POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 07:07:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650034
  • Total Topics: 49618
  • Online Today: 168
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIVer on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown  (Read 3522 times)

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot
HIVer on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
« on: August 10, 2009, 10:30:20 PM »
...Well, maybe I actually had it this morning at work.  Please let me just vent... After only two months of feeling strong and determined to deal with this I just couldn't keep up with the world... Oddly enough it wasn't the HIV that had me feeling like an '09 version of Carmen Maura's character... I have been feeling great in most regards... it was just an accumulation of secondary factors:

** An awful audit at work that's making my life more stressful than needed
** Permanently ending my relation with the "love of my life" last week (I just can't deal with the idea of a sero-discordant situation --or just any to be honest-- at the moment). He insists on "sticking" around.
** A tense and not very supportive situation (at least not being expressed properly) with a certain family member
** Not knowing where my numbers stand, since the phenotype test was still pending (and my ID doc said we need to "look at everything within context")
** Noticing a sudden ugly rash on my scalp covering almost my entire head (quite likely not related to the virus, I made the mistake of going to a different barber last week)
** Other minutiae not worth posting

Suddenly the floodgates opened and I was crying and crying in front of my good friend (and later on with my wife).  I had to leave work just so that everyone didn't see "Mr. Tough" in that condition.

I fell asleep once I got home around 2pm, and then the phone rang. It was my ID doc's assistant. Wanted to make an appointment for next week since my labs were finally ready.  I must have sounded like a pitiful mess over the phone as she immediately got the doctor on the line.  She tells me that she has only good news and that my numbers look excellent; she is "very proud."  Finally something good today.  And suddenly I start feeling less rubbishy.

I know that there are people with bigger issues out there.  People who have been fighting for years and act more strongly and well-balanced.  People who have faced the ugly side of the HIV spectrum.  All that I have to do is think of the three years that I spent with "E" when he was diagnosed with AIDS (I was only 18 back then), and then I am aware of the pettiness of my own BS.  I hope to learn to be more like them, more like him, 'cause today I realised that I am not as tough as what everyone around me believes me to be.

Again, please pardon the rant...

M.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 10:31:55 PM by livebythemoon »
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Re: HIVer on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 10:57:14 PM »
What you're experiencing is completely normal. The HIV thing is new so you're still not acclimated to it and you are under some stress (welcome to life, or like that 80s song, "welcome to your life, there's no turning back . . . ") so all the emotions are mixing and congealing and you had a good cry. Really no biggee.

What I'm intrigued about is the "love of my life" and "wife" references together. I assume they are not one and the same. No need to explain. It's rhetorical on my part ;)

Honestly, though, as I read your post, you sound totally fine, just having a Carmen Maura moment. Make some gazpacho.

Offline Joe K

• Global Moderator
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 11:12:20 PM »
Why do you insist on comparing your issues with those of others?  The idea of support is for us to help you, with whatever issues you may share, not to compare your abilities with anyone else.  Each of us has strengths and weaknesses and what may be a emergency to you, may be nothing more than an annoyance to me.  Does that mean I am stronger than you?  No, just different.  So when you feel that need to rant, this is the place to do it, because we all rant about something and it is good to get it out of your system.

Rather than viewing your issues as minutiae, you should stop judging yourself for your perceived weaknesses as that will get you nowhere.  Right now you sound a little overwhelmed and might I suggest you try and ignore the smaller issues, while you address the ones that are most pressing.  I also find it very helpful, when I get anxious, to ask the question: "What is the worse that can happen?"  Once I can process that answer, I can generally see things much clearer.  What matters here is you find something that works for you and if that includes ranting here, well that is what we are here for.

Offline Texan38

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 11:16:17 PM »
Life can be overwhelming sometimes.  I think it's great you broke down and cried.....everyone needs to let out frustrations every now and then.  Try not to hold so much emotion inside you.  It's ok to be yourself and feel your emotions.  Being "strong" everyday, is a lot of work in itself....and it's also bad for your complexion.  :D

Keep posting, vent....it's good for you.

