POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 01:43:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 636388
  • Total Topics: 48294
  • Online Today: 165
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 136
Total: 140

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: High creatinine levels  (Read 7903 times)

Offline yesican

High creatinine levels
« on: August 11, 2009, 11:27:23 PM »
My last trip to the dr he told me my creatinine levels were climbing. i was diagnosed in late dec 2008 and started meds in early january. I am on truvada, prezista and norvir, I can't spell so look over that. He seems to think it might be something to do with the truvada. Has anyone ever had anything like this. I am so stressed, first  i find out im hiv + then everything else seems to be falling apart. I really just wnat to give up. This all has something to do with my kidneys and how they are preforning, im so lost. !!!!!!!!!!

Offline smalltown66

Re: High creatinine levels
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 12:18:25 AM »
yesican,

I too have climbing creatinine levels. I am also taking Truvada along with Norvir and Reyataz. I was diagnosed with stage three Chronic Kidney Disease. I have large amount of proteins in my urine and other kidney related problems.My doctor and I are currently deciding whether or not it is a good idea to change drug regimens.

I am trying to read up on current information about HIV and Kidney disease so I can make proper decisions. I think educating yourself as much as possible about your condition will help a lot in your overall outcome

hang in there! There are things that can be done to slow down the progression of kidney disease.

Good luck

Smalltown66
Lifting the weight of the world sure is easier with others with the same goal.

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 07:16:33 AM »
YesIcan

Sorry to hear about your issues, good luck with that.
But why are you posting in the LTS forum as you are someone recently diagnosed?
Please post in the living with or another forum

Thanks,
Sharkdiver

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 12:51:41 PM »
There have been connections made with use of tenofovir (found in Truvada) and reduced kidney function. Anyone taking tenofovir should have regular creatinine readings in order to be able to spot any potential problems. As I understand it, when caught early, this can usually be resolved and sometimes it does require a change of meds.

As Dr. Gallant has said: Kidney damage caused tenofovir is usually reversible, provided you don't wait too long.

The link below has several Q&A's with the latest information on tenofovir and kidney function.

LINK

http://www.hopkins-hivguide.org/q_a/patient/antiretroviral_therapy/antiretroviral_agents/nucleoside_and_nucleotide_reverse_transcriptase_inhibit/tenofovir_and_kidney_function_-_latest_studies.html?contentInstanceId=488399

There are also two websites where you can calculate your kidney function (i.e. creatinine clearance) LINKS:

http://mdrd.com/

http://www.clinicalculator.com/english/nephrology/cockroft/cca.htm

PS: If taking tenofovir or any of the drugs containing it such as Truvada and Atripla, I would avoid (or keep to an absolute minimum) ibuprofen and naproxen (Advil and Aleve), since these have also been implicated with reduced kidney function. There was another thread about this and a couple of people said they thought it was silly and they would go ahead and take their Advil and Aleve along with tenofovir. It's a personal choice and I personally wouldn't do it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 12:58:49 PM by Inchlingblue »

Offline yesican

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 03:16:41 AM »
Thanks for all the advice guys, it realy helps when there is someone out there that is dealing or understands what I don't. I didn't know about the advil and alleve issues. I take advil al the time, wish I had known. Again thanks for the info.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 11:16:27 AM »
The other alternative is acetaminophen (Tylenol) which has more of an effect on the liver than the kidneys. I think what's important is not to overdo it with any of these over-the-counter pain meds. Once in a while is probably OK but every day or almost every day is pushing it.

If you have some kidney issues, assuming your liver is OK, I'd take Tylenol instead of Advil or Aleve and keep it at a minimum.

They are working on a new version of acetaminophen (Tylenol) that will be easier on the liver but it is not out yet.

PS: The reason Advil and Aleve affect the kidneys is because they are categorized as NSAIDs, so basically it's all NSAIDs, not just those two.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 11:20:23 AM by Inchlingblue »

Offline carpediem98

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 06:13:12 PM »
Hi there,
I wonder if there's any evidence to show that Tenofovir is more dangerous when used in conjunction with a boosting agent like Norvir?

As everyone else said, try not to worry yourself too much - depending on your HIV genotype/s there's likely another very viable combination that will work for you.  A lot of people who don't want to take tenofovir are having success with boosted Reyataz and Isentress...  I hate the idea of Norvir, but I love my Isentress... if I develop any kidney issues, I'm going to ask my doctor to look up the research on a Reyataz+Emtricitabine+Isentress combo.  Not sure WHAT the research says about that (do the blood levels drop or elevate too much?  Not sure...)

Good luck!

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 06:26:37 PM »
There was a small non-randomized study that looked unboosted Reyataz and Isentress on people who already had UD viral load from a previous successful regimen, and for the most part it worked.

It needs to be studied further and it's tricky because they each only require one mutation to become ineffective but there is a larger clinical trial that will be looking at this combo.

I think if it works that would be great, only two meds and both very tolerable.

