POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 07:54:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 640736
  • Total Topics: 48671
  • Online Today: 247
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Need advice - HPV surgery : /  (Read 6070 times)

Offline GNYC09

Need advice - HPV surgery : /
« on: August 14, 2009, 11:36:49 PM »
ugh, this coming week I will be having HPV surgery (gasp...nasty internal and external anal warts).  It sounds like I will be getting full body anesthesia so I guess it's a major case.  I've taken off two work days+will have the weekend to recuperate.  My question is: do you think it would be safe for me to go back to the gym after this four day recuperation period? And are pain killers prescribed for after the surgery?

I'm definitely not looking forward to this.  This HPV surgery + my frequent diarrhea = a recipe for disaster  :-\
In the meantime, I've purchased a sitz bath and stocked up on old movies.

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
Re: Need advice - HPV surgery : /
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 12:16:05 AM »
Hi,

I had the external warts removed on Friday May 8th of this year. I did not have internal condyloma,only external. I had several clusters close to the anus.

I was able to return to work on Monday, but a lot depends on the kind of job you have.  Mine is a desk job, so after getting comfortable on my cushion, it wasn't too bad.

I don't go to the gym, but I can tell you , that four days after my surgery, there is no way, that I would want to work out, even if I wanted to.  So you may want to think about that.

I was given a choice to just be numbed from the waist down or go for the full anesthesia. I chose the second, I wanted to be out completely.

Your going to have a lot of gauze padding after this surgery.  You won't be able to shower the first day or two. The gauze they place on you in the hospital should remain in place for at least two days before it is changed. They will give you specific instructions as to what to do. So stock up on some, and make sure you have some boxer shorts. You wont be comfortable in briefs.

Overall, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it wasn't a walk in the park either. And I didn't have internal condyloma.There was only  slight bleeding, for probably 3 days after the surgery.  Get yourself some of those moist wipes from the drugstore.  There a lot easier to use than toilet paper. The first bowel movement will hurt. Watch what you eat that first week.

I wrote about my surgery here ; Starting at reply #26

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=26683.0

I went into the hospital outpatient at around 6:30 in the morning, and walked out a little after noon. I was in recovery for about an hour until all my vital signs showed normal, and I was able to take a pee. ( which wasn't a problem to do.)  I was pretty thirsty after I came out of anesthesia.  They gave me oxycontin for the pain, but I didn't need to take any for a couple days.  I think after the third day I took one. ( still have some left).

I had a follow up appt. with the doctor one week after surgery. I was in and out of his office, in just a few minutes. He looked said, everything was fine, and I went on my way.

Just make sure to follow any post-op instructions.

Good luck------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 12.5mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started my first  HAART regimen  on October 24th,03.

As of 8/2514,  t-cells are at 402, Viral load <40

Current % is at 11%

62 years young.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 12:40:31 AM »
I had that done in the 90s, internal.
About the gym - go back when you feel ready, what's the rush.
About the pain - well, if you are experienced as a bottom (oh, if you are gay, as well) then you probably are in touch with your butt and can deal with the ache that stays a week or two.
Prepare yourself, otherwise, for the most painful 2 minutes, especially your first BM after the surgery. Mine was about 2 or 3 days after surgery. Unbelievable pain that I never felt before or since and actually made me laugh because it was surreal.  But then, I didnt have the runs.  Maybe the runs will be a blessing!

As for the movies, thats a great idea. Also, just go back to work ASAP and get your mind off your bum. That did the trick for me, just went about my daily routine and ignored it.

By the way, laser surgery was extremely successful and in my case they HPV never reappeared, not even one little bump.

I had some pain killers but I didnt take after a day or two because the pain wasnt constant, and I wanted to work.

I had full anestehsia.  My lover was in med school and he observed the surgery. He said they dilated my butt as big as a football!  I think that probably was part of the lingering pain, cause at the time, I hadn't much experience down there....

« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 12:47:59 AM by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 08:32:29 AM »
OMG dilated your anus as big as a football??!!! ahhh!
Thanks for all the tips - I have the wipes but don't have the gauze or boxers...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 08:39:59 AM »
Take it easy on the painkillers. The last thing you want is to be constipated. :o

Good luck!
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Online bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 10:56:40 AM »
I've had 2 rounds of surgery for internal/external warts.  Both times they put me out (with Propofol) for what my doc said was not a "bad" case.  My recup went pretty well both times -- the pain meds worked -- I took them for 2-3 days each time.  The constipation wasn't too bad from the drugs, and I really didn't mind not having to crap that first day anyway ::).  Take lots of fiber which can help both diarrhea and constipation.  The baths definitely helped -- make the water as hot as you can stand.
both times I scheduled the procedures on Wednesday and took the rest of the week off.  Was back to work on Monday both times, and I even played tennis after 4 days the second time.  Whatever you did -- listen to you body, if you don't think you should work out -- then don't.

Good luck,
Mike
Atripla - Started 12/05
Reyataz/Norvir - Added 6/06
Labs - Pre-Meds
Sep05 T=350/25% VL98,559
Nov05 288/18%  47,564
Current Labs
May2013 691/31% <20

Offline northernguy

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 04:49:35 PM »
Is there any reason they're doing this surgically, rather than through infrared coagulation?  IRC is the procedure they use here at the HIV Centre for Excellence and I'm told its much easier.  They just use the same small scope they use to biopsy the warts, and then use this laser-like device to burn it, and gently scrape off the dead tissue.  Much less invasive.  I'll probably get mine removed that way in January, after a couple of years of monitoring them.
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline bobino

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 03:00:48 AM »
Like northernguy, I was also wondering why they were doing this surgically.  I had some high grade dysplasia lesions (internal) removed using infrared coagulation as well.  They gave me pain killers for afterwards, but I didn't need them.  There was bleeding for about a week, but it really wasn't bad at all.  I took a day off of work to recover, but I really could have gone right back to work the next day.
Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 09:45:15 AM »
hmmm, I honestly don't know what this doctor is doing to remove the HPV.  I just figured it was surgery since his title is Colorectal Surgeon.

And thanks again to everyone for the advice and well wishes! ;D
I'll videotape the procedure and post it on YouTube - just kidding!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 09:46:56 AM by GNYC09 »

Offline shreveman

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 06:57:24 PM »
Hello:

I had this surgery several years ago with general anesthesia with no complications or recurrence. I took pain pills afterwards, like Vicodin or Lortab. You might want to ask for a prescription. As far as diarrhea goes, I have had some extreme bouts due to various reasons and keep Lomotil on hand. My doctors have always treated it with Lomotil and some fiber/bulk agent. You might want to ask for some of that from your surgeon or your ID doctor to keep on hand. I used to work out a lot. I'd go back to the gym when you feel you're ready and not having pain. Good luck with your surgery.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 07:24:38 PM »
I had my surgery this morning. It turns out my surgeon used an electric current instead of infrared coagulation to zap everything.  And I was anesthetized with propofol, which burned when it first entered but eventually worked great. (I thought of Michael Jackson when I heard they were using propofol).

Afterwards, it took a while for my two Vicodins to kick in and squash the feeling that I had given birth to a double-decker bus that was then set on fire.  Ouch!  :( I expect I'll feel better tomorrow...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 10:36:55 PM »

(I thought of Michael Jackson when I heard they were using propofol).

;D

Glad to hear you've got it over and done with. So much better than the alternative.

Hang in there and keep on smiling. Get yourself some babywipes for the bathroom - I swear by the damn things. ;)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 12:50:51 AM »
I'm glad you're doing well!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 02:33:15 AM »
Hi,

Glad to hear that all went well.  Now, take it easy.  Here's wishing you a speedy recovery !!

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 12.5mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started my first  HAART regimen  on October 24th,03.

Current % is at 11%

62 years young.

Offline mattdude

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 01:59:49 PM »
Hey, I just posted re: my HPV surgery last week.

I disagree with not changing your dressing for two days. I was told to remove mine (it was only external) that evening and to take a warm bath. There will be a lot of "discharge" (gross word) so you need to change it frequently. Also, I was farting blood and you don't want that stuff lingering around an open wound. The cleaner and dryer the better.

I was back at the gym for the first time within 5 days and back on my bike in 4.

And oh my god - the football dilation.....!! My poor ass hole! It hates me so much already!