Hope you're feeling better.  :-*
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline nycpoz

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 11:46:59 PM »
Life can be overwhelming sometimes.  I think it's great you broke down and cried.....everyone needs to let y not to hold so much emotion inside you.  

I agree, crying and letting out your emotions helps. It's a very tough bug to deal with, and no matter how hard you try and how much time has passed by, it is always there in your mind. But on the other hand I try to convince myself that nothing else can go wrong in my life now. I got my share (or probably more) of troubles for lifetime, and everything else will be ok.
I am sure you will be fine and will come out of it even more strong and happy :)...

ps:  I got little confused too about 'love of my life and wife' part in your msg :D

best regards,
H

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 01:19:48 AM »
I read an old post of yours and you said you went on meds without getting a resistance test done? It sounds, based on the call you got from your doctor that it's all good, but isn't it a bit unorthodox (to say the least) for a doctor to put someone poz on meds without knowing if there might be resistance?

So your first viral load and tcell count was done after starting meds?

Hope you're feeling better. ;)

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 06:08:51 AM »
I read an old post of yours and you said you went on meds without getting a resistance test done? It sounds, based on the call you got from your doctor that it's all good, but isn't it a bit unorthodox (to say the least) for a doctor to put someone poz on meds without knowing if there might be resistance?

So your first viral load and tcell count was done after starting meds?

Hope you're feeling better. ;)

Before people who are not on meds start freaking out, it is not unorthodox for a doctor to start meds without a resistance test. That's standard procedure. In fact, wouldn't someone have to start meds first, and then order a resistance test, based on follow up lab work results? 

It is odd that a person would get their first viral load and tcell count after starting meds.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 06:28:18 AM »

I agree with Joe.  Your story and the way you handle it is your own.  Coming here to vent holds no standard or rules, what affects others may not bother you and what others deal with could never lessen the feelings you're going through.  Just rest assured that we have all went through a range of emotions during our experience much like yourself.

When you said that the nurse got the doctor on the phone when she noticed you were bad off, I wondered if ya got Baker Acted like I did (held for 72 hr observation).   Looks like you're stronger than I was, but I won't let it bother me. ;)
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 07:00:51 AM »

Before people who are not on meds start freaking out, it is not unorthodox for a doctor to start meds without a resistance test. That's standard procedure. In fact, wouldn't someone have to start meds first, and then order a resistance test, based on follow up lab work results? 

No, now days it's standard procedure to check for any pre-existing resistances BEFORE prescribing meds. This is because of the rise in people being infected with a resistant virus. It's better than waiting for ages to see if the person goes undetectable, and then finally testing for resistance when they're still detectable months down the line. Saves having been on a worthless cocktail and potentially causing more resistance than the person started out with.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 07:18:13 AM »
No, now days it's standard procedure to check for any pre-existing resistances BEFORE prescribing meds. This is because of the rise in people being infected with a resistant virus. It's better than waiting for ages to see if the person goes undetectable, and then finally testing for resistance when they're still detectable months down the line. Saves having been on a worthless cocktail and potentially causing more resistance than the person started out with.

Ann

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's standard procedure here in the states. Maybe you know something I don't.  I've switched meds four or five times over the years, without ever being tested for resistance. Don't forget, we don't have universal healthcare and are denied access to tests all the time. I see my ID doc next week and will ask him what is standard procedure for the poor and unwashed. I'm pretty sure I'm right. I just don't want people assuming they will be tested for resistant strains of the virus, when they are not.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 07:23:37 AM by Dachshund »

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 07:27:37 AM »
As I get ready to go to work...  Thank you everyone for reading this and taking a moment to write a few lines...  

Honestly, though, as I read your post, you sound totally fine, just having a Carmen Maura moment. Make some gazpacho.
That's precisely what I did  ;D, even though I made a big mess.  That, and watch 'Volver' for the 96th time.

Why do you insist on comparing your issues with those of others?  
You are so right, Joe.  A big flaw of mine; always do that regardless of the situation.  It's like I feel as if I owe something to everyone around me (especially now with the HIV thing).   Thank you for the support and for taking time to read and reply.  If it weren't for what I find here daily I would probably be in bad emo-shape.

