Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:39:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 193
Total: 194

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: oh no , stopped worrying and now worrying again..Viral load  (Read 5498 times)

Offline motherinneed

oh no , stopped worrying and now worrying again..Viral load
« on: August 05, 2009, 07:33:23 am »
My son just went to the doctor to review his labs. His CD4 is 433 so it went up significantly. His T cells are still undetectable. He is very compliant with his meds. Atripla but due to his schedule changing alot he may have taken the med an hour late several times. I did not think that one hour could cause a problem with developing resistance...Can that one hour cause resistance? He is thinking he is going to die sooner now. I am trying to be calm around him but I want to scream and cry as I do not want to lose my son or see him suffer. The doctor wants him to take labs again in december. Isn't that too long of a wait, what if he is resistant and he waits till december? That scares me. The MD did say if he gets too worried he can do the labs earlier. Should I be spazing out with worry or do I need to calm down as there are alot of meds out there he can use if he is resistant. He also recently had a cold but did not have the cold when he had his labs.. could this have effected the CD4?
Lots of questions, please someone give me some insight as I am trying not to cry.
sincerely,
motherinneed

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: worried, but am I overreacting
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 07:47:35 am »
Mother,

Yes, you need to calm down. 433 is a very good number. He's not going anywhere anytime soon. Relax!

When taking Atripla and undetectable for as long as your son has been (going by your posts, it's a couple years, at least) an hour isn't going to make a bit of difference. Stop worrying that he's going to become resistant just because he's not taking them bang-on 24 hours apart.

The most important thing is that he's taking them every day. The timing at this point isn't that important, it's the overall regularity.

He's going to be just fine, so dry your tears.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline motherinneed

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 07:49:38 am »
Thank you Ann.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 07:56:29 am »
Mother,

Two things I missed out in my first post...

Colds and things can affect CD4 counts - BUT - as your son is on treatment, the most important thing is that he remains undetectable. CD4 counts can and do fluctuate on an hourly basis, so don't worry too much about them.

People who are on treatment and stable (and your son IS stable) go anywhere from between three to six months between appointments. The trend these days is to have people such as your son go between four and six. When a person has been undetectable for as long as your son has been, and is good about taking their meds everyday, there's really no reason to go more frequently. Of course, it also depends on how comfortable the person is with waiting. If something comes up between appointments, he can always make an interim appointment to get whatever is worrying him checked out.

He's going to be fine. Really.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline motherinneed

oh no , stopped worrying and now worrying again..Viral load
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 10:51:59 am »
Dear Ann,

His viral load is now 133, is was undetectable before
CD4 439

okay since the viral load is higher, now is it a resistance to the medication?
need you input.
thank you.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: oh no , stopped worrying and now worrying again..Viral load
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 11:05:51 am »
Mother,

This is most likely what we call a "blip". And NO, it does not automatically mean resistance.

OK, look at it like this. The reason VL tests are not used as a tool for diagnosing hiv is because they are prone to FALSE POSITIVE results. What this means is that a person who absolutely does NOT have hiv can have a VL test done and have it come back with a detectable viral load. These false positive results are typically under 1000. This is most likely what has happened in your son's case.

If you look through these forums, you'll find PLENTY of cases like this where someone who was previously undetectable had a blip. In the majority of cases, the next VL test comes back undetectable. In fact, I can't remember this not being the case in someone who is compliant (takes their meds every day) like your son.

What's usually done in a case like this is another VL is done on a fresh batch of blood, usually within one to four weeks.

From what you told us in the other thread, I do not expect this to be anything other than a blip. They happen.

And his CD4 is fine.

Also, I'm going to merge your threads. Please try to keep follow-on posts like this in with the original thread where you first brought the concern/subject up. It just makes it easier for people to follow what's going on and therefore offer pertinent comments.

Ann

edited to fix annoying typos
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 11:10:23 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline motherinneed

Re: oh no , stopped worrying and now worrying again..Viral load
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 11:56:47 am »
Thank you.
sorry I was going to continue in the same thread but then I thought the old thread was ended so I started a new one. Thanks for fixing that..
Thank you again for your quick responses.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.