretty stupid, because I've known what a messed up chemical this is and that it's in EVERYTHING, but in general, I haven't in the past been one who has had huge problems with it... Here's what I think has happened in my case. First, this all started back many years ago... I think I had a particularly horny weekend of masterbation and self abuse ;). During this time I think I caused some simple abrasion on my penis that spread to my butt-hole. It probably was some kind of yeast... who knows. but in trying to address it, I used cortizone and it did work, because at the core of it all, it was an irritation. Over the years of treating it like this I think I did in fact thin the skin in these two areas slightly... enough to cause them to be very sensitive to SLS... which would cause more irritation allowing for more infections, more trips to doctors, more bad diagnosis', more steroids, more thinning of the skin, more sensitivity, more irritation, more infection, etc.... well, the other day, I noticed a soap (a fucking soap of all things!) that had a big label on it in red that said, "No Sodium Lauryl Sulfate," and because it's hard to find things without it, I bought some. I liked the feel of it and tried it on my nether regions... that afternoon I noticed the skin on the areas that had been affected starting to dry up and almost scab over... I haven't seen this before... by the next day things really started to be heading in the right direction. I'm pissed that it has taken me so long to find some kind of an answer to this problem, but I really believe that the SLS is the culprit. As it happens I have an appointment with a derm doc tomorrow, so I'll keep it and see what he has to say, but I'm feeling pretty relieved, even if it did take 8 years to figure it out.
Please... if you are having skin inflamation issues, check to see if switching to a non SLS soap helps you. The kind I found is called Kirk's Original Coco Castile Soap. But if you can't find it, just get anything without any FUCKING SLS... Which is an industrial degreaser used in oil fields and garage floors!
Thanks for all the replies to my post... I hope to be able to do a final post in the near future confirming my thoughts on this, and I hope that it has helped or will help someone else in the future.
Thanks again... you all rock!

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 04:55:27 PM »
Sounds reasonable enough. Dermatology is really an art, and it seems difficult to find a dermatologist who can get at the root of obscure skin reations.  Skin is also the largest "organ" in the human, and shows the mental and physical state. 
If its not entirely gone, and you have good insurance, i would find a artful dermatologist and try to get to the bottom of it. Insist, politely.
If its really gone now, congratulations!!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline anewday

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 08:53:51 PM »
Hi folks,
I was diagnosed in April 09 and have been on meds for about 6 weeks now. (Sustiva, Viread, Epivir). I have an HBV co-infections.

I have a yeast infection on my penis (on top of the glands) which was under control topical ointments before the meds. Now, nothing seems to control it and it just keeps getting worse.

Any suggestions??

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 09:06:55 PM »
Hi folks,
I was diagnosed in April 09 and have been on meds for about 6 weeks now. (Sustiva, Viread, Epivir). I have an HBV co-infections.

I have a yeast infection on my penis (on top of the glands) which was under control topical ointments before the meds. Now, nothing seems to control it and it just keeps getting worse.

Any suggestions??

You should confirm this with a doctor but what you are describing sounds like balanitis and there are topical ointments that can be applied for this. Are the ointments you used over the counter or prescription?

There are ointments available with Rx that should work. If you are using these and they are not working then  you should go to the doctor.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.