Being "strong" everyday, is a lot of work in itself....and it's also bad for your complexion.  :D
LOL, ah heck no, then I won't mess with that.  Weakness, here I come :)

ps:  I got little confused too about 'love of my life and wife' part in your msg :D

Sorry if I threw anyone off with those two comments (wife and LofML).  But just to make it a quick summary: man loves woman; woman loves man; they get married (with her knowledge that he has known and loved other men before).  In the process man falls for another man, who also happens to be married.  It remains virtually platonic, but then down the road mistakes are made.   Man and woman stay and will stay together for life.  I will elaborate at some point, but not gonna bore you (all that we have have is time, right? :) )

It is odd that a person would get their first viral load and tcell count after starting meds.

I probably didn't make it too clear (plus I have never really taken the time to "officially" introduce myself)... my first VL was taken as I was going through the acute infection (it was 1.4 million or so), my first CD4 count was somewhere near 450 at that point.  I was/am very naive and ignorant (and freaking out) so I started the meds before the resistance test was done.  Yeah, probably unorthodox, but I wanted to try anything to keep what I viewed as some weird passenger from taking control of my body.

When you said that the nurse got the doctor on the phone when she noticed you were bad off, I wondered if ya got Baker Acted like I did (held for 72 hr observation).   Looks like you're stronger than I was, but I won't let it bother me. ;)

LOL, I shoul have been, Skeebo.  You have in these two months seemed quite strong to me.  Thanks for the words.

Gotta run to work 'cause me boss is coming to spend the whole day with me...   Again, thank you all.  Big Hug to everyone.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 07:38:51 AM »

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's standard procedure here in the states.

Well, in the civilised country I live in, it is standard procedure. I've been resistance tested twice now myself, still not on meds. Oh, and it doesn't matter over here if you wash or not, but the doctors and nurses tend to be nicer to you if you do.

At the end of the day, different doctors do things differently. Resistance testing is something all pozzies should be quizzing their doctor about to find out where they stand.

LOL, I shoul have been, Skeebo.  You have in these two months seemed quite strong to me.  Thanks for the words.

Moon, you'd be amazed at how far Skeebo has come since he first joined this site ... back in 2005 or so, was it? He is quite strong now. And you will be too. Give it time.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 08:02:15 AM »
I'm well aware resistance testing is recommended, but I'm just not sure it is still standard practice. I'm definitely going to ask my doc about it. Of course if anyone is unsure, they definitely should ask theirs. I was and that's why I know I've never been phenotyped or genotyped, just stereotyped.

Vive le resistance!

edited to add an "oh I forgot to say"

When I speak of the "great unwashed" I don't mean it in the literal, people who don't bathe way, but it the more prolitarian, poor, working class way.

However, I must give credit to the very civilised Victorian playwright and novelist, Edward Bulwer-Lytton for coining the phrase. He's also responsible for it was a dark and stormy night.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 08:38:23 AM by Dachshund »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 05:05:19 PM »

Moon, you'd be amazed at how far Skeebo has come since he first joined this site ... back in 2005 or so, was it? He is quite strong now. And you will be too. Give it time.

Ann

Awww thanks Ann...  It was October of 2005 and I was know as Sadtom in these here parts!  Been one hell of a journey indeed. 
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 06:15:55 PM »

When I speak of the "great unwashed" I don't mean it in the literal, people who don't bathe way, but it the more prolitarian, poor, working class way.

However, I must give credit to the very civilised Victorian playwright and novelist, Edward Bulwer-Lytton for coining the phrase. He's also responsible for it was a dark and stormy night.

Hehehe... I knew what you meant, just couldn't pass up the opportunity to make a dumb joke. Didn't know who coined the phrase though, so thanks for the enlightenment. I love bits of trivia like that. Yep, sad, I know. ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 09:55:52 PM »

It was October of 2005 and I was know as Sadtom in these here parts!  Been one hell of a journey indeed. 

Thomas, I just looked at some of your older posts.  Glad to see the stronger (and from I can gather happier) you that we have now.  Your sense of humour is one of the things that I like to encounter/look forward to seeing on these forums, man.  People like you inspire me.

