POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 12:06:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 620498
  • Total Topics: 46752
  • Online Today: 221
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Posted Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" AIDSmeds forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future AIDSmeds Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all AIDSmeds pages, including our "How is HIV Transmitted?" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" lessons, will remain accessible to all. 

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: A Query  (Read 1608 times)

Offline scared1234

A Query
« on: July 16, 2009, 01:15:40 PM »
Hi All.
First of all i would like to congratulate all those involved with the site with the good work they are doing.
I am a 29 year old hetro male living in the middle east. And although i am not that sexually active but i did indulge in some risky behaviour in 2007.  I performed oral sex on a CSW, now i know Oral sex carries only a theoritical risk ,nevertheless i would like to point out that my oral habits arent really that good.I have had bleeding gums and tooth decay for quite some time and continue to do so.
Sex wise,  performing cunnilingus  without any protection  has been my only risk factor, as i have always used condoms for vaginal sex, no exceptions.
My last sexual act was in august of 2008, it was only protected vaginal sex, nothing else (i have NOT had sex since then).
I finally mustered enough courage to get tested in march of 2009,blood was drawnd from my vein and that was it.
It was a Rapid Immunoassay and i tested negative, the results were given to me in about 2 hours time.
My query is, are rapid immunoassays same as ELISA tests? further more how realiable are they?
I ask about this because i got the results in 2 hours!
After that test i felt relieved and was going on about my business until after about 3 days later  i developed some sort of blisters on my lower lip, they were painless. That freaked me out and my mind kept racing back to the fact that the lab where i tested, could have used a "used" neelde on me. Because i never had any blisters of that sort ever before!
My other query is, if they did use a "used" needlle on me, how much of a risk i was at? nothing was injected into me, only blood was drawn out of me.
Other than that towards the end of march i started to get these really bad headaches, like pain behind the eyeballs. I read up somewhere that sero-converters have these sort of headaches.
I would also like to know what "swollen lymphnodes"are? how do they feel and look like?
are they visible to the naked eye? coz i cannot say if my nodes are swollen or not, although i do have shoulder and neck ache since over a month now.
Let me also state that this whole year since jan till today, i havent fallen sick or had any rashes or anything, but i also know that not all people have symptoms and thats freaking me out more.
Furthermore after the test i developed some sort of fordyce boils/spots in my underarms which are not going away no matter how much i shave them!
Hiv is not an easy issue in the middle east bcoz of the social stigma attached to it.
If a person is found to be positive, he/she is immediately expelled from the country, hence i worry.
I would like Ann and Andy's answers/comments on my situation.
Thanking you all in advance and God  bless!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: A Query
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 01:22:53 PM »
You are worrying needlessly. I wouldn't have even thought testing was necessary over the incident you mention. But since you did get tested, yes, that was an approved test and your result is reliable.

As for your symptoms, you should discuss them with your doctor. They have nothing to do with HIV. This is not an HIV situation. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline scared1234

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 08:49:42 PM »
Hey Andy!
Thanks for the prompt reply.
I feel somewhat relieved.
Athough i do not want to put you off, but i would like to mention that right after the test, (which was in march), in early May i developed some sort of a throat infection and since then i have sort of developed a "lump" feeling in my throat, i dont know what it is. Add to the fact that i have started to notice white blotches on my tongue and some sort of a  geographic tongue which comes and goes.
I am terribly sorry to bother you once again but i would like your clarification.
Also you did not answer my previous question i.e what exatly are swollen lymph nodes? are they visible? are they painful?
That is all!
And i wont bother you with further questions..
Thanks a lot and sorry once again!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 08:58:30 PM »
See your doctor for your concerns they have nothing to do with HIV.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 05:03:49 PM »
There are lymph nodes around the body. They are very sensitive and can become swollen for all sorts of reasons that have nothing to do with HIV.

They can become noticeably swollen, sensitive and even painful. But again, when that happens it can be related to various things going on in the body. If it persists for more than a few days it's something to discuss with your doctor. And to keep your hands off of.

We cannot diagnose anything here. So if you have concerns about your tongue or anything else, tell it to your doctor. I can tell you tha nothing you are micro-watching is in any way suggestive of HIV. But then that's not a surprise since you didn't have a risk for HIV.   
Andy Velez

Offline scared1234

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 02:21:19 PM »
Thanks Andy!
i wont pose any "ifs" or "buts" questions here.
since i have been celibate since about a year now i guess i am quite safe!
thanks once again and god bless!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 02:47:34 PM »
You're welcome.

And if and when you decide to give up celibacy, just make sure that whether for anal or vaginal intercourse, you are always wearing a condom. No exceptions. 
Andy Velez

Offline scared1234

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 05:18:12 PM »
Helly Andy,
I know i had promised not to post here. I probably might get a warning for posting too.
But i was just wondering if a "used" needle is inserted into someone for drawing blood, what are the chances of being positive from this one time incident?
Please do reply and thanks for being so patient!
God bless!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 05:22:01 PM »
Move on..

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 05:51:02 PM »
A used needle?!!!  That's what we call as being in the "what if" category.

We've already made our thoughts very clear about your incident. And we're not going to indulge you in taking this latest scare thought seriously.

You were not at risk. Period. End of story. Get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline scared1234

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 01:58:25 PM »
Hey Andy,Rapid and all others...
I hope this is my last post here and that i wont have any need to post here in future.
3 days back i had to go for a complete body/health check up. It is necessary to get a new visa or once every 2/3 years for visa renewal.They check the blood for everything all STD's including HIV.
I got my results on Monday and i am perfectly fine! I was thrilled about this!
I just want to thank all you guys for bearing with my paranoid behavior and being so patient.
I will be extra careful in the future regarding sex.
And i sincerely hope and pray that one day a cure for this dreaded disease is found.
Thanks everyone and God bless!!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.