LINK:

http://www.acria.org/clinical_trials/TrialsSearch/detail.asp?StudyId=3123&Tname=ISENTRESS+%26+REYATAZ&City=&State=&Region=

Offline yesican

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 11:47:25 PM »
Thanks again guys and gals for all the feedback. It helps to not feel so alone dealing with all this. I go for labs on aug 20th for the kidney issue and haven't had advil in over a month. Had it almost daily for the last 7 months, the whole time I have been on my meds. I wish I  had the info I got here and maybe things wouldn't be going wrong now. I have terrible headaches and tylenol don't cut it for me. Had them all my life, guess Im talking to the dr about something that will cut the headache and not affect my meds.
Thanks again for all your concern and information, I really apperciate it.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 03:07:49 PM »
These two links have excellent information about tenofovir and kidney function:

Researchers in the United Kingdom recently conducted a large review of health records at two major HIV treating centres. Over a period of eight years their findings suggest that, for the most part, tenofovir (Viread) is a safe drug for the kidneys. However, tenofovir was associated with kidney damage among a subset of patients. The kidney damage cleared when the patients stopped taking the drug. Factors that placed tenofovir users at risk for kidney dysfunction are discussed later in this report.

LINKS:

http://www.catie.ca/tu.nsf/df739470490ae50d8525717f0061769d/6f1ff8d66acafe128525760e006b1a49!OpenDocument

http://www.catie.ca/tu.nsf

Offline yesican

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 11:29:01 PM »
Update. I just hgot the results of a 30 day check up on the creatinine lever. I have gone from 1.39 to 1.23 in 30 days, things are looking up and they tell me at the dr office that I am in a normal range for my age now, Thats a relief !

Offline LTSurviver

• LTS since 1987. LTNP until 2008.
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 12:05:08 AM »
Some little known facts about creatinine levels:

Before having a test you should limit how much red meat you eat in the prior 24 hours to 8oz or less and do not do a lot of heavy lifting.

I'm a body builder and I made the mistake of twice having my blood drawn after workouts and while eating a diet high in red meat.  I also take a daily creatine shake.

One the DR stopped freaking out of a level near 2.0, we looked deeper and figured out what was causing it.  The next test I limited my red meat intake for 24 hours, took no creatine that day and did not lift or do cardio that day.  My level was down to 1.2.

Just a heads up.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 12:09:39 PM »

I'm a body builder and I made the mistake of twice having my blood drawn after workouts and while eating a diet high in red meat.  I also take a daily creatine shake.

You make a very good point. I just want to add, I don't think it's only red meat that affects creatinine levels but a high protein diet in general.

Offline ZCorker

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 01:42:21 PM »
Well if you had done your reading before taking this drug, you would have known that some people are genetically susceptible to kidney damage from Viread, a component of Truvada.  There is actually a blood test for this.  However, your doctor may not be familiar with it.  May I suggest that you find out what that blood tests is from Natap or post a question to PozHealth, a Yahoo Group and then go back to your doctor.

As a general rule, any patient who experiences more than .5 increase in creatine in a single month must permanently stop Viread or run the risk of loosing your kidneys.  All of the literature we have seen to date indicates that people who are on Viread in combination with Norvir, will experience a reduction in kidney function (reduction in GCF) -- including people who ARE NOT genetically susceptible to kidney damage from Viread..  Unless there is a compelling reason, you should explore the merits of replacing Norvir with the new Norvir replacement that is under development.  You might be able to get it through clinical trials.  Some of my informants tells me that the Norvir replacement will be on the streets next March or April.

On or about 2004, a number of clinicians from John Hopkins published guidelines on when and what types of blood tests should be run for Viread.  They recommend monthly tests for Creatinin, Magnesium, Phosphorous, Urea, and Nitrogen.  You may want to look up the articles on this.  Again this is on the net and widely published.

Many clinicians think that quarterly tests are sufficient with Viread and the literature indicates not true -- particularly if you are genetically susceptible or on Norvir.

In many people, Viread causes tubular necrosis.  You may want to get involved with the patient advocacy groups that are trying to do organ repair.  You may find them at stemcellpioneers.com  For a start, the latest research on tubular repair appears to be coming out of the Netherlands.  In January 2009, they discovered the differentiation process that stem cells need to do in order to fix the tubes.  If you want to see a human trial, you will need to get activated.  Also, be prepared to go outside of the country for treatment.  The majority of patients who are getting organ repair help are going outside of the US.  I know of one person who had a type of cancer that could be cured with a treatment developed by Stanford, but he had to go to Spain to get it. 

Zee
 :'(

Offline RedBear

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 07:11:25 PM »
Hi all, I just got back from my cardiologist appointment today.  Cardio is doing much better, but they noted that within one month my creatinine level jumped from 1.1 to 1.6.  They were concerned that this may be an indicator of kidney issues.  Up to this point all has been fine with my levels. The only thing that had changed in the past month was that I joined a clinical trial changing from Truvada and Kaletra to Kaletra amd Isentress.  Anyone else have this problem.  Does the creatinine level spike and then level out when first starting Isentress?  Any thoughts would be great.  David
Finish each day and be done with it.  You have done what you could.  Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can.  Tomorrow is a new day.  You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with you old nonsense. 
                              Emerson

Offline yesican

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 08:01:28 PM »
Someone on here told me that I shouldn't  be taking any advill or alleve products They sent me a web page from john hopkins, look back in near the beginning of this post and you will find it, take a look at it. Im taking norvir prezista and truvada. I had been taking as many as 12 advile a week till I read this.  After 30 days off the advi I had bloodwork checking the kidney issues that had been climbing for 6 months and guess what there noe falling. It might help

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.