M.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 10:35:42 PM »
LivebytheMoon, I just read your post and I'm sorry to hear about the recent turn of events. I hope you're feeling just a little bit better today.  I think it's great you felt comfortable enough to come here to "vent" (I myself was here venting last week).  It's also great to see the support system that is here on this site.  BTW, I loved the Almodovar film references but you saw Volver while feeling down?  That film makes me cry every time and I'm totally not the crying type (ok, I'm lying  ;)).

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2009, 07:49:38 AM »

Thomas, I just looked at some of your older posts.  Glad to see the stronger (and from I can gather happier) you that we have now.  Your sense of humour is one of the things that I like to encounter/look forward to seeing on these forums, man.  People like you inspire me.

M.

And you should have seen his posts from before we got this new forum software! Unfortunately, the old forums are no longer available online. Pity, really, but it was an unavoidable financial consideration.

One day you'll look back on these early days of your diagnosis and realise how far you've come too. You'll get there.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline David_CA

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2009, 01:28:52 PM »
I could be wrong, but I don't think it's standard procedure here in the states. Maybe you know something I don't.  I've switched meds four or five times over the years, without ever being tested for resistance. Don't forget, we don't have universal healthcare and are denied access to tests all the time. I see my ID doc next week and will ask him what is standard procedure for the poor and unwashed. I'm pretty sure I'm right. I just don't want people assuming they will be tested for resistant strains of the virus, when they are not.
It seems to be standard based on hubby's and my experiences... plus those of several newly diagnosed friends quite recently.  I had (have) insurance through work, and hubby had Ryan White, so it doesn't appear to be due to insurance.  I don't know if resistance testing is standard in all the states, but it seems to be in NC at least.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 01:32:32 PM by David_NC »
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline chguy78

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 01:39:30 PM »
It seems to be standard based on hubby's and my experiences... plus those of several newly diagnosed friends quite recently.  I had (have) insurance through work, and hubby had Ryan White, so it doesn't appear to be due to insurance.  I don't know if resistance testing is standard in all the states, but it seems to be in NC at least.

I was recently diagnosed and my doctor wanted the resistance test (in NC, too) before treatment was planned.  Good thing, too, because I have a sustiva-resistant strain.
01/11: CD4=753 (36%), VL=Undetectable
07/10: CD4=531 (33%), VL=Undetectable
04/10: CD4=746 (33%), VL=Undetectable
01/10: CD4=566 (35%), VL=Undetectable
10/09: CD4=436 (31%), VL=405
07/09: CD4=631 (27%), VL=847
06/09: Started: Truvada, Reyataz, Norvir
05/09: CD4=426 (28%), VL=38,300
04/09: Positive; CD4=466 (28%), VL=39,700
10/08: Negative

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 01:59:13 PM »
I was recently diagnosed and my doctor wanted the resistance test (in NC, too) before treatment was planned.  Good thing, too, because I have a sustiva-resistant strain.

It seems to have worked out OK for the OP but if he had had a sustiva-resistant strain, as chguy78 did, and was put on Atripla without doing the resistance test, that not only would not have worked at suppressing virus, but it could also have led to resistance to many of the drugs in the NRTI class, since his only active drug would have been Truvada which is not enough.

Starting meds without a resistance test is taking a risk that you might unnecessarily end up narrowing your options for treatment.  

I've switched meds four or five times over the years, without ever being tested for resistance.  

Switching meds is different since most times the viral load is not high enough to do a resistance test. In those situations it helps to have a doctor who really knows what they're doing as far as figuring out, based on past meds taken, what should work.

When switching meds if the viral load has risen to a point that a resistance test is possible, I think most doctors would do one. Current standard resistance tests usually require 500 or above viral load, but the tests are becoming more sensitive so that could change in the near future.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 02:59:31 PM by Inchlingblue »

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 09:14:31 PM »
LivebytheMoon, I just read your post and I'm sorry to hear about the recent turn of events. I hope you're feeling just a little bit better today.  I think it's great you felt comfortable enough to come here to "vent" (I myself was here venting last week).  It's also great to see the support system that is here on this site.  BTW, I loved the Almodovar film references but you saw Volver while feeling down?  That film makes me cry every time and I'm totally not the crying type (ok, I'm lying  ;)).