The meds will constipate you so go easy with what food you eat after surgery. Lots of fruit and fibre and take the meds they prescribe.

Good luck mate!

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 05:56:52 PM »
Hi GNYC, nice to see that you had the procedure and are doing well.  I can't even imagine the discomfort you were going through.  Hope you a have restful/healing weekend  :)

Big Hug,

M.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 09:38:57 PM »
Thanks for all the well wishes. I definitely feel better although this morning I had a bowel movement that had me crying out for mercy.
Onwards and upwards I guess...

Offline jerek

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 12:03:42 PM »
i have had warts removed twice both internally and externally and have not had any of these negative side effects.  i felt no pain after or when having a bowel movement.  i went back to work the next day and they gym the following.  hell i was having intercourse again by week 4.  maybe being a big ol'e bottom does come in handy sometimes :) lol!

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 12:48:12 PM »
Hello, I am wondering if a low CD4 count might contribute to a slow recovery from a surgery?
I'm asking because it's been 12 days since my HPV surgery and I still haven't recovered.  I am still frequently in major pain and, according to the proctologist that I saw yesterday, I am still very inflammed (he was surprised by my level of inflammation).  Luckily, the proctologist couldn't find evidence of an infection/abscess.  I've had my pain killers upgraded to Percocet but they don't take away the pain, they just make it more tolerable.  I'm also on Extra Stength Tylenol for the inflammation. And the weight that I worked so friggin' hard to gain during the past few weeks has been lost.  :-[  This definitely hasn't been a good year health-wise but I'm sure I'll bounce back some day! 

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 08:41:49 PM »

I'm asking because it's been 12 days since my HPV surgery and I still haven't recovered.  I am still frequently in major pain and, according to the proctologist that I saw yesterday, I am still very inflammed (he was surprised by my level of inflammation). 

Is the pain concentrated on the exterior ones that were removed or the interior?  I Really didn't experience all that much pain, after the clusters of exterior ones were removed. There was still a lot of discomfort, swelling and redness, tenderness ( no infection) for at least two weeks after the surgery. And then it seemed, that after the two week mark, things started healing quickly.

On the exterior,  I was using triple antibiotic ointment, which seemed to help.

At least your doctor said there was no infection going on.  What else is your doctor suggesting to you to help you through this?

Ray

Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

Current % is at 11%

62 years young.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 06:03:40 PM »
The pain is actually 90% in the interior.  It's mostly major discomfort but since I have been blessed to have "bile acid diarrhea", my butt BURNS when I poop.  I took Immodium today, have been eating tons of fiber and still had diarrhea 11x today! Damn! Not easy on those sensitive parts.  I have a Dr's appt tomorrow and am demanding SOMETHING, anything.  I do seem to be healing as I no longer need pain killers for the discomfort.  Oh, and I am using diaper rash ointment (zinc oxide) per my proctologist's recommendation, which helps on the outside but I am too sore to get it inside.  Ugh, I hope this is over soon as it's really getting me down.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 06:24:58 PM »
There's an excellent product called Calmoseptine (better than diaper rash ointment), a little of it goes a long way.

If you are in NYC they have it at Bigelow's, on 6th Avenue (and probably other places too).

Offline mattdude

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2009, 12:00:27 PM »
Hey man,

Wow. You're definitely a trooper for getting through a day with 11x diarrhea after HPV surgery. You're my new hero, I think.

Take a lot of warm baths - especially after each time you poop. It will clean the area and reduce any muscle pain you have around there.

Also: Does Tylenol affect inflammation? I was under the impression (and practice) of using Advil or Ibuprofin for inflammation. I could be wrong, but Advil has always reduced any swelling I've had.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 05:30:46 PM »
GNY,

So how your doing?   Any improvement ?

Ray
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 05:48:58 PM by J.R.E. »
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

Current % is at 11%

62 years young.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2009, 08:42:40 PM »
Hey GNY, hope you're doing better.  Sorry to read that you have been in pain after the procedure :(
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2009, 09:07:58 PM »
Hi, thank you everyone. Good news - I think I am fully recuperated now.  :) Hot sitz baths (and Immodium) helped a lot!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.