Thanks GNYC... and I agree with you... 'Volver' it is not a feel good kinda flick, especially the sub-plot surrounding Agustina (but very time that I see it it takes me back to La Mancha).  I guess I like to watch sad stuff (and listen to bluesy type of music) when I'm in "a mood."  I guess I'll watch 'Kika' the next time that I hit one of these valleys.

One day you'll look back on these early days of your diagnosis and realise how far you've come too. You'll get there.

Thank you Ann; you are my angel from the Rock.  I truly believe you on what you said there.  Today was a much better day.  The "extra-curricular" stuff that's been bothering me is still there, but I plan on keeping my head up.

It seems to have worked out OK for the OP but if he had had a sustiva-resistant strain, as chguy78 did, and was put on Atripla without doing the resistance test, that not only would not have worked at suppressing virus, but it could also have led to resistance to many of the drugs in the NRTI class, since his only active drug would have been Truvada which is not enough.

Starting meds without a resistance test is taking a risk that you might unnecessarily end up narrowing your options for treatment.  

You are quite right Inchling.  Thank God things went the right way.  I was kinda stressing about the possibilities.  Can't wait to get my numbers next week (have to wait till then due to work schedule issues); I will post in case anyone's interested.  

M.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2009, 07:04:19 AM »

Can't wait to get my numbers next week (have to wait till then due to work schedule issues); I will post in case anyone's interested. 

Well duh, of course we're nosey interested! ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2009, 07:36:29 AM »

Switching meds is different since most times the viral load is not high enough to do a resistance test. In those situations it helps to have a doctor who really knows what they're doing as far as figuring out, based on past meds taken, what should work.

When switching meds if the viral load has risen to a point that a resistance test is possible, I think most doctors would do one. Current standard resistance tests usually require 500 or above viral load, but the tests are becoming more sensitive so that could change in the near future.
[/quote]

I hope I'm wrong and a resistance test has become standard procedure. I see my doc next week and will ask him. He's one of the leading doctors in the field and I have been under his care for over ten years. I know it's anecdotal, but there was a blip in my VL prior to a med switch. This was about four years ago, so maybe things have changed. I went from undetectable to a VL of 1150 in three months. I wanted a resistance test and he said there could be other reasons for the blip and we would wait for futher blood test results. Next test I returned to undetectable and have been ever since. I'll be interested in hearing what he has to say.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 11:32:07 AM »
Regarding resistance tests there is a question today on thebody.com in which, as part of the response, the doctor says:

I'm not particularly aware of the Brazilian treatment guidelines, but here in the US, resistance testing is recommended for all treatment naive persons.

They also mention that about 10% of people have non-nuke (i.e. efavirenz/sustiva and nevirapine) resistance.

LINK:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Meds/Current/Q203390.html
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 11:38:52 AM by Inchlingblue »

Offline a2z

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 11:38:03 AM »
I'm well aware resistance testing is recommended, but I'm just not sure it is still standard practice.

My doctor did resistance testing (but not genotype (?) testing [CCR5/CRCX4]) before prescribing me meds and I have health insurance and am in the United States. 
Dates are blood draw dates:
9/4/14: CD4 948, 37.9%, VL 150
5/23/14: CD4 895 --.-% VL UD - Truvada/Isentress
09/21/09: CD4 898 27.0% VL 120 - back on track, same meds.High level enzymes, but less so
06/15/09: CD4 478 21.8% VL 1150 - high liver enzymes... looks like I may not be resistant
05/22/09: Fixed insurance, resumed medicine
04/17/09: Ran out of medicine, could not resolve insurance problems
04/01/09: CD4 773 28% VL 120 - high liver enzymes
12/01/08: CD4 514 23% VL 630
10/17/08 started Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada. -- possibly minor neuropathy, but otherwise okay.
9/10/08: CD4 345 17%, VL > 78K
8/18/08: CD4 312 18%, VL > 60K (considering meds)
12/19/07: CD4 550 28% VL > 100K (no meds yet)
Diagnosed 10/23/